Author Topic: Call to waive airport landing fee  (Read 7655 times)

Offline danrok

Call to waive airport landing fee
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:24:35 PM »
A Jersey hotelier is pressing the States to waive landing charges for four hours each weekday.

Robert Weston said that as a result, the cost of flying to Jersey would be cut and the island would become more attractive to visitors.

The rest:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/8218079.stm

Sounds like it would be worth a punt!

Offline cpcarrot

Re: Call to waive airport landing fee
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
I agree sounds like an excellent idea. When it comes to trips abroad, with the advent of low cost airlines you spend very little on the actual tickets (provided you get the good deals) and the bulk of the cost is in the landing fees. When your paying roughly the same for your ticket + landing fees and can get to France or Spain rather than Jersey your going to pick Spain or France every time. Removing of the landing fees in Jersey would effectively half the price of those budget tickets and all of a sudden you’re not facing a similar price comparison but a location that is genuinely cheaper. For those quick breaks the fact that we don’t have the Euro and we speak English will hopefully make us an attractive option to people.

Definitely worth a punt in my mind, especially as carriers are likely to put extra flights on to take advantage of such a scheme.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »
One of the best ideas I've heard in a long long time. Simple but potentially very effective.

99% of the time I would agree that 'user pays' is always the best way to tax things.  In this instance though, someone should have realised that it makes more sense to get people on the island before you start ripping them off.  Get them over on dirt cheap flights then you'll it all back on GST and general prosperity.

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:10:55 PM »
I'd guess this would only apply to Jersey Airport, so you would still have to pay landing fees at the destination airport.  Although, Jersey seems to be the most expensive.

rogueelement

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
Forget it ! the Airport is an autonomous(sort of) body run to make a profit and spend £30 million a year of you, the taxpayers money on their behalf.
If they allowed tax free landings , they might actually have to do some work, get the baggage handlers to shift their arses a damn sight quicker than they currently do( Yes i know about service companies) and of course have to explain why they have been so crap for the past 15 years. nice dream Danrok.Sell the Franchise to someone who knows how to run Airports, get rid of the Staff and you might get somewhere , otherwise it will remain a jobs for the boys paradise as it has been for at least the 40 years I have known it to be.

The Backbencher

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:37:51 PM »
Airport running costs are amongst the highest in Europe so if they slash them money will have to come from the States to prop the airport up again or workers will have to be laid off so the tax payer with be subsidising the airport if they do this which I doubt.

rogueelement

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:57:38 AM »
Or you could sell the Airport to someone who knows how to run one at a profit with no cost to the taxpayer,,,silly me , what am I thinking?

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:39:38 AM »
Agreed.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »
Ya're alll wrong!

Thing about the boost to the economy if the airport landing fee was switched to an airport take-off fee?
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Ashley

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 04:56:46 AM »
Or you could sell the Airport to someone who knows how to run one at a profit with no cost to the taxpayer,,,silly me , what am I thinking?

That's mad.  If I owned the airport the 1st thing I'd do is hike up the landing charges.  People have to fly - I'd charge them more.

The airport is owned by us and should be ran sympathetically so.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »
I think we should have another couple of airports.
 Costs to the public are only reduced by having competition for goods and services.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »
what a money pit jersey airport is.
  some years ago i was in exeter airport , no frills but clean and tidy, get off plane , collect bag and go.
 on the return ,check in , get a coffee or whatever, get on plane and go.
 the money that has being squandered up at the airport is scandalous, and to rub the unemployed of jersey nose in it, done by outside contractors, so i am told.
 cap its spending till it can show a profit.
 if we want tourists back here then  we will need to get airlines to come here , apparently the budget airlines came here and could not get a deal from the relevent goverment / civil service bodies.
 as with everything else in jersey we have priced ourselves off the face of the earth for pure greed.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
Jersey is NOT a holiday destination by any stretch of the imagination.

It used to be when Brits thought crossing a bit of water and getting cheap fags and beer was ,"Going abroad".

Those , "bucket and spade brigade", visitors,(Who were happy to spend their hard -earned dosh), were shunned by Jersey,s Tourism Dept in favour of, now non -existent, higher class clientelle.

With the price of Alcohol and Cigarettes now much higher in Jersey than anywhere in the UK or Europe, and no guarantee of better weather, third class overpriced hotels etc. What is the point of wasting tax-payers money on promoting Tourism?

Offline man in the street

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 12:25:27 AM »
i can still hear it ringing in my ears "we must attract a better class of tourist" you must up grade your accommodation and they will come.
 what a load of cobblers that was.

vlad1m1r

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:17:10 PM »
i can still hear it ringing in my ears "we must attract a better class of tourist" you must up grade your accommodation and they will come.
 what a load of cobblers that was.

When I worked at one of the hotels in the island the guests were inevitably from the same demographic - middle aged to elderly couples who fancied the idea of going abroad but didn't like the concept of 'foreign food'. They were often disappointed as our chef was a French Canadian whose idea of traditional English grub was trout with onion marmalade (don't knock it until you've tried it).

Obviously if we had more leisure facilities rather than shutting them down we'd attract a wider cross section of society, most importantly younger folks with money to burn :-D

V.