Author Topic: Bring back Bergerac!!!  (Read 9913 times)

Offline Ashley

Bring back Bergerac!!!
« on: June 04, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
It's about time isn't it?

This 9X5 island needs something like Jim Bergerac and his exceptionally fortunate policing methods to bring the good times back to this peadophile's paradise.

They managed to knock out almost 90 hours of that show in the 80's - everyone loved it (for a bit). The tourists thought the place was interesting and most people who lived here didn't feel like so much of a **** for admitting they came from Jersey.

Bring it back I say!

I'd much rather Tourism join forces with the BBC and spend our money promoting the island this way.

ole razzy

Re: Bring back Bergerac!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 04:19:15 PM »
I'd prefer Emma Martin's to star in the new version (in a Wonder Woman outfit!)

Offline Ashley

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
As I recall the series led to comments from all over the world as to what a dodgey place Jersey was, 3 murders a week , 5 drug deals and money laundering on a scale Del boy could only have wished for. I know we have always had adverse publicity from the likes of Austin Mitchell , but that series , put the tin plate on it . Everyone was either a millionaire,  A drug dealer  , or a very dodgey lawyer ,, hmmmm
They did not make a lot of stories about fictional characters then.

I'm thinking more drugs, more murder, more whores. 

Who are we trying to attract to Jersey anyway? The Blue Rinse Bregade with 100 to spend or some young people after some excitement with a grand to spend.

Jersey nice?  At the moment they all think we're kiddy touchers.  I'd rather be a murdering drug dealer thanks.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Baywatch Red Cossie Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:17:55 PM by Durendal »

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »

Like I said before, I've got a string vest she could borrow.....................
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

rogueelement

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:07:43 PM »
Lycra is never a bad thing unless you are on holiday in America.

ole razzy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:08:10 PM »
Lycra is never a bad thing unless you are on holiday in America.

I always take my mankini off before I land. There's now a helpful tick box reminder on the visa waiver card.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

How long are you intending to stay in the USA?.......6 days.

Name of hotel..........The Hudson, 356 West 58th Street, Manhattan.

Are you wearing or importing any Lycra?............1 x mankini in hand luggage (slightly soiled due to exessive free wine in business class).

ole razzy

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
It's about time isn't it?

No - you can't go back. It would be a shallow pastiche of an outdated concept. That ship has sailed and any re-make would need to be so utterly contemporary that viewers could suspend their disbelief. How likely is that given the events of the last few years? Only lovers of tragic and crushing irony would give up time to watch a programme about a cop with a high arrest rate set in an Island which now has a tarnished reputation for institutional child abuse with only a small number of people facing trial. They'd switch over in their millions.

"what's Bergerac up to in tonight's episode dad?"

"he's on the tail of a rogue antiques dealer who has fled the island and is now is facing extradition from france"

"errr ..ok, so is it alright if i pop out for an hour and play tennis then?"

"Sure, in fact I'll come with you son, this is totally unbelievable shite".

If you want to edge Jersey slowley back into the public conciousness using the media of film it would be far more sensible to look at the successes of the IOM screen commission and find ways to replicate it. Jersey as a film location, with studios, offering tax breaks to film production companies whilst plugging into the professional expertise of the Financial services sector for funding and efficient management structures - that to my mind makes a lot more sense. As always try and keep government as far away as possible from its operational management. Light touch regulation is essential. The states have an apalling track record with this. Lyndon Farnham ignored local advice, went out to UK consultants and commissioned expensive feaslibility studies which told him what everybody locally already knew - then he just dropped the ball.

Branchage might be a catalyst for change - a forum for discussion about these and other possibilities. Just so long as the Royal Yacht Hotel (Lyndon Farnham again!) dont try and close it down by complaining about the noise coming from the tent!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:55:04 PM by ole razzy »

ole razzy

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
Terence Alexander - aka Charlie Hungerford - RIP - and so too the TV series that extended our tourism insdustry longer then one might ever have imagined.

Wiki states;

One of the most notable characters is Charlie Hungerford, played by Terence Alexander, who also happens to be Jim Bergerac's former father-in-law. Charlie is a "lovable rogue", States Senator and would-be tycoon, who is often involved in shady dealings, but is paradoxically something of an innocent.

Gosh - not much has changed since 1981 then.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:55:48 PM by ole razzy »

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »
Terence Alexander - aka Charlie Hungerford - RIP - and so too the TV series that extended our tourism insdustry longer then one might ever have imagined.

Wiki states;

One of the most notable characters is Charlie Hungerford, played by Terence Alexander, who also happens to be Jim Bergerac's former father-in-law. Charlie is a "lovable rogue", States Senator and would-be tycoon, who is often involved in shady dealings, but is paradoxically something of an innocent.

Gosh - not much has changed since 1981 then.

Now reincarnated as Jimmy you mean??

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 01:03:25 AM »
R.I.P, Terence Alexander, a great man. Watching the series whilst growing up, he was always hugely entertaining as Charlie Hungerford. A very well written character, superbly acted.

Obituaries in the Telegraph, Times and Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/03/terence-alexander-obituary
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/tv-radio-obituaries/5428471/Terence-Alexander.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6417589.ece

I've got all 8 series that have so far been released on DVD, not only because I loved the series, but as documentary evidence of Jersey in the 80s. Every time Jim drives along the Esplanade and there is no CineWorld in the background, it brings a tear to my eye...

Offline Fritz

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 05:59:37 PM »
Some of the places he ends up at when exiting the tunnel led me to believe that it was some sort of tardis.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »
Branchage, smanchage - I've never whitnessed such a self-indulgent load of clap-trap in my entire life.  For them to think that they alone will help inspire Jersey to be more creative, and to put Jersey on the showbiz map, is one of the most conceited things I've heard.

Perhaps Bergerac should remain buried.  Something similar though, similarly appealing, a joint venture between BBC Jersey and tourism, would surely be worth it's weight in gold.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
More like lead!

I cannot believe that you seriously consider that a venture with the track record of Tourism, would be any success at all!

Offline Ashley

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 10:36:37 AM »
More like lead!

I cannot believe that you seriously consider that a venture with the track record of Tourism, would be any success at all!

I think we'd leave the creativity and professionalism to the BBC.  Just get tourism to partially fund it.