Author Topic: Jersey General Hospital  (Read 59888 times)

corkie

Jersey General Hospital
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
I have just done a stint in the hospital as i got takin bad and had to go to A & E. Anyway i was put on a low fat food diet because of the illness i had which was a truma, all that i got offered to eat was Chicken at lunch Chicken at tea time you got a cooked lunch and salads or sandwiches for tea, the day b4 i am let out im told told there is a special diet sheet which i can order from for the following days meal (what a surprise as i went home the next day) i did complain about the fact all i was being offered was chicken and was told at the time (we cater for all diet requirements at each meal) and yes they do but if your a long term patient as i was im sure you wouldn't want chicken everyday!

My question is: the states are getting all this extra money i seriously think the health service it provides should be looked in to Big Time and some of this extra money should be spent there.

I have had my eyes opened some what, to the health service with regards to the food, waiting time for scans/xrays and i think the best one was i had a prob with my eyes and had to see someone at the eye clinic i got told whilst im an inpatient 3 days in out of my 8 day stay that an appointment had been made for me for 2 weeks time to which i replied well thats stupid the prob with my eyes is now it would have cleared up in 2 weeks no point in going then, funny how i saw the eye doctor the next morning after the compliant ( but it makes we wonder if there is any logic in the place).

I couldnt wait to get out dont get me wrong the Nurses work hard and i did get great care from them but as for the rest of my stay (NAH)

Jason the Maverick

Re: Jersey General Hospital
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
This sounds terrible!

And I bet you feel better after getting out of there Corkie!

Do you think it may be down to a lack of funding that could be the cause of all these problems?

Offline Hayesann

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:40:23 PM »
You seem to have had a difficult time. I worry, if I was admitted as I don't eat meat. The last 3 times I was only in overnight, never was I offered a non meat hot meal!

Offline jez strickland

• Forthcomingbusiness
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »
Corkie, I work in the place and can tell you many stories! Sometimes I think a blog should be in order.

The sure fire way of getting 3 hot meals a day is to have private medical insurance. The private wing has it's own dedicated chef working to quite a decent menu. Alas this option is beyond most of us.

If anyone visits hospital your meals are:

Breakfast - cereals, fruit, toast*.

Lunch - hot meals including non-meat

Evening - sandwiches, salad, soup. Hot meals are regularly served on children's ward, and maternity in the evening. If a patient arrives after the evening meal has been served, then ask the housekeepers for a hot meal from maternity. Most offer this as a matter of course. If not, nurses and housekeepers will rustle something up. Hot meals are also served on all wards if you are subject to a dietry requirement such as low fibre/fat/potassium. This is where the menu comes in that Corkie was made aware of all too late. If you have a dietry requirement then you request next day's lunch, and have the option of ordering a hot evening meal (It's at the top of the menu just under the name and dietry particulars) Remeber this evening option as it is often forgotten by staff.
That's an advantage if you've been put on a diet for medical reasons. However the menu also caters for existing diets such as vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free. Now I'm not suggesting that you falsify your account, but what's to stop you becoming a vegetarian for a few days? Or you have been told you have a gluten intolerance, and therefore no more sandwiches, but hot meals instead. I have not only seen someone claim they have a gluten intolerance, but also ignore the no-pasta (wheat = gluten), and order bolognaise. The nurses do not raise the issue as most wish for an easy shift, or do not begrudge anyone having a hot meal in the evening.

* toast get's a special mention in the hospital. It is not made from bread as we know it but a flour/cement mix. Half the geriatric patients need help cutting it. It's that tough I've seen plates crack during forceful attempts to cut it! But it's the making of the toast that deserves special status as it's responsible for 99% of fire service call outs to the hospital. Wards use large toasters that have been in service for years and most fail to pop up and while the girls are serving breakfast the toast continues to burn setting off the fire alarms.
Now for years I've mentioned that the wards buy new toasters, but what was the directive from management? - Housekeepers are to stay with the toaster for the duration and close the kitchen firedoors.

Just a quick mention about waste. Every lunch time there is surplus food which is churned down the waste disposal sink. Several kilos on each ward, every day. Apart from the waste implications you wouldn't begrudge some of the less well paid staff from eating the remains? No chance it's a sackable offence - down the sink it goes.

corkie

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »
I understand that the staff at the hospital have a hard job, and i do hold my hands up to them (as i couldnt do there job) but my compliant was the fact that ALL the staff knew i was on a special low fat diet for my medical condition and not one off them told me about the special diet sheet available.

For example the sandwiches of an evening were laced with mayo, soup was always cream of something, and lets be honest who will eat lettuce every night!!!!.

I can well understand the waste of the food per day judging by what was left on the food trolleys at each meal time, and i think its a disgrace that the staff are not allowed to eat it.
Why cant it be sent just across the road to the Shelter im sure they would appreciate it, i know if i was there i would!!!

All im saying is that the whole health scheme needs to be looked at, i am now out of hospital being told i have to wait for my mri scan as an out patient which should have been done whilst i was an inpatient but was told that they had no idea when they could fit me in, mabe if i was a private patient it would have been done by now and i would have had my results and be able to lead a normal life again without the worry of my illness flaring up again at any givin time and ending up doing another 8/9 days in hospital enjoying the lovely food again!!!!

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:36:03 AM »
If I were you I would have nipped across the road to the Mandarin  8)

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
I have never had to stay in hospital but thanks for the warning  :-\

Offline newmac

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »

All im saying is that the whole health scheme needs to be looked at, i am now out of hospital being told i have to wait for my mri scan as an out patient which should have been done whilst i was an inpatient but was told that they had no idea when they could fit me in, mabe if i was a private patient it would have been done by now and i would have had my results and be able to lead a normal life again without the worry of my illness flaring up again at any givin time and ending up doing another 8/9 days in hospital enjoying the lovely food again!!!!

My wife has had to wait just under 3 weeks for a urgent MRI scan  and that's on private insurance

Offline en830

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
If I were you I would have nipped across the road to the Mandarin  8)

I wouldn't I've seen pictures of how they store their meat products. I haven't been back since.
You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Davros Le Sueur

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
I wouldn't I've seen pictures of how they store their meat products. I haven't been back since.
I had a takeaway from there last year.
Guts were in agony for a couple of days.

Offline en830

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »
I have it on good authority that the take away/restaurant with the best hygiene record in St Helier is Indian Ocean.
You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:31:10 PM »
The Mandarin is my favourite  ;D

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »
I just had a takeaway from there tonight! Bloody lovely, best in the island. No gut problems yet, but I will re-post as soon as anything happens  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tory Boy

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »
Been there for office lunch and it was good, loads of food and less than a tenner.

Offline jez strickland

• Forthcomingbusiness
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
Good grief!

Corbiere ward closed again. This time noro-virus.