Author Topic: £1,200,000.00 Jersey Tourism Advert  (Read 20022 times)

Offline moot

Re: £1,200,000.00 Jersey Tourism Advert
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 11:41:04 PM »
I happened to be at a conference in Jersey, hosted by Tourism.  It was attended by each tourist board from the UK.
Each of them got up and did a presentation, outlining their budgets, and explaining what they were doing to promote tourism.  Typical annual budgets were less than £100K.  I think Brighton had the biggest budget at something like £150-200K.  All their costs would come out of these amounts.
At the end, Jersey Tourism did their presentation, and announced that their annual budget was £4 million.  There were people falling of chairs when they saw that figure!

Thanks Danrok - It made me laugh out loud !

ole razzy

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:54 PM »
At the end, Jersey Tourism did their presentation, and announced that their annual budget was £4 million.  There were people falling of chairs when they saw that figure!

Had David De Carteret already fallen off his chair?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »

The timing could not be worse for a country that gets 4 million English tourists and millions from europe, and is in recession. How much in lost income will this shambles cost American businesses ?

Quote in green.

Bottom line is : If you are going to the USA on holiday, you will need to of filled in the US ESTA application online prior to travel, or you will be refused entry. The 'Old Style' forms no longer apply.

18 June 2008 United States Plans New Travel Procedures for 27 Countries Beginning January 12, 2009, travellers to the United States from 22 countries in Europe and five in the Asia-Pacific region currently exempt from certain U.S. visa requirements will be using a new online travel authorization process, the new Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

Under the new Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), all nationals, including children, from the 27 countries under the U.S. visa waiver program will be required to fill out an electronic travel authorization form posted on the Web (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/) prior to boarding a U.S.-bound plane or vessel.

Will Jersey get itself a share of holiday makers at Euro lands and Americas expense. If we don’t then what really is the point of having an expensive tourism office and staff. May as well label them non-jobs.

Boatyboy

Offline danrok

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
It is a joke.  They make legitimate visitors jump through hoops, meanwhile the illegals simply walk across the border with at Mexico.

I spent a holiday a few years back, visiting New York and Florida, the only European tourist I encountered were British.  The USA seems not to be popular with Europeans, many think London is the greatest place on earth, for some reason which eludes me!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2009, 06:04:13 PM »
JERSEY will soon be advertised as ‘Europe without the euro’ in the UK to try to attract tourists to the Island.

From the JEP

A decision was taken at a top-level meeting of industry leaders last week to use the weakness of the pound directly as a marketing tool for 2009.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/01/24/come-to-jersey-its-euro-free/

Its taken a while, in fact to long, but no doubt some of the industries leaders and tourisms civil servants while  travelling have noticed the advantage of a concerted effort to advertise Jersey. Paying a 10% tip in a euro country restaurant may be the norm but not when you have paid 35%  more for the meal etc. It won’t be long before the countries affected by a deep downturn in tourism will respond, so Jersey get on with it.   

BB

Offline churchill

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »
£4 MILLION . Theres nothing here for tourists. NOTHING ...
Im sick to the back teeth with this waste of our money.

I may pack up and leave this place.
 Jersey has no direction now except DOWN.
.I know many good people who have left over the past 10 years.
And guess what. They are enjoying life. They can afford to live .not just exist.

Offline lara.luke

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »
I agree there is nothing here for tourists to do - but they are only here for a week or two - so what exactly is there here for us residents then ;D
Just for today do not anger

Offline Ashley

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2009, 10:27:31 AM »
JERSEY will soon be advertised as ‘Europe without the euro’ in the UK to try to attract tourists to the Island.

From the JEP

A decision was taken at a top-level meeting of industry leaders last week to use the weakness of the pound directly as a marketing tool for 2009.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/01/24/come-to-jersey-its-euro-free/

Its taken a while, in fact to long, but no doubt some of the industries leaders and tourisms civil servants while  travelling have noticed the advantage of a concerted effort to advertise Jersey. Paying a 10% tip in a euro country restaurant may be the norm but not when you have paid 35%  more for the meal etc. It won’t be long before the countries affected by a deep downturn in tourism will respond, so Jersey get on with it.   

BB

I would like to state here and now that I believe that some bod form tourism read this thread and stole my thoughts.

Regardless.  It's absolutely the direction we need to go in. 

ole razzy

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 03:59:56 AM »
I would like to state here and now that I believe that some bod form tourism read this thread and stole my thoughts.

Regardless.  It's absolutely the direction we need to go in. 

I think this is the direction we need to go in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=q9VV2jXhD1k

Lets open offices in Guatamala and Thailand.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »
 well they look like they had a good time on the  you tube link.
 this is the kind  of tourism  we used to have ,  family's on holiday, the good old bucket and spade brigade.
 it was fine till some fool said "we need to get a better class of tourist"
my bread  and butter was from these people  deck chairs as a summer job in the school holidays , then later on in life hire cars  and the  repairs off, ( all but gone now).
 and still today , find the time to engage with them when they look lost, or need help. they are a guest in our island , and ive have had the same offered to me  when abroad .
 yes its a lot of money, too much imho.
 i wish i had my old report  from the 70's  as to what tourism was worth to island .
 since the end of british rail , when many could come here cheap, its being in decline .
 plus our greed. 

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2011, 05:13:54 AM »
eh yes ah the good old days  ;D

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:32 AM »
Here's the problem the Channel Isles face:

And when you get there, Jersey and Guernsey are not cheap, to eat out, drink, etc.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2012, 02:28:39 AM »
The Tourism dept should just be shut down.
Market forces will decide whether Jersey is worth visiting.
"The Bucket and Spade Brigade", used to come here for, Cheap fags, booze,jewellery,no tax betting, and maybe a bit of decent weather.

No amount of marketing is going to bring enough "Cliff path walkers and Cream Tea enthusiasts",to justify the cost of a dedicated Tourism Dept .

It would cost less to shut it down and put all the staff on benefits.
A few of the managers could be re-located to Social Security to ,"Manage", the booming client base.

"Simples".

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
The Tourism dept should just be shut down.
Market forces will decide whether Jersey is worth visiting.
"The Bucket and Spade Brigade", used to come here for, Cheap fags, booze,jewellery,no tax betting, and maybe a bit of decent weather.

No amount of marketing is going to bring enough "Cliff path walkers and Cream Tea enthusiasts",to justify the cost of a dedicated Tourism Dept .

It would cost less to shut it down and put all the staff on benefits.
A few of the managers could be re-located to Social Security to ,"Manage", the booming client base.

"Simples".

I really can't understand why the States kept 'flogging a dead horse' either.  Jobs for the boys I fear.  Tourism has been badly run for years.  This is coming from the top of course you can't blame the blue collars!

Shut tourism down and as was said let it find its own market.  See how many would leave the sinking ship without subsidy then eh?  The bucket and spade left the island after the fall of the mining industry and the withdrawal of British Railways from the island.

Cali
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:22:19 AM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored