Author Topic: Airport tower costs under investigation  (Read 2559 times)

Online boatyboy

Airport tower costs under investigation
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:47 PM »

Senator Paul Routier appeared on CTV a couple of months ago gleefully telling us that Jersey residents were very proud of the £9 million pound shiny airport tower.

It actual cost £12 million idiot, and had you been asking questions as a good assistant chief minister about the costs, then maybe the island would not have problems.

JEP

INVESTIGATING accountants have been called in to review allegations of mishandled Airport contracts.
Concerns have been raised publicly in recent weeks over the new £12m air traffic control tower, including allegations that an £800,000 redesign of the Channel Islands air space zone could have been done free of charge, that a £65,000 per year air traffic controller failed exams and was doing basic administrative work, and that a £6,000 signalling lamp could have been bought for £900.

The investigation has been set up by the States spending watchdog, Comptroller and Auditor General Chris Swinson, who has been contacted by whistleblowers.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/07/21/airport-deals-under-investigation/

BB

Offline newmac

Re: Airport tower costs under investigation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
I heard Mike Higgins say something in the States the other day about it and he was criticised for mentioning it in the States when members of the public could hear!

Online boatyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »

Is it not so B***dy easy to spend someone else's money and make a mess of it as another Civil Servant has over the systems at the airport, no doubt had it been her money then more prudence would have been displayed.

It seems to me that the the Jersey civil service has learned from the Banks how to get paid excessive amounts for failure and leaving your job early.

JEP

A FORMER Airport executive who left her job early amid a storm of criticism was paid off, it has been claimed.

In the latest allegation of a high ranking civil servant leaving a post with a substantial golden handshake funded by the taxpayer, States Members were told yesterday that the former director of operations at the Airport, Sandy Sawyer, had received £90,000 when she quit six months before her contract was up.

The accusation was made by Deputy Mike Higgins during States question time.
He also wanted to know why, almost 18 months after it was first revealed, an air traffic controller who had failed his exams was still being paid around £65,000 a year to do basic administration work.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2011/12/07/airport-director-given-90000-to-quit-job/

bb

Offline man in the street

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
 the goverment get away with the blunders and cock ups , when you look at the  public in the streets else where  in the world , for the last 6months ( the greeks for example).
 the angry rabble  in the royal square has not  arrived , those of us who work are at work trying to make ends meet, without blunders and cock ups as to keep our jobs, because we can be sacked .
 the robbing and looting of the public  purse , if discovered, must stop forever. >:(
 would love to know  , who  tut , tutted mike  higgins  for  blurting things out in front of the public..

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »
£90,000 to keep her mouth shut about the cock ups that have been made within the airport.
It should become a legal issue about paying out public money on the quiet, if anyb body payed a shop floor person thousands of pounds to cover up mistakes etc then the whole workforce would be rich but it should be passed to the lawyers of the States to get to the bottom of this paying money from public purse to someone who leaves their job early. If it was in the contract then sack the person who made the contract. hope there are no more of these contracts or quiet payments.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »
.........and so it goes on and on. How many more 'pay-offs' will there be before the public realise that it is OUR hard earned and much needed cash that is being squandered.

Let's ask for our percentage of monies squandered on all this nonsense back before we pay the taxman any monies he asks from us!

Simple - I feel a letter to Mr Ozouf coming on!

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:25:10 AM »
.........and so it goes on and on. How many more 'pay-offs' will there be before the public realise that it is OUR hard earned and much needed cash that is being squandered.

Let's ask for our percentage of monies squandered on all this nonsense back before we pay the taxman any monies he asks from us!

Simple - I feel a letter to Mr Ozouf coming on!

Sadly you can't refuse to pay tax it is deducted at source more is the pity.  Disgraceful is all I can say about the latest 'pay-off' story.

Cali :(
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:02:32 PM »
I know Cali, but how many people have the correct ITIS deducted?

A lot of people end up with a bill of one sort or another the following tax year. Rather than introduce PAYE we have this ridiculous system which I don't think half the staff at the Income Tax Department understand!

Anyway this woman has been paid an enormous sum of money, whilst today I learn that Roseneath is closing because the properties have been bought by H&SS and will be run by the Shelter Trust. This must indicate an awful lot of homeless people living rough at the moment, but such a shame for those who have progressed with their lives and are now being disrupted - all I understand because an extra £30,000 p.a. was needed to keep it up and running.

And how much did this woman receive?! Will this Island ever get its priorities right?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:13:33 AM by GeeGee »