Author Topic: £1,200,000.00 Jersey Tourism Advert  (Read 20020 times)

Offline Fritz

Re: £1,200,000.00 Jersey Tourism Advert
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »
Isn,t there still an old Jersey law in force that says the french can be shot on sight?
If so, why bother helping them with their shopping when we could just shoot them and help ourselves to their dosh when they set foot on the island. ;D

Offline danrok

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
Isn,t there still an old Jersey law in force that says the french can be shot on sight?
If so, why bother helping them with their shopping when we could just shoot them and help ourselves to their dosh when they set foot on the island. ;D

It only applies if you use a musket or canon ball.

Offline moot

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
I haven's seen the advert and don't wish to see it either. I have seen so many over the years they are all the same
In the late seventies Jersey had 29.000 hotel beds which were full for most of the summer season. In addition to these approx 300 beds were available in local resident's houses which were allowed 5 visitors at a time. These were full during July & August. The then President of Tourism Clarrie Dupre ran Tourism while selling fish from his stall in the market. Now we are left with a mere 11500 beds and accommodation for the Battle of Flowers period is still available at the end of July. The department employs all sorts of people with fancy titles who talk about niche markets and attracting big spenders etc. 
Their irrelevant waffle bores me to tears as all they do is try to justify their inflated salaries. They are well past their sell by date and live in the past.
The new tourist office is a bland non-descriptive joke which no one seems to be able to find. An very expensive and unecessary folly
All they need now is a decent portokabin parked next to British home stores to supplying information to the few visitors and a small kiosk at harbour and airport. Another option is the Town hall which Simon Crowcroft suggested some time ago and is an ideal location.
There should be a Channel Islands website and online bookings could be handled from anywhere in the island( Haut de la Garenne ? ;D)  Once potential visitors had been attracted to the site they could then make their choice of the island which most suited them.  This time of year Tourism chiefs say " they are hopeful" and "inquiries are encouraging". Later on they will "bookings are patchy" Then they blame poor bookings on something in the news like Recession or exchange rate, weather etc. The summer will have them announce that " Autumn bookings look promising" End of year the figures are down and in January the whole tape will start running again.
Jersey has much natural beauty and great restaurants - that's about all and there are so many places in the world who have the same
In the meantime the closure of hotels continues and visitor numbers decline
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:56:58 PM by moot »

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 11:08:23 PM »
In the late seventies Jersey had 29.000 hotel beds which were full for most of the summer season. In addition to these approx 300 beds were available in local resident's houses which were allowed 5 visitors at a time. These were full during July & August. The then President of Tourism Clarrie Dupre ran Tourism while selling fish from his stall in the market. Now we are left with a mere 11500 beds and accommodation for the Battle of Flowers period is still available at the end of July. The department employs all sorts of people with fancy titles who talk about niche markets and attracting big spenders etc. 
Their irrelevant waffle bores me to tears as all they do is try to justify their inflated salaries. They are well past their sell by date and live in the past.

I know someone who worked on the Sealink (British Rail owned, nationalised) ferries in the 1970s. Every day in high season, the ferries deposited 1000 foot passengers on Albert Pier. Many of them were railway workers on annual leave. They had free rail travel to Weymouth, and free ferry travel, for the family.

That situation no longer exists, so it's a bit unfair to cite the good old days, when the good old days were clearly rigged in Jersey's favour. Nowadays, we have to work to attract tourists, rather than having them deposited on our shores for free.

I've no axe to grind, I just want people to take the rose-tinted, good old days, specs off.

Offline moot

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 11:54:36 PM »
Nowadays, we have to work to attract tourists, rather than having them deposited on our shores for free.
I've no axe to grind, I just want people to take the rose-tinted, good old days, specs off.

That's why the Tourism department need a good shake up. One of the chief's Mr De Carteret has been for decades and is pompous and very complacent. All he thinks of is his ample salary. We need new people in there with new ideas and a new approach to be able to sell the few hotel beds we have left.
This is no easy task as many of the island's attractions have closed down over the years and we don't have the weather here.  The bottom line : A holiday in Jersey is expensive for the British and Europeans alike ( even with low sterling) and expensive holidays are very difficult to sell in a recession
I have no doubt that the arrival figures will be down again which might partially be down to the old fashioned attitude of Minister Mc Clean who thinks he can tell HD Ferries what to do with their ferry. They should be allowed to operate from 1st March till 30 September on the St Malo route and Condor with all their fancy procedures, uniforms etc can continue to rip everyone off on the UK route

Offline Jerseyite

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 12:43:41 AM »
I have no doubt that the arrival figures will be down again which might partially be down to the old fashioned attitude of Minister Mc Clean who thinks he can tell HD Ferries what to do with their ferry. They should be allowed to operate from 1st March till 30 September on the St Malo route and Condor with all their fancy procedures, uniforms etc can continue to rip everyone off on the UK route

Now if HD Ferries were not only allowed operate the St Malo run throughout the Summer months but were also permitted to do a mainland run (even if only on 2 or 3 days a week), we might then get a few more holiday makers. 

