Author Topic: Bad flooding at First Tower, Gloucester Street, Victoria Ave. tonight  (Read 14523 times)

Offline Al

Re: Bad flooding at First Tower, Gloucester Street, Victoria Ave. tonight
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »
Hey Al,

Did you see the pictures in the JEP last week of where the wall came down - in the exact same place - in the 1960s, before the land reclamation?

The pictures featured on page 25 of the JEP, March 27th, were taken by JEP photographer Reg Cridland in 1984... The damage they show is about a hundred metres further to the west of where the wall was damaged recently... And as for being 'pre-Waterfront', as the copy has it, by this time the work on the land reclamation was fairly well progressed - I think the surrounding sea-wall protecting the area where infill was tipped would have been complete as would have been the surrounding sea-wall of the marina (I can remember seeing the developments there each day from the bus on the way to school). The photographs only appear 'pre-Waterfront' because of the absence of any buildings on the reclamation site - the development already there in 1984 when these pictures were taken could have contributed to warping the tidal flow at that time.

(And as for dispelling the unnatural tidal flow concerns, and putting aside the issue of what caused or contributed to the damage of the sea-wall - during the summer there are sand-dune plants growing on the beach at Millbrook... They never used to be there and, if the tide was behaving as it should, they would be underwater twice a day).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:59:56 PM by Al »

Offline danrok

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
The reclamation has definitely altered the way the tide flows.

I think it is a well established fact that constructing a new sea wall in one place, is going to potentially cause flooding in another.

Offline Malachi

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 06:13:52 PM »
I think the alteration of the tidal flow is obvious too; look at the permanent beach that exists on the Western side of the surface water outfall at the Gunsite cafe?

What the reclamation site has essentially replaces a curved part of the beach with something that resembles the corner of a box; it's hardly surprising that the tide/wave now slam into that part of the sea wall with more force.

Offline plus_ca_change

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 04:50:21 PM »
One of the more insidious consequences of stronger tides and bigger storms is that the foundations get  undermined.  One day it wont just be capstones, but a whole segment of wall that comes down. It is also a more costly operation I believe to address this problem than replacing the cap stones.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:27:40 AM by plus_ca_change »