Author Topic: Condor price control?  (Read 3501 times)

Jason the Maverick

Condor price control?
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:35:19 PM »
Condor’s prices may be regulated by the States if a competitor does not sail on the St Malo route.

The loss of HD Ferries has sparked widespread concern that prices are likely to rise with Condor, once again enjoying a monopoly position on the southern route.

Addressing the States yesterday, Economic Development Minister Philip Ozouf said that he would like to see competition on the route. However, he said that if no competitor was found, he would introduce new laws to give the Jersey Competition Regulatory Authority the power to introduce some sort of price regulation.

Senator Ozouf said that he was ‘extremely disappointed’ with HD’s performance and said that he would be talking to the company about its obligations under the service level agreement it signed with the States. ‘We made maximum efforts to assist them and welcome competition on that route,’ he said.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/09/09/states-keep-an-eye-on-condor-prices/

I just wonder how they can do this, or is this just a threat and hope tactic?

Offline Fritz

Re: Condor price control?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
I,d like to know how The States propose to, "Police", Condor,s pricing.

Will they threaten to give Heritage a license for the route??

Offline Conductor

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:58 PM »
Do it like the way they handled Polish people getting jobs ahead of locals 3 years ago.  Send them a letter pleading with them to stop.

Offline Swompy

• Jersey Beautiful Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »
The prices charged by  Conn Ferries is ridiculous, I would like to know who are the share holders of Conn Ferries and how many states members own shares, ?
What ARE you doing to my Beautiful Jersey?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »
Lets remember that P & O ( that gigantic world wide shipping company) that was keen to take over the England  / Jersey route when Condor/ Commodores licence expired some time back. Even States members were upset that the then head of Harbours and Airport Committee, Senator Len Norman awarded the licence to ........................................Condor? 

Offline moot

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
"Philip Ozouf said that he would like to see competition on the route. However, he said that if no competitor was found, he would introduce new laws to give the Jersey Competition Regulatory Authority the power to introduce some sort of price regulation"

What took Ozouf so long to think of controlling Condor's prices when they have a monopoly ? For years they have been the sole operator on the UK route and he never mentioned this . Suddenly because HD pulled out he has this grand idea
Condor is losing out on the UK route by charging such ridiculous prices
No one I know travels with them as it is cheaper to fly and hire a car at the other end. Also with the high fuel prices it would be pricy to get from for instance Weymouth to let's say Manchester by car. Flying gets you there direct, cheaper and quicker. Students going for their first year to Uni are better off flying, post all their stuff to their UK address and buy the rest there
It saves a fortune ! We need HD on the route..

Offline Saucy Sara

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »
How can they fix Condor prices?  What if they say no?  Do we end up with no service provider at all?

Offline jez strickland

• Forthcomingbusiness
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:09:32 PM »
How can they fix Condor prices?  What if they say no?  Do we end up with no service provider at all?

By 'fix' I presume you mean the remedial definition of the word? If so I'm with you on that. Now, more than ever, we need an ombudsman (ombudsperson with the anti-Discrimination Law).
Apart from making public their recommendations on ferry prices, the ombudsperson would have the authority to impose citations, and fines where appropriate.
I would go so far as to consider a 'national' ferry service operated by the States. It would, hopefully operate at cost, at least, and any profits fed back into relevant services such as increasing harbour costs, or help toward one-off capital projects of equal relevance (new berths; new derricks; new vessels, etc)
The main benefit of a nationalised service would be a more cohesive relationship between tourism, and it's revenue, and a good value-for-money service. Hopefully the pair would be entwined for the overall benefit of the Island. The latter is for our electives to manage efficiently. If a loss is made then:
1) Initially suspect a deliberate action to sell-off for the gain of a few (forgive my cyncism)
2) If a loss due to genuine incompetence then change the minister(s) responsible.
3) At no cost do we give up, and resort to 1).

Let's face it there has only been room for one operator in this sector we might as well do it ourselves for the Island's benefit, not shareholders.

Offline moot

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 07:17:28 PM »
"Let's face it there has only been room for one operator in this sector we might as well do it ourselves for the Island's benefit, not shareholders"

Interesting way of seeing this problem. I hadn't thought of that
Governments aren't usually good at running a business but Aurigny, owned by Guernsey states has again made a profit this year
Perhaps there could be a joint private/ public ownership..

Offline newmac

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »
They should also look at the fuel surcharges that condor charge. It was stated in the JEP the other day in reply to Sandpipers question about them that they only charge what it costs them.
So how come it's the same surcharge for a motorbike/scooter as it is for a car/mpv :-\

Offline The Rev Peter Sarkey

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »
The problem has been the subtle multi corporate relationship between Morvan Fils ( all shipped goods to Jersey other than UK) being owned by Commodore ( all shipping from UK and now Condor Logistics) and Condor surprisingly Ferries. Why did they kill Emeraude?
"That's not in the effing good book!"

Offline moot

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:30:24 PM »
Dylan
No one killed Emeraude, its owners killed it
I worked for them and could tell you some stories but not here