Author Topic: Bombing of Israel/Sandy's devastation in Caribbean  (Read 11872 times)

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Bombing of Israel
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »
An article by Rachel Shabi in The Guardian today blames the Israeli left for the fact that many centre-left Israelis won't even bother to vote in tomorrow's elections. Here are three extracts:

Israel is expected to elect the most rightwing government in its history on Tuesday – a coalition that will make the current prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, look like a man of peace.

But the Israeli left can't make peace with the Palestinians, either – not even with the Palestinians who make up 20% of Israel's population, but are second-class citizens because of systemic discrimination. No Israeli government has included Arab political parties. Even in 1999, after gaining 94% of the Palestinian vote in Israel, Labour snubbed this sector and built a coalition without even a token Arab party.

Therein lies another problem with the Israeli left: it doesn't really do equality.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/21/left-israel-own-worst-enemy

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 06:32:53 AM »
Yes, folks, it's the thread that refuses to die back once again. I just know how uncomfortable this subject is for the PJ elite, who refuse to post on here (lest it ruin their 2014 election chances), which is the best incentive I could ever have to keep adding new posts every now and then. You know you're doing something quite important when the majority boycott the thread.

Anyhow, World Jewry is up in arms. No, silly- they're not bidding to buy the latest housing plots for settlers on Palestinian land- rather it is because of Gerald Scarfe's typically virulent caricature of the Israeli Prime Minister in this weekend's Times:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/28/sunday-times-antisemitism-israeli-election-cartoon

You can judge for yourself here:

http://www.barenakedislam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TIMES-CARTOON-e13593581196941.jpg

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
Little more than a week after the elections and we're back in the same old routine, with Israel breaking international law once again by sending its warplanes to bomb either a convoy of arms or a weapons research base inside Syria (depending on which account you believe) and now by continually violating Lebanese airspace, in defiance of UN Security Council resolution 1701:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/01/israeli-warplanes-violate-lebanese-airspace

Israel is now gearing itself up for yet another short war, assuming that the countries whose airspace it has been violating decide to retaliate. If that happens, this will lead to yet another massive Israeli military operation targetted against civilians in those countries. The standard international diplomatic response to this will be that Israel was the entirely innocent party and has a right to defend itself against aggression by its neighbours. We've heard this claptrap too many times before for it to be credible.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Alan Maclean off to see The Killers
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 06:44:56 AM »
In case you're wondering, it's not the rock band I'm referring to- it's the government of a certain country::)

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/displayarticle.asp?id=504101

He's meeting the Deputy Mayor of Jerusalem while he's there so maybe he could enquire how the plans are progressing to rid the city of its Palestinians...

We're paying for all this, by the way.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:48:42 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Dundee

Re: Bombing of Israel/Sandy's devastation in Caribbean
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
Desperate times call for desperate measures, our Ministers will pull into any port in a storm, ethics and principals are not their strong point.

Offline shortport

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
I remember the last time Ozouf and Cohen went to the middle east to try and drum up a bit of business.Our representatives- a homosexual and a jew sent to Arab lands.You couldn't make it up.

Offline Sam Mezec

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:01 AM »
It is to our shame that Senator Maclean is going to meet with the Deputy Mayor of a city, half of which is illegally occupied. The locals subjected to colonisation, eviction and subjugation.

To meet with the leaders of an authority that is illegally constituted is essentially to legitimise them and aid them in what they are doing. If no-one recognised the Jerusalem leaders than they could not continue to function.

I don't have a problem with Jersey businesses engaging with Israeli businesses (so long as they specifically avoid any that are involved with the occupation), but to directly involve ourselves with institutions like the authorities of Jerusalem is to accept their legitimacy which Jersey should not do.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Nixon
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »
This is nothing to do with the subject of Israel but I wanted to highlight a programme that will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 tonight that some may find very interesting, as it shines a light on past American foreign policy-

'Archive on 4': 'Wheeler: The Final Word', by David Taylor (8pm to 9pm, 16th March 2013). Further details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21768668

The LBJ Library has released the final batch of tapes containing the private telephone conversations of President Johnson, including 1968, when Republican Richard Nixon narrowly beat the Democrat Hubert Humphrey to win the Presidency. The tapes have confirmed what the late BBC journalist Charles Wheeler uncovered in 1994: that in the run-up to the 1968 election, Richard Nixon was actively involved in trying to sabotage President Johnson's peace talks with North Vietnam. The peace talks consequently came to nothing, Nixon grabbed the White House and then stepped up the ferocity of the war.

