Author Topic: VAT, GST and the poor  (Read 7544 times)

Offline en830

Re: VAT, GST and the poor
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »
Thanks JTM you work in finance and again its ok for Terry le Suer to TAX  kids food, old age pensioners and the rest of the working population but as you have verified not banks, can you understand the resentment this causes?

Not necessarily banks, but finance businesses in general are being charged £100 International Services Entity Jersey (ISE Fee) for each Jersey resident company. This is charged to the Finance business, who keep a register of all ISE's, and not the client. It is up to the business to try and claim back this charge from its clients. The company that I work for has paid out in excess of 1/2m in ISE payments so far this year.
You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:17:05 AM »
Yes, I forgot about the ISE.

A couple of things here.  For starters, when Corporation Tax was moved to 0-10 it just shows how much revenue we were getting from the finance industry before this change, and the people who forever complain about it don't want the finance industry!

My second comment is that BB says the poor are being shafted, but they are getting handouts and the IT exemption rate has been raised by 6.5%.  Are they totally being shafted?  I think the middle earner with no exemptions is the one that is suffering the most now.

Offline Tory Boy

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 08:50:42 AM »
If they cannot afford to live here then they should go somewhere else Jersey owes nobody a living.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »
JTM quote

My second comment is that BB says the poor are being shafted, but they are getting handouts and the IT exemption rate has been raised by 6.5%.  Are they totally being shafted?  I think the middle earner with no exemptions is the one that is suffering the most now.

I actually agree with you Jason, my politics are slightly to the right of  middle.

In the perfect world, The millionaires on Jersey would be paying their fare share, the banks would be paying GST on those products eligible, everyone not ill, on very low incomes or retired would be putting something in the pot. It does seem with the very very rich politicians in power at the moment, their is a two tier system / society and its getting worse. I believe I view both.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »
We seem to only blame the current people in Government, but it goes much further back than that.

Offline soon

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
This all sounds good in theory, but I'd like to see what actually happens in Jersey.

I mean we have a pretty crap welfare system as it is.  We're still on the "there's a boat in the morning" system for the unemployed.

The unemployed who meet the residential requirements are entitled to the full range of income support as long as they are actively job-seeking. This seems an improvement on the old system where it was a discretionary handout by the local parish officials. Also there has been an increase in benefits to cover the impact of GST.

Those on low incomes by local standards, but who are above the income support threshold, will have proportionally taken the hardest hit from GST.

Check page 6 of this document - http://www.gov.je/NR/rdonlyres/211DE32D-0D40-4F7F-AF75-52D6CADAAD78/0/DraftIncomeSupportJerseyRegulations200P902007.pdf
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:30:48 PM by soon »

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
I had to claim Parish welfare at one time when we had over 1,000 out of work in the early 90's.

From memory a lot of the people that were claiming benefit were pretty well unemployable.  Most had been inside.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »
When ,so called, "health taxes", are introduced, (to gain public support).
IE: more tax on booze and ciggies.

What a lot of people fail to comprehend is how these taxes actually affect the economy as a whole.

More tax on booze= less people drinking= people living a bit longer = more pressure on pension funds and services.

Same can be said about tax on cigarettes, cars,fuel etc.

And lets not forget that if everyone decides to stop driving, smoking and drinking, there are going to be a lot of people put out of work, and something else will have to be taxed to make up the deficit.

Offline Tory Boy

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 08:15:47 PM »
Taxes on drink and cigarettes is used to treat the disease it starts.  Real good Tory policy.

Offline danrok

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »
I had to claim Parish welfare at one time when we had over 1,000 out of work in the early 90's.

From memory a lot of the people that were claiming benefit were pretty well unemployable.  Most had been inside.

A conviction does not make a person unemployable, there are a lot of people with convictions who go to work everyday.  I can even think of a few people who have their own businesses, have made a few million, and have been to jail before.

The construction industry actively employs convicts, some are even still serving their sentences, and go back to jail when they finish work.

Just as well that some employers will give them work, otherwise we would have a major problem to deal with.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »
Well this was some years ago.