Author Topic: Tourism to target older people for 2010  (Read 10743 times)

ole razzy

Re: Tourism to target older people for 2010
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »
Gleaned from the classified sections of the News of the World I might add on those Sunday visits to my elderly father who is known within the family as Mussolini.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »
I remember the one in Old St John's Road, it was one of the very famous places you could get a very late night drink wink.
I can't remember anything else about it except all bodies were made welcome!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Fritz

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »
Any attractive holiday/weekend break destination does not need a government,(tax-payer), funded ,"Tourism Department".

If a visitor buys a ,"Jersey cream tea", at a privately owned cafe, they do not put enough into the local economy to justify the massive costs of running a ,"Tourism Department".

Offline man in the street

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 02:06:52 AM »
ah, the development of the good old watersplash, i remember it when the fountins and lights worked,the crazy nights down the road, at the chateau, packed with coaches , the corbiere, the haiwian, swansons hotel, shows every night of the week. the swansons used to have a artistists impression of how they wanted to develop it,(the splash) it looked  totaly modern, for the times , but was not allowed, yet 20 years on the lamoye golf club was allowed to dominate the sky line , on the east side of the  5mile road.
when you think how much has been lost its shocking , but look how long it was to allow dancing on a sunday.
 correct there is no cheap accomodation , and i would say possibly there could be  a big drive from greece, to attract holiday makers to get in those much needed euros.
 we have priced ourselves off the face of the earth, in more ways than one

Offline moot

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 02:07:09 AM »
1980 : 29000 hotel beds + approx 500 private houses beds
most of them full for June, July, August

2009 : 11500 beds
Even during Battle flowers week there are some vancancies

Enough said            

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 02:33:22 AM »
Hey Sparty remember when Robert Weston opened up a swingers hotel? The Sarum, on old St. Johns road? Think its closed now but fair play for trying. He was the Larry Flint of St. Helier!

No way! I worked with a contractor who used to stay there, quiet as a mouse he was, didn't mention a word. Probably keeping it all to himself...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:37:05 AM by Pomme de terre »

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 02:35:05 AM »
I liked that one but didn't some of the local surfers complain because they didnt want to share thier waves with visitors? Sheesh! Sometimes selfishness and insularity is not just the preserve of States members!

All surfers do that dude. It's called being a surfer. Sheesh - didn't you ever see The Swayze in Point Break? And there was me thinking you were a man of culture  ;)

Offline Ashley

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 02:56:47 AM »
It's true about the surfing.  You couldn't get many more people surfing the good spots in summer.  It's already crowded. 

ole razzy

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 04:17:22 AM »
All surfers do that dude. It's called being a surfer. Sheesh - didn't you ever see The Swayze in Point Break? And there was me thinking you were a man of culture  ;)

Sorry to say that I missed that one mate, must have been watching Take Hart! Remember Mr Bennet?  Noseybonk? Morph? The lovely young female art student? I knew then what I wanted to do after A levels.

But I must admit toadmiring admiring your 80's aviatar film knowledge recently on another forum -  "Mustang, this is Maverick, requesting fly by... "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full" and perhaps the best one.... "Nice flying, right up until the point you got killed. Never, ever leave your wingman!!!".

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »
another sad blow , is the amount of cruise ships that guernsey will have this year, while we have none or , one or two.

rogueelement

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
Given that we have no arrangements with the UK for health matters , do you think that targeting old people is a good idea?
Unless of course we are going to offer facilities to embrace euthanasia and pass the appropriate legislation, I think this is not one of the best thought through plans.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:26:33 AM »
another sad blow , is the amount of cruise ships that guernsey will have this year, while we have none or , one or two.

I remember flagging the need for catering for cruise ships with Imogen Nichols when she was pushing for the waterfront hotel (Radison) she said that we could end up like Bermuda, I never know what she meant by that.

One of the most bizarre options of a selection of four from a scoping document in the 80's? shows a pier going out past Elizabeth Breakwater with a series of piers Like a large stem of a flower with its petals, although odd it would have served this purpose. Then if we look at the building of the Elizabeth Breakwater it is one of the biggest financial fiascoes that the States got themselves into, I think it took 3 or 4 firms to complete and much debate. 

ole razzy

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 02:55:48 AM »
Given that we have no arrangements with the UK for health matters , do you think that targeting old people is a good idea?
Unless of course we are going to offer facilities to embrace euthanasia and pass the appropriate legislation, I think this is not one of the best thought through plans.

Nail head hit. Well done Jersey Tourism. Brilliant. Go back to sleep everybody that works in the industry. Sell your premises to Dignitas. Or Pitcher and Le Quesne.

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 03:22:23 AM »
have the public finnished paying for , elizabeth terminal area yet?
i remember amec and shepard hill, when the job started, a chap iknow was at a meeting, people were talking of the way foreword, they were shocked when told the tide came in and out twice a day, allegedly.
the current reclamation site is only part of the scheme, i did have sight of the rest of the project, extendind to the south , and east. ( i doubt  the island can afford to carry on, these days).
 to create deep water moorings.
 the problem for st helier and cruise ships is the sometimes sloppy trip from the  ship to our harbour, so iam led to  belive.
 i often wonder why   st catherines is not used? or do we not have enough coaches to go round these days.
 i am sure guernsey , laugh at us over here, and the mess it has become.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 04:26:11 AM »
Before even considering setting up facilities for cruise ships to berth, we should check and see if they would have any reason to.

Perhaps they could advertise our ,"State of the art", tourism offices as a visitor attraction. ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:28:18 AM by Fritz »