Author Topic: airline subsidies  (Read 3638 times)

Offline moot

airline subsidies
« on: March 25, 2008, 03:35:41 AM »
I am concerned about tax payer's money spent on subsidies to airlines operating from Jersey as this seems to be getting out of hand.The first went to BMI baby for the Heathrow route and Minister Mc Clean would not divulge the amount as it is " commercially sensitive" I believe this could be as much as £10.000 per day. Then came Easyjet and again the subsidy is secret. Now Flybe is given more of our money to fly to Paris the route which previously been non profitable as tourism is in steep decline and the new TGV runs all the way from St Malo.
I understand some subsidies should be given and even Mc Clean's argument could be justified but now it seems that any tom dick and harry airline will get it
I believe Mc Clean should come clean and he should tell the public what the total amount of all airline subsidies is per year. This will avoid it being commercially sensitive

Offline Pomme de terre

Re: airline subsidies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:33:35 AM »
I just think they should scrap all landing charges at the airport, with the quid pro quo being that a certain proportion of the seats are available for a certain price, on a rolling 3 year agreement. The airport should be a "loss leader" for the rest of our economy.

In the real world, that is probably against some insane European competition law to which we have not even signed up.

As for the St Malo TGV, its timetable does not link up well with the ferries. Not very bright eh?

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:38:19 AM »
I think you will find that the biggest financial burden for the airport is the wage bill.

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
Nice that they spend our money in secret! Ozouf wasted a sack of cash on the Battle of Flowers, now he's spending an unknown amount on this.

How often does the typical Jersey person fly to Paris then?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:17:06 AM by JTM »

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 04:18:35 AM »
How often does the typical Jersey person fly to Paris then?

Well, I'd use it. A weekend in Paris would get me right in my missus' good books.

Offline danrok

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 04:29:28 AM »
Well, I'd use it. A weekend in Paris would get me right in my missus' good books.

Once, twice?

Perhaps, you would get your contribution back, just by using the service once. But, we will never know, so long as these things are done in a secretive way.

I'm sure there are plenty of things you can do to keep your missus sweet, without us having to subsidise this route.

The subsidy surely benefits the rich, and frequent business fliers the most, and they can afford to pay the extra few quid.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:31:17 AM »
I'm sure there are plenty of things you can do to keep your missus sweet, without us having to subsidise this route.

Point taken.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 04:41:51 AM »
I suspect the route may have been secured in response to the "90 days non-dom" threat that the UK government just backed down on.

While that threat was still in place, international travel via the UK for many finance industry people (workers and clients) looked decidely problematic. Like it or not, it is a necessity.

Had the UK government gone ahead with the threat to include travelling days, even for passengers merely passing through, Jersey would have looked stupid without an back up plan for international air travel. This looks like Ozouf's back up plan, unfortunately not needed for now. He's actually done his job, really.

Offline Limpet

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:51:18 AM »
that's fine - but haven't we a right to know how much this is costing?