Author Topic: Bring back Bergerac!!!  (Read 9914 times)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
Re: Bring back Bergerac!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »
I think we'd leave the creativity and professionalism to the BBC.  Just get tourism to partially fund it.

Good Idea!!  BBC        = Nose in trough "Let's make this one at least pay"
                 Tourism   = Can't we pay you more to get a proper job done?
                 Taxpayer = Completely stuffed

Got any more?
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Ashley

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 12:05:17 PM »
Slightly cynical to jump to such conclusions.   The BBC are only interested in putting out the best programming and have no interest in actual profits.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
Of course, of course, please forgive me, the BBC you say are a completely non-profit making organisation with tight controls on expenditure.

?

Offline Ashley

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 01:32:37 PM »
I know they are.  My girlfriend works for them and they're extremely tight.  Everything is accounted for - even down to returning used note pads to get new ones and having to buy your own milk as it shouldn't be bought with licence payers money.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »
Regardless - I'm not entirely sure I agree with the tone of your posts.  Perhaps you should either explain yourself or take your patronising posts and see if anyone else wishes to read them.

Offline more

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »
  Fully agree with Gordon Brown, Keep Tourism out of it. Amount of money they have wasted over the years.Office block built for their staff at a time when toursim is still going to the dogs. Unheard of in other businesses   .From the start  contracted a fully trained person from a travel agency With all the right credentials .Experience in seeking out good write ups,along with videos to promote the Island. To be shown at its best   .Commonunity spirit from Islanders for a start which is second to none.The many that run e.c.t for  all the worthwhile charities on such a  small island, Take part in so many other attractions if looked for.
 The wonder and the unselfishness of so many voluntees here  taking part. Visitors like to know how people live when on the  holidays they visit,which includes culture.Good resturants, good value for money. mainly found in pubs in well cooked meals. As long as one keeps out of town. The island's natural beauty has to be seen to be believed? Of whichever way one turns beautifull views at every turn that lead from one bay to another are seen  more in this small island, then anywhere else in the world or on any  solitary Island elsewhere.As personally I've seen on travelling to most islands round the World. Opinions please.

Offline danrok

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
Of course, of course, please forgive me, the BBC you say are a completely non-profit making organisation with tight controls on expenditure.

?

They make a profit alright!

But, because there's no shareholders, they pay out millions to people like Jonathan Ross instead.

Offline Uriel

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »
Hey Spartacus, I too have travelled extensively and it is fair to say that there are few places in the world in which you'll find such a wide variety of scenic views in such a small area as you can find in Jersey.  However, let's not kid ourselves, there are plenty of other places in the world that offer beautiful views combined with better cultural or sporting offerings than we have here in Jersey, plus high quality resort hotels, etc.  Frankly, to compete effectively in today's cut-throat tourism market, you need to have a more complete offering than Jersey currently provides.  Any efforts to promote the Island through films and TV series should be welcomed by the tourist industry, but surely it needs to be combined with efforts to improve what we offer our tourists.

Spartacus, you're a keen golfer, aren't you.  This Island would be more attractive to many tourists if it was easier for them to play golf on some high quality 18 hole championship style courses.  The Island needs more than just the Royal Jersey and La Moye (Les Ormes and Les Mielles are OK, but hardly championship material), both of which are already overplayed.  There's been talk for as long as I can remember about the need for at least another course, maybe two, but nothing's happened.
This week Jersey Enterprise is sponsoring the European Senior's event at La Moye, that ought to attract tourists who are keen on golf, but they'd find it hard to get a tee-off time at most courses in the Island.

Similar comments apply to the need to improve arts and cultural offerings in the Island.

Offline more

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »

You misunderstood me Spartacus, Of course there are other  beautifull places
 in the World remaining Natural  to visit . Especially in larger countries as you've stated. Let me explain.I did not include Grand Canyon or anything bigger than small islands in my above contribution. For a few years in the visits we made a point of specifically going to other small islands,  pretty much the size ofJersey.
   Yes. other islands too have wonderfull Natural views which was a point you made Unable to be replaced should they be built on. This on an 9 by 5  island, have noticed. by going round this island  on a whole circle from one bay to the next. Counting each view is amazing the number of natural views Sunsets, Sunrises included.
     God, in his wisdom surely gathered the remaining pieces of his creative Natural Beauty.To place here on our island Gem Of The Sea.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »
Regardless - I'm not entirely sure I agree with the tone of your posts.  Perhaps you should either explain yourself or take your patronising posts and see if anyone else wishes to read them.

Looks like someone has read them! So, why should I explain myself to you when the debate is raging? Your post is equally patronising!

ole razzy

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 06:59:01 PM »
Branchage, smanchage - I've never whitnessed such a self-indulgent load of clap-trap in my entire life.  For them to think that they alone will help inspire Jersey to be more creative, and to put Jersey on the showbiz map, is one of the most conceited things I've heard.

I have never met the organisers of this particular film festival and I don't think I have read or heard a statement from them claiming that they alone can inspire Jersey to be more creative or to put it on a showbiz map as you say.

