Author Topic: The coming election  (Read 403 times)

Offline boatyboy

The coming election
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
These politicians have made it known they want to stay in office and be elected next time to represent you again.

Will you let them stay by voting for them, or is it time to say adios ?

They are:

St John Constable Chris Taylor

St Mary Constable Juliette Gallichan

St Brelade Constable Steve Pallett

St Saviour Constable Sadie Rennard

Grouville Constable John Le Maistre

St Helier District 2 Deputy Sam Mézec

Grouville Deputy Carolyn Labey

St Helier District 1 Deputy Judy Martin

St Helier District 3/4 Deputy Richard Rondel

St Ouen Deputy Richard Renouf

St Helier District 3/4 Deputy Jackie Hilton

St Saviour District 1 Deputy Jeremy Maçon

St Mary Deputy David Johnson

St Brelade District 2 Deputy Graham Truscott

St Helier District 1 Deputy Russell Labey

Deputy Andrew Lewis

Planning Minister Steve Luce.

Read more at https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2017/09/22/third-of-members-to-stand-in-next-election/#qRoUmXsjvgwMJYMH.99
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:10:54 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: The coming election
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »
It's not really a matter of whether I want to let them stay or not because in most cases there will be no credible alternative to them on the ballot paper anyway. The vast majority will just be re-elected by default - and all those Constables you mentioned will be re-elected unopposed.

Over the past decade the States have tampered with the existing system, merging the dates of the Senators, Deputies and Constables elections in order to try to give the impression that this is a general election with something important at stake. They want voters to believe that they actually have the power to change 'the government' so that turnout will improve. Well turnout has just got worse and no - we do not have the power to change the government on election day, nor would we have that power even if Mezec's hopeless reforms had sneaked into law.

This is because there are fundamental flaws with the traditional democratic process in Jersey which have persisted for hundreds of years. For example, the ballot paper for next year's Senators will no doubt feature a majority of the current Council of Ministers (unless some decide to retire up to a Quango). Yet all of them will stand as 'independents' and some will even try to distance themselves with ambiguous statements from the more unpopular government policies that they had a part in formulating and implementing. The voters always fall for this charade and start rating the candidates on their individual personalities and populist tendencies rather than on what policies they were collectively responsible for foisting on us. The manifestos of the different Ministers will not be the same. It will be impossible to reach any consensus on what horrors these Ministers might have in store for us next if they are re-elected.

So we just elect them on their personality traits and then we find out later (some months after the election) what new taxes or charges they intend to introduce, what ancient rights of ours they intend to abolish in some 10-minute unopposed States debate that won't have to be approved by the Privy Council, what new mega-Quangos they intend to set up and which States properties they intend to flog off to a luxury homes developer beginning with 'D'.

Mezec will be reading this and saying that the answer is party politics, but this has simply never caught on despite attempts going back hundreds of years. You cannot simply implant a modern, functioning party political system into a largely medieval tradition of representation where, for example, until as late as 1948, a group of directly-elected States Members - the Jurats - were also judges of fact and law in the Royal Court. :o The first attempts (that I know of) to remove the Jurats from the States came in the late 1700's. That gives you an idea of just how long it takes to achieve any real type of political reform in Jersey. Is it any wonder that so many registered electors simply don't have any faith in the political process to achieve meaningful change before they snuff it?

So you ask me who I would vote for from that list of nobodies. Well for starters, I won't be able to vote for 15 of them as they won't appear on my own district ballot paper. Of the 2 names that I could actually vote for, I would rather marry Christian May than vote for one of them and I would only be persuaded to vote for the other one if the alternative candidates on the ballot paper happened to be N. Farage, D. Trump and K. Jong-un.

Enough said.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:28:39 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
Well ozouf, gorst, maclean bailhache green routier farnham  no way will i vote for them!
Deputy norton no vote.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
Well, we all know there is another party. Establishment Party!   If only the people would look at them in this way then the est.party would not get in.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:16 AM »
Well ozouf, gorst, maclean bailhache green routier farnham  no way will i vote for them!
Deputy norton no vote.

Would you vote for someone with a haircut as bad as this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel103/status/912610093539250176

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Lord Labey catches some Aussie rays ahead of his 2018 re-election campaign:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussellLabey/status/923810148358946816

Two questions:

1) How much has this junket cost the taxpayer?

2) Which other States Members have gone with him?

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Is it really true or fake news about Eddie Noel?

I was half asleep early this morning and listening to the local news headlines. The top stories had finished and they were just reading the pointless flim flam and I thought I heard the voice say Eddie Noel was stepping down next year and gave some reason why he was doing it. The story was over in about 5 seconds like it was nothing important. I thought: "Did I really just hear that?" and decided that as I was so tired, I couldn't have heard it correctly.

Then I get up and check the news and there was nothing about it on most media sites, but the BBC site (which announced the story this morning on the radio) had this very understated article, with a tweet from Noel apparently confirming it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-jersey-41932003?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a0eb6a6e4b0572901471e31%26Jersey%20minister%20'stepping%20down'%26&ns_fee=0#post_5a0eb6a6e4b0572901471e31

I am still very cautious. After all, the world wrote off Mugabe this week and he was shown conducting public duties in Zimbabwe today. My fear is that he just means stepping down as a Minister but he'll maintain his unopposed seat for life in St Lawrence.

If he subsequently confirms he's leaving the States then it is truly one of the best news stories for the island this year, particularly for those few employees at DFI whose jobs have not yet been siphoned off on the quiet to private companies. The public have suffered his regime of neglect too. I know a car park in town where the signs on the tarmac have not been painted for so many years that unknowing drivers (usually tourists) have been seen driving in by the exit and vice versa. Cars also park in the motorbike spaces because the sign on the tarmac stating that it is reserved for motorbikes is now completely unreadable. Another driver who arrives home late each night when this car park is full, has taken to parking in a place where he is not supposed to, sometimes restricting the access of pedestrians and other car users. The area is painted with lines making it clear that you can't park there, but once again the paint is so worn away that it seems the police have decided not to ticket this guy overnight in case he brings up the unclear signage in court as a defence.

Anyway thanks for all this, Eddie Noel. You certainly made a difference to Jersey which will linger on for years.

Now please f#*k off and never return!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:41:03 AM »
I think that once he got the road outside his own house tidied up a couple of years ago he lost all interest in DFI position.