Heck, even if the visitors weren't to come here due to cheaper travel costs HD Ferries would provide, I'd be happy to use their services to get off the rock for a bit!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 08:31:27 PM »
I haven's seen the advert and don't wish to see it either. I have seen so many over the years they are all the same
The new tourist office is a bland non-descriptive joke which no one seems to be able to find. An very expensive and unecessary folly
All they need now is a decent portokabin parked next to British home stores to supplying information to the few visitors and a small kiosk at harbour and airport. Another option is the Town hall which Simon Crowcroft suggested some time ago and is an ideal location.
There should be a Channel Islands website and online bookings could be handled from anywhere in the island( Haut de la Garenne ? ;D)  Once potential visitors had been attracted to the site they could then make their choice of the island which most suited them.  This time of year Tourism chiefs say " they are hopeful" and "inquiries are encouraging". Later on they will "bookings are patchy" Then they blame poor bookings on something in the news like Recession or exchange rate, weather etc. The summer will have them announce that " Autumn bookings look promising" End of year the figures are down and in January the whole tape will start running again.
Jersey has much natural beauty and great restaurants - that's about all and there are so many places in the world who have the same
In the meantime the closure of hotels continues and visitor numbers decline

I remember it well.
Loads of working class families landing in Jersey with pockets full of spending money each year for their holidays.
They spent their money on , "Tax-free", booze, ciggies and gold. They enjoyed the beaches and the hospitality, went home happy and left the local businesses happy.

Then someone decided, (From Tourism?), that Jersey shouldn,t be catering for, "The Bucket and Spade Brigade".

What happened next?

Offline Jerseyite

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »

They spent their money on , "Tax-free", booze, ciggies and gold.

....And everyone went home with a Bob Anthony album which was bought to remind them of the wonderful holiday they'd had. ;D

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 10:16:08 PM »
I don't think someone from tourism actually took that decision. The market changed, principally due to the rise of budget airlines.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
America on its financial knees,and  has just shot itself in the foot. Tourism is a good earner for America (as it should be for short breaks to Jersey ) As from Monday to enter America you must fill in a 50 word security form. With questions such as do you have any sexual diseases etc. This must be done at least three days before travel, according to Saturdays Daily Mail. To make matters worse for them it must be done online, not all older folk have computers. There will be no exceptions.

Strong  Dollar against the pound as well !!

Jerseys Government is not known for its prudence with the taxpayers money. At the very least, the businesses out side of finance may be able earn some much needed extra revenu, from the short stay market. Its better that the ministers spend money on tourism advertisiing, rather than their own luxery trips.

There is an oppertunity not to be missed here. Jersey should grap it with both hands.

BB

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:58:50 PM by Mod 4 »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
I don't think someone from tourism actually took that decision. The market changed, principally due to the rise of budget airlines.

If you know your history, I think you will find that ,"Tourism", did actually decide to change their marketing strategy away from the, "Bucket and spade brigade".

What the powers that be failed to realise was that ,"The bucket and spade brigade", arrived with pockets full of money and went home skint, but happy.

The new target was a bit more up-market.
  Arrive, enjoy the scenery, and leave without spending a penny outside the hotel they were living in compliments of the company that arranged the conference.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »
It only applies if you use a musket or canon ball.

If ever there was a case for rifles being overrated!

Offline Sarah Ferguson

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 11:40:47 PM »
P de T is absolutely correct - once sea link disappeared so did the bucket and spade brigade.

Offline stoofa

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »
I doubt the island would ever appeal to the same market that it did in its tourism heyday. Travel is a completely different proposition now as medium haul flights are infinitely more accessible.

Make it cheaper than spain and guarantee the weather and you might get em back. Unfortunately not going to happen.

Offline danrok

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
Tax revenues from tourism, and Jersey Tourism's spending must surely be close to parity now.

It's about time they made some serious spending cuts.

What's Maclean's stance on this?