Author Topic: Advertising hoardings  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Al

Advertising hoardings
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:11:14 AM »
I always thought that there was legislation over here against advertising hoardings and large signs, laws intended to keep the island looking good and prevent the proliferation that blights areas of the UK.
So I was surprised to see today a very large sign adverting bmi baby attached to the exterior stairwell of Sand Street carpark. I suppose the only thing that can be said in its defence is that nothing could make that building look any more ugly. If this legislation exists, and the States, as owners of this property, want to flout the law and cover the entire building in advertising signs it could only be an improvement.

Offline Pomme de terre

Re: Advertising hoardings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »
I always thought that there was legislation over here against advertising hoardings and large signs, laws intended to keep the island looking good and prevent the proliferation that blights areas of the UK.
So I was surprised to see today a very large sign adverting bmi baby attached to the exterior stairwell of Sand Street carpark. I suppose the only thing that can be said in its defence is that nothing could make that building look any more ugly. If this legislation exists, and the States, as owners of this property, want to flout the law and cover the entire building in advertising signs it could only be an improvement.

Law was changed recently. Car park advertising now allowed. There's a Broadlands ad as you exit Sand St nowadays. And one set of doors of the airport are EasyJet orange now.

If it keeps GST down, so be it.

Chief Minister

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »
I Wonder how long it will be before the Donks advertise themselves as GST Free????

Offline Al

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:23:40 PM »
So now it's all explained... Several days after it appeared, the huge sign on Sand Street car park is justified by Guy de Faye on page 7 of tonights JEP as part of 'a drive to get more available cash to spend on public transport'. Seems more like desperation and barrel-scraping to me and the idea of advertising Breitling watches (see the Marketing Bureau website http://www.marketingbureaujersey.com/Services/Car-Parks/ ) by lifts which are shut down overnight because they are allegedly used by people shooting up suggests, perhaps, that the market for which they are aiming are brand-aspirational junkies. Admittedly, over here, brand-aspirational junkies constitute a market which cannot be ignored.
But perhaps Guy de Faye is missing another potential source of extra revenue... In addition to the car parks and buses, there is another significant space which is rarely far from public attention and could also be exploited to sell advertising. For anyone whose target market can be found in the States Assembly, in the Transport and Technical Services department or even down at the Lamplighter there is a large and unique area onto which could be fixed a significantly sized hoarding prominently advertising your product.
Yes!!! Fresh from its valiant duty as 'a large bag of aggregrate' helping to shore up our sea defences, Guy de Faye's stomach could now be used to promote your product!!! Imagine your logo proudly and prominently displayed as he takes his place in the States Assembly drawing the attention of the Hourable Members all around him, or getting covered in drool, spilt beer and peanut crumbs as Guy relaxes after a hard day at the office by spouting rubbish to anyone in the pub who vaguely looks as tho' they are paying attention. No advertising of anything political, of course, and, ideally, something related to alcohol and its consumption as significant groundwork has already been done in preparing this perfect site.
This commercial space could generate "in the tens of thousands of pounds rather than the thousands"
Anyone interested in this unique opportunity will have to register their interest quickly as surely it won't be very long before Dandara notice this large vacant space and apply to build a complex of attractive single-unit dwellings on it!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:48:35 AM by Al »