Had it not been for Nixon's treachery, could Johnson have successfully brought the war to a conclusion in 1968 and therefore saved the lives of hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of innocent Vietnamese, Cambodian and Laotian civilians who were killed by American military aggression in the years after 1968?

Hopefully you will be able to listen to this documentary online here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r93sr

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:56:25 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Dundee

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 04:21:29 AM »
There was a similar programme on a few months ago I think with Frost interviews http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nixon_Interviews which made fascinating listening. Given all his faults Nixon was thought by some to have some good working policies.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

'Hacktivists' attack Israel
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 07:21:17 AM »
It's good to learn that the hackers of the world are finally doing something worthwhile:  :)

http://rt.com/news/anonymous-hacktivists-operation-israel-474/

Offline Jerry Gosselin

NSA shares raw intelligence data with Israel
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »
An extract from the latest article by Glenn Greenwald and others in The Guardian here:

Details of the intelligence-sharing agreement are laid out in a memorandum of understanding between the NSA and its Israeli counterpart that shows the US government handed over intercepted communications likely to contain phone calls and emails of American citizens. The agreement places no legally binding limits on the use of the data by the Israelis.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/11/nsa-americans-personal-data-israel-documents

We have an awful lot to thank whistleblower Edward Snowden for.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Question in the States about Gorst's visit to Israel
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »
Top-level Jersey Ministers have been visiting Israel every year for at least the past three years. In any proper democracy, members of the legislature would have been asking probing questions about these visits right from the start. Obviously the States of Jersey, with its discredited pygmy parliament, doesn't concern itself with such controversial issues...

... until this week.  :o

The fact that the code of silence has been broken is shocking enough, but when I found out that it was Deputy Gerard Baudains  :o  :o who had asked der verboten question, I needed smelling salts to bring me around. Has he recently swallowed a book on Chomsky?

Many won't believe it so I have copied and pasted below (from Hansard) the full exchange of the question and answer session in the States Assembly on Tuesday 21st January 2014. Note the pro-Israel comment from Senator Sarah Ferguson right at the close:

4.6 Deputy G.C.L. Baudains of the Chief Minister regarding discussions with Israeli politicians:

Could the Minister advise whether the issue of Israel’s stance in relation to a number of United Nations resolutions made against it has been raised when he or other Ministers have met with Israeli politicians and, if not, why not?

Senator I.J. Gorst (The Chief Minister):

I understand concerns regarding Israel’s stance in relation to a number of United Nations resolutions and can confirm that Jersey’s external relations policies align with overall British foreign policy in respect of Israel.  This approach seeks constructive engagement in order to promote security, prosperity and peace in the region through partnership with Israel.  My visit focusing on developing economic ties with Israel was supportive of the overall British foreign policy approach towards Israel.

4.6.1 Deputy G.C.L. Baudains:

The Chief Minister occasionally brings propositions to this Assembly to impose sanctions on countries who have upset the international community and, as we know that Israel has flouted I think it is over 70 U.N. (United Nations) resolutions; in fact, there have been more resolutions brought against Israel than all other countries combined.  Does the Chief Minister not think that doing business with such a country could be seen as supporting their position?

Senator I.J. Gorst:

As I said, our external relations policy is aligned with British foreign policy.  The Deputy is right, something like 77 U.N. resolutions have been issued since 1953, mainly with regard to deportations and confiscation of Palestinian land.  The Deputy also raised the question of sanctions, and we do give effect to sanctions.  I have got to say that, because of our economic makeup, they are mostly in relation to the financial services sector and individuals’ relations with that sector.

4.6.2 Deputy M. Tadier:

Given that Israel’s occupation of East Jerusalem is considered illegal under international law and is universally condemned by the United Nations, why did one of the Chief Minister’s Ministers see fit to meet with the Deputy Mayor of Jerusalem last year, given that the Deputy Mayor of Jerusalem is an illegitimate role and one which helps facilitate the illegal occupation of East Jerusalem, which is an obstacle to peace?

Senator I.J. Gorst:

That is the Deputy’s opinion.  As I said in my opening answer, my visit was around focusing and developing economic ties with Israel as a whole and it is through developing those economic ties that we can be in support of the U.K.’s approach to Israel.  I also met the President, and he is well-known for supporting a 2-state approach and for negotiating peace, but that negotiation is for those parties themselves to enter into.

