Author Topic: Another Blunder with Tourism  (Read 5150 times)

Offline danrok

Another Blunder with Tourism
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
Fewer visit tourism office

It's been revealed that the number of people visiting Jersey's Tourist Information office has fallen following its move away from Liberation Square.

The rest:
http://www5.channelonline.tv/news/templates/jerseynews2.aspx?articleid=16909&zoneid=1

See the main story for some feeble excuses.

Offline moot

Re: Another Blunder with Tourism
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
Wait till they start sinking the road and work on the five year Waterfront plan. They might as well close up shop and go home as Jersey tourism will sink with the road

Offline The Rev Peter Sarkey

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:10:02 AM »
Interesting that all the costly blunders made by tourism are made by the same clowns who are still in their fatcat jobs.
"That's not in the effing good book!"

Razzard

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
A job in the Civil Service really is a job for life isn’t it. How rare a dismissal is for poor performance? I had a very interesting conversation with the marketing person two years ago at the BOF but they won't remember because they were blind drunk.

At the time we were chatting (actually I was chatting they were more pre-occupied with trying to stand up) Jodie Marsh was smoking her fags on the float. Andy from X-factor looked very nervously across the sea of grey hair that belonged to the crowds. In the hospitality tent the wine was really flowing but weirdly the floats weren’t moving and when they did there were huge gaps between them.  Nobody seemed to mind this.
The whole thing said amateur - but when you come to think about it I guess it’s just that. Certainly not world class and definitely not the envy of the world.

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »
What about the £275k cock up at Gorey a couple of years ago - all taxpayers money and the buggers are still there----

Razzard

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:00:57 PM »
What about the £275k cock up at Gorey a couple of years ago - all taxpayers money and the buggers are still there----

Ah yes I remember it very very well. But mostly I remember the car sticker that was widely distributed at the same time that informed us we should 'Have Pride in Jersey'.

The irony was, of course, lost on the majority.

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »
The pride in jersey bit wasn't suggested by Philip by any chance?? Or wasn't that a reference to a carnival in favour of tourism??

Razzard

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 01:30:59 PM »
The pride in jersey bit wasn't suggested by Philip by any chance??

I think it bears all the hallmarks but he also has a close group of nation builders to hand whom he can draw upon to pump out similar hot air should we need reminding of how lucky we are to be here.

Our National Gallery, our push for Independence and indeed our very own Liberation Day are now part of the Bailiff's wider strategy to stay well out of politics.

Celebrating 800 years of the crown - bet they're looking back now and thinking 'wtf were we playing at'.

PS - question to Senator Vibert ..."Was that another financial loss on your watch?"

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »
Tourism would actually show a profit if it didn,t have to finance the Tourism Dept. FACT!

Offline danrok

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »
Tourism would actually show a profit if it didn,t have to finance the Tourism Dept. FACT!

I don't doubt it.  Their budget dwarfs the budgets of UK tourist boards, such as Brighton, by an incredible amount.

UK tourism boards get 5 figure sums mostly, a few will get a small 6 figure sum.  Jersey tourism gets millions every year.

Offline shaun the sheep

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »
New tourism brocher is a joke.
109 map referances, and 109 referances are wrong.
anyone else see that on Channel Peport?

Offline moot

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 04:12:54 PM »

Senator Alan Maclean is asking the States to employ a board drawn from the private sector to shadow Jersey Tourism.

â€˜The benefit of a shadow board is to get structured, focused and in-depth advice on the day-to-day operations of Jersey Tourism,’ said Senator Maclean

So what exactley are the executives and managers employed at Jersey Tourism actually doing if they need managing and oversight ?

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2012/11/03/plan-for-a-shadow-board-to-brighten-the-future-of-tourism/

Who will pay for this new quango of suits ?

Come to Jersey, a life enriching holiday and have your kids drown because the money has been allocated to employ more managers to manage the managers and there is not enough to pay front line -  life guards.

JEP

SOME of the Island’s most popular beaches could be without lifeguards this summer because of States cutbacks

http://www.thisisjersey.com/latest/2010/12/30/cuts-threat-to-lifeguard-service

Muppets.

BB

Offline Dundee

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »
I did question this as it is what SKAL have done in the past and could continue to do so, basically people in the industry liaising with other countries. Why not just ask them to be the body?

I wonder if any of the 2,000 unemployed will be considered to be part of this body? or will it be the usual social and business connections to politicians.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 11:13:40 PM »

Good point Dundee, I seem to remember the tourism department working with the Jersey hospitality group in order to import private sector feed back, to the benefit of all in the industry.

So what happened to that plan ? Are the major investors here not deemed bright enough to work with the tourism department ?

On the basis that those running a business will know far more, and be keener to see that business succeed, there was a plan for the States to scrap the tourism office completely and match pound for pound money invested by the industry. This would aim and focus funding while probably saving a small fortune in keeping the States department going with all the trips and wages.

Obviously that got put on the scrap-heap as well.

Still mustn't grumble  ;)

bb