Author Topic: Is it R.P.I. or R.I.P ?  (Read 3832 times)

Jason the Maverick

Is it R.P.I. or R.I.P ?
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:35 AM »
You know a lot has already been said about the astonishing 4.5% R.P.I. announced on the run up to GST at 3%.

States workers for starters will no doubt be demanding inflation based pay increases and then there is people like me, in the Private Sector, who will be hoping for these figures to also be taken into account when reviews are made.

But what if for arguments sake we to get 7.5% or above inflation by Christmas?

And what effect will this have on our competitivenes as an offshore finance centre, tourism and the exporter of our Jersey Royals?

I somehow think we have a storm coming......
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:23:45 PM by JTM »

Guernsey Donkey

Re: Is it R.P.I. or R.I.P ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 01:00:37 AM »
Jtm it could be 7.5% plus the GST, a massive 10.5% total possible increase thats some inflation. I know that Guernsey's RPI was 4.9% at least we are greatful that we don't have a GST yet....

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 04:04:56 AM »
Well they reckon the 3% GST will be more like 5% because of the added cost put on business to get it into place.  They have to replenish their over-heads from somewhere so I think you could be right.

But I think the main difference between Guernsey and Jersey is that our Government spends more than yours.......

JamieC

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
me and the mrs are getting worried.we will see how it goes here.may have to go to uk or somewhere else where it is cheaper

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 12:04:16 AM »
It is a dilemma for many.  You stick around whilst there is work but is it financially possible to stick around for life?

You don't get very much for your money anymore.

Offline Millennium Man

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »
It is a lot different now to the 80's.

You used to be able to afford and go out on the lash every night but not anymore.

The Government has never taken inflation seriously, GST being a prime example.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:18:54 AM »
And they said it would not be inflationary....... ???

Offline Millennium Man

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 03:26:07 AM »
It is R.I.P.

Last one out turn off the lights.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »

To ways to attack your spending power, inflation and shrinking allowances. Only one mentioned by Government.

Its my understanding that inflation is supposed to be the way we tell how much less we can buy at the end of the year compared to the same time last year. So as an example my £100 pounds on the 31 December 2007 bought goods costing a hundred pounds, As at the 31st December 2008 with inflation at a published 6.4%  my hundred pounds is now worth £93.60 (less £6.40) . This is not the full truth as Senator Walker and Senator Le suer will be aware of.

The point I am making is that with all the allowance cuts 20 means 20 and whatever stealth taxes you are taking from the working population, would it not be fairer to have two measures of why we are poorer. Firstly inflation and then a second called worse off than you were last year graph.

It would of course be sensible to mention that most workers get an annual pay rise, lets guess at about 3%. This of course means that this year's inflation of 6.4% has taken two years wage increases out the window.
Nope lets stick with worse off than last year.

Boatyboy

Offline Fritz

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »
Worse off than last year= Reality.

Doesn,t matter what way they spin it, the "Civil Services?", in their totallity are TOO FAT, in managerial and administrative areas.

Too many chiefs supervising too few indians.

Simple as that.