4.6.3 Deputy M. Tadier:

We are pleased to have J.C.G. (Jersey College for Girls) in the gallery today because this is a prime example of how Ministers and the Chief Minister do not answer the question; sometimes quite adeptly, but as a Back-Bencher you realise very quickly when an answer has not been given.  The Chief Minister stated that is my opinion; what exactly is he saying is my opinion?  Incidentally, this is also a way that we have to use up our second supplementary questions ...

The Deputy Bailiff:

This is not a time for speeches, Deputy.  The question is for the Chief Minister, please.

Deputy M. Tadier:

I thought it was an interesting didactic lesson for our pupils, Sir.

The Deputy Bailiff:

It is still a Parliamentary Assembly; it is a lesson for Members too.

Deputy M. Tadier:

Is the Minister saying that it is my opinion or the opinion of the United Nations that the occupation under international law is illegal?  Because he is saying that this is my opinion, but it is not my opinion, it is simply a fact that the United Nations considers Palestine to be illegally occupied.  If so, why are we dealing with positions which have no legitimate function, if we are to be seen as a legitimate state ourselves?

Senator I.J. Gorst:

As far as I am aware, the Deputy Mayor of Jerusalem is legitimately and democratically elected.

4.6.4 Senator S.C. Ferguson:

Given that Israel is arguably the main democratic country in the Middle East, is it not perhaps appropriate that we should, as a democracy, set up commercial links with them?

Senator I.J. Gorst:

As I said, I was in Israel and had a particular focus on developing economic ties with Israel in the digital sector.  There are 2, I suppose, countries or areas that are at the forefront of this entrepreneurial digital development, that is, California - and well-known to be so - and also Israel.  If we are serious about developing a digital sector, and that being part of Jersey’s diversified economic future, then we must engage.

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/Pages/Hansard.aspx?docid=a8687a34950af74b1b232187dd7a7339_StatesAssembly
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:32:02 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline shortport

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »
Hopefully this will come back to bite them .I think about 13% of bank deposits in Jersey come from the middle east.Maybe they will think twice about investing here if they found out we are desperately trying to forge economic links with Israel with little regard for the plight of the Palestinian people.are we getting ourselves involved with something we really shouldn't

Offline Sam Mezec

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
Jerry, completely agree with you that it is shameful that States Members have taken so long to ask questions about this.

Of course, contrary to what you said on another discussion page, I have been commentating on this since the beginning. I had the follow exchange with the Chief Minister -

My letter - http://sammezec.blogspot.com/2013/12/open-letter-to-chief-minister-on-his.html

His reply, plus my commentary - http://sammezec.blogspot.com/2013/12/reply-to-my-letter-to-chief-minister-on.html

Also, the question that Deputy Tadier asked was one which I had written and emailed to both him and Deputy Baudains.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 05:46:47 AM »
In the week when the world's most powerful politicians will no doubt be appearing on our screens pretending to be sombre and sorrowful about the 100th anniversary of the start of 'the war to end all wars', here is the evidence that they have still learned absolutely nothing at all:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2014/08/pictures-gaza-devastation-20148292923446538.html

More than 1,650 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 9,000 wounded so far in Israel's 'Operation Protective Edge' (AKA 'Operation kill innocent Palestinian children because we always get away with it', Part 3,976). The UN estimates that more than 440,000 Gazans have been displaced from their homes. The total population of Gaza is estimated to be 1.816 million, so that's almost a quarter of the population displaced.

Meanwhile, with Jersey's elections looming, here's a nice photo of Senator Alan Maclean taken at the exclusive British Israeli Business Awards dinner in February 2011, just a couple of years after Israel successfully completed an earlier slaughter of Gaza civilians which it called 'Operation Cast Lead' (up to 1,417 Palestinians killed in what the Goldstone Report later referred to as possible war crimes and crimes against humanity by Israel):

http://www.thejc.com/files/imagecache/simchach_galleria/images/062BICC-Dinner-12685.jpg

The even uglier guy to the right of Senator Alan is none other than pro-Israeli multi-millionaire, Marc Worth, whose family fortune has been estimated at £95 million and whose wife, Hilda, is a prominent Tory Party donor. Read about some of his more successful money-making ventures here (if you can possibly bear it):

http://www.thejc.com/business/business-features/45639/the-%C2%A34m-venture-thats-worth-it

"Because I spend a lot of time in Israel - around eight weeks a year - I am passionate about all things Israeli." - Marc Worth.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:16:46 AM by Jerry Gosselin »