Author Topic: Mince Pies  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
Mince Pies
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
I see mince pies on sale in the shops already. I love them, but like other foods I think their delight is enhanced by being taken seasonally and locally where possible.

So my proposition is:  no sales of mince pies outside of the month of December.

ole razzy

Re: Mince Pies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
I'll second that!

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »
Damn right!!
The children get fed up with waiting for Christmas Day, it takes away the excitement of the whole of Christmas.
Next week i hear Easter Eggs in shops.

Offline en830

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:38 AM »
Mark, mince pies out of season you say !?!?!?!. In Waitrose yesterday I saw Hot Cross Buns !!!

Maybe there is a case to add this issue to your manifesto !?!?!?!
You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Offline man in the street

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
is the season to be jolly, not if you had no cost of living  pay rise, and swallowed the gst , and general rise in the cost of modern day slavery.
 as the kids have grown up now, i can get my bah humbug lights out.
 i need very little of the rubbish that is suposed to make our xmas fun.
the season of forced merryment and cheer.
 if the kids are going elsewhere for xmas , myself and the wife  will enjoy  a good cuddle up, and sod everyone else .

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:59:58 PM »
is the season to be jolly, not if you had no cost of living  pay rise, and swallowed the gst , and general rise in the cost of modern day slavery.
 as the kids have grown up now, i can get my bah humbug lights out.
 i need very little of the rubbish that is suposed to make our xmas fun.
the season of forced merryment and cheer.
 if the kids are going elsewhere for xmas , myself and the wife  will enjoy  a good cuddle up, and sod everyone else .

My sentiments entirely!  Good on you man in the street!  But there again I am a wrinkly and don't need much these days.

Cali  :P
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »
 i did say to my neigbour , in front of his kids (teenagers ) that "how about a old style christmas , with a orange and a copy of the bible .
 the look of horror was a picture.
 mind you "merry christmas " is free and can be given to anyone .

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
i did say to my neigbour , in front of his kids (teenagers ) that "how about a old style christmas , with a orange and a copy of the bible .
 the look of horror was a picture.
 mind you "merry christmas " is free and can be given to anyone .

With respect, a vision of a Christian version comparable with the Taliban passed through my mind when I read your post :).

I can only think maybe, like me, you wish for simplicity rather than austerity during the Christmas holidays. It is easy to achieve simplicity we do it every year - Not being Christian I don't feel the pressure to push the boat out unduly and we keep presents modest and the sentiments expressed are that we are thankful to have such lovely family and friends and live on such a beautiful island with such lovely scenery even if the politics have become septic.  That time of year seems to highlight loneliness for some in my view and with the current economic situation it may be worse than ever this year.

I feel a lot more positive about celebrating New Year though.  In with the new eh?  If the voting on 19th October 2011 goes to plan  the New Year might indeed be worth welcoming in the changes.

I vote that we keep Mine Pies for Christmas only

Cali  ;D 

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »
 our house will not be getting into debt , for xmas  thats for sure .
 the bible and the orange , was a tongue in cheek with next doors parents ;)
 yes bring on the new year, getting better in march.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 03:57:11 AM »
I concur with you Calimachon on Christmas although we do push the boat out on presents for the grandchildren. Keep Christmas for the family and friends.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »

Even though Jersey is going through tough times not helped by the council of muppets, there are still good hard working people, with kindnessand honesty in their hearts.

May I wish you a merry Xmas and a healthy and happy new year.

Best Wishes all of you,

Boatyboy.

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »
i looked back  on previous posts on this thread.
and noticed that  many  are  still  waiting  for a meaningful  pay  rise .
  andium   homes   rents  have  gobbled up  any  pay  rise  that  many  got .
  so   same  same  some  five  years  down  the  road .
   still  the poorly  run  muppet  show ,  still   squanders   our  tax money   hand over   fist .
  for  the yuletide log , just  remember log filler .
 as  the  site   for  the hospital  seems  to be  going  ahead ,  the massive  search high  and low " just  think of  going on  a bear hunt" for  the  site .
  and  the  easterbunny   can  now continue   his or  her  hunt high  and low  for  the new  ambulance  station.
  with  no  doubt  another  raft of  expensive  talking  and  drawing .

still  wishing  you  all  a  merry christmas  and  happy   and  healthy  new  year .
  you  have  to be healthy  as  good  health  would only  happen  to be  for people  with  private  insurance .

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 05:04:18 AM »
Gotta keep smiling through it all and keep a sense of humour.   The very best to everyone for the new year