But I have met many bright young local film makers in the last few months who have felt suitably inspired by the opportunity to screen their work at Branchage and so I think that, living as we do in a post industrial knowledge economy, that this is no bad thing.

I work as a TV producer and often travel to exoctic locations for festivals and press junkets. My experience of these types of events are that the presence of film stars in the local cafe's, restuarants and bars sprinkles some elan and ersatz sophistication over proceedings that are then picked up by the tornado of the worlds broadcast news media and papparazzi and blown around the planet. No bad thing either.

Branchage is but a baby, undeveloped and clearly at times unloved. But if it is allowed to grow and is supported with the right kind of intellectual as well as financial support (no states money preferably when the likes of Spearpoint clearly understand the value of it) then it can, in time, create an identity for Jersey which is positive in so far as it explores new ideas through filmmaking and looks at how we examine and understand the world in which we live.

And, at the risk of repeating myself, I am still of the opinion that in the absence of a political champion for culture, and of its long term benefits to society, that events like Branchage are better places to start the discussion on the viability of a film industry in Jersey then say the States Chamber.  At least at Branchage the majority will have a vague idea of what they are talking about.

Offline moot

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
   You misunderstood me Spartacus, Of course there are other  beautifull places
 in the World remaining Natural  to visit . Especially in larger countries as you've stated. Let me explain.I did not include Grand Canyon or anything bigger than small islands in my above contribution. For a few years in the visits we made a point of specifically going to other small islands,  pretty much the size ofJersey.
   Yes. other islands too have wonderfull Natural views which was a point you made Unable to be replaced should they be built on. This on an 9 by 5  island, have noticed. by going round this island  on a whole circle from one bay to the next. Counting each view is amazing the number of natural views Sunsets, Sunrises included.
     God, in his wisdom surely gathered the remaining pieces of his creative Natural Beauty.To place here on our island Gem Of The Sea.

I have visited many islands around the world and I was born on one
There is something special about an island and you find that the inhabitants of each of these islands are saying exactly the same as you. I visited all of the 7 canary islands and lived on one of them for 2 years. The "locals" frequently play and sing about the beauty of their particular island and that there is nowhere in the world like it
So do the Madeirans, Mallorquins, Greeks, Sicilians, Sardinians, Corsicans, Cubans end so on
It's very simple : There's no place like home !

Offline Fritz

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »
Bottom line is:
Jersey has nothing to offer the, "Two weeks holiday", tourist.
The whole Island can be taken in on a, "Weekender".(Nice weather not guaranteed, ).

Nice place to live, wouldn,t want to visit.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 09:59:03 PM »
I have never met the organisers of this particular film festival and I don't think I have read or heard a statement from them claiming that they alone can inspire Jersey to be more creative or to put it on a showbiz map as you say.

But I have met many bright young local film makers in the last few months who have felt suitably inspired by the opportunity to screen their work at Branchage and so I think that, living as we do in a post industrial knowledge economy, that this is no bad thing.

I work as a TV producer and often travel to exoctic locations for festivals and press junkets. My experience of these types of events are that the presence of film stars in the local cafe's, restuarants and bars sprinkles some elan and ersatz sophistication over proceedings that are then picked up by the tornado of the worlds broadcast news media and papparazzi and blown around the planet. No bad thing either.

Branchage is but a baby, undeveloped and clearly at times unloved. But if it is allowed to grow and is supported with the right kind of intellectual as well as financial support (no states money preferably when the likes of Spearpoint clearly understand the value of it) then it can, in time, create an identity for Jersey which is positive in so far as it explores new ideas through filmmaking and looks at how we examine and understand the world in which we live.

And, at the risk of repeating myself, I am still of the opinion that in the absence of a political champion for culture, and of its long term benefits to society, that events like Branchage are better places to start the discussion on the viability of a film industry in Jersey then say the States Chamber.  At least at Branchage the majority will have a vague idea of what they are talking about.

I understand where you're coming from but, like you say, you're in the industry so you can appreciate something like Branchage, from a professional perspective. 
Personally, I was turned off of the whole experience because I thought it was trying too hard come across something that it clearly wasn't. In as much as, they received a lot of press coverage as it was billed as something for anyone who loves movies.  When it came to it there was nothing that my friends or I were particularly interested in - which isn't to say that we're not cultured - it just wasn't for us - we felt it wasn't pitched in our direction.  I only know of one of my peers that went, my girlfriend.  She went because she was reporting on it for her day job.

I wish them all the best - I just can't help thinking that it was all a bit too cool.

With regard to the other subject bought up by Spartacus;  Jersey is a very beautiful place to visit.  I've been to many different places in the world and nothing really has Jersey beaten. Ayres rock?  That's like a smaller, less featured Jersey  ;D

Offline White Knight

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »
In the 60's i met a man from Canada who was a millionaire. I asked him why he wanted to live here when you could live anywhere on this earth, he just said " 5 mins seaside, 5 mins town, 5 mins countryside beautiful peaceful island english spoken what more could i want".
Do you know what? He was perfectly correct.