Author Topic: More taxes to come?  (Read 8489 times)

Jason the Maverick

More taxes to come?
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:06:41 AM »
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/09/25/minister-hints-at-more-tax-changes/

MORE changes could be on the way for Jersey’s tax system, Treasury Minister Terry Le Sueur suggested this week.

Senator Le Sueur said that although the past few years had seen probably the biggest change since tax was first introduced in the Island, this did not necessarily mean that a period of fiscal stability would follow. ‘Until now Jersey has been inward looking, but in the 21st century it will have to be far more global, more international,’ he said. ‘The commercial reality is that things have had to change if Jersey is to remain competitive.’

The minister was speaking on Monday at the inaugural meeting of the Jersey branch of the Chartered Institute of Taxation, which was attended by up to 200 accountants and tax advisers Newly-appointed branch chairman John Shenton said that one of the main aims of the branch would be education, including four seminars a year. ‘This has never been more relevant to the Island that it is now,’ he said.

The Chartered Institute of Taxation is responsible for setting the standard Chartered Tax Adviser examinations and also offers an Advanced Diploma in International Taxation. Nick Goulding, president of the Institute, who formally opened the branch, said: ‘We have always wanted to have a branch here. We have begun to look overseas and the last branch to open was in the Isle of Man. We also opened last year in Australasia.’

They will probably add all the replacement GST ideas that have been flying around.

Offline boatyboy

Re: More taxes to come?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »

States at it again, pushing up the cost of living and kicking businesses.

Bigger Fees a Threat to Bookies

A Jersey bookmaker says plans for a four fold increase in the cost of a betting office licence could put the island’s independent bookies out of business.

The Minister for Economic Development wants the fee to rise to £5000 a year to cover the cost of regulating the industry.

Charges haven’t increased since 2001, and at the moment the fee is just under £1300.
Ronald Vaughan from Better Bet in Millbrook says if the increased fees are approved it will cripple his business.
Also under the plans, charities and groups would also have to pay double to hold any kind of bingo event or lottery.

http://www.jerseyinsight.com/news_1.aspx?id=0:11710&news=2:3369

BB

debumblebee

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »
I know Ron and I am astonished he has made such a claim. If he wants to sell his shop it would not take long.

Offline Norman_Point

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »
Just as a point of interest, how many licensed betting establishments operate in Jersey today?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »

As a thought, cost of living rise say 6% per year from 2001 add eight years, so 6x8=48%.

Still a large jump. However 48% of the fee at 1,300 is £624 pounds.

What are the States actually doing for the £3,700 pounds proposed increase.What value are they adding to business or the quality of life on this island ? I don't use betting shops, but another business that contributes rather burdens the taxpayer suffers ?

BB

Offline stoneface

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:57:19 PM »
£3,700 is not to be sniffed at... but unless there's something I'm misunderstanding - which there might well be, I know nothing of the betting industry here - I just don't see how that could "cripple" an otherwise healthy business.

Yes, this pushes up the cost of entry, and favours the larger players with their economies of scale... but is this guy that close to the just-not-worth-it-any-more line?
"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it." - John Stuart Mill

debumblebee

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Betting Shops are licenced premises so they have to be policed. I understand that if a minor is caught in a Betting Shop them the shop could lose its licence. You can also be barred from a Betting Shop for no reason which is similar to Star. Presumably these fees go towards the policing.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
As a thought, cost of living rise say 6% per year from 2001 add eight years, so 6x8=48%.

Still a large jump. However 48% of the fee at 1,300 is £624 pounds.

What are the States actually doing for the £3,700 pounds proposed increase.What value are they adding to business or the quality of life on this island ? I don't use betting shops, but another business that contributes rather burdens the taxpayer suffers ?

BB

I do not know if anyone heard Radio Jersey interviewing Honest Nev (Neville Ahier) yesterday about the licensing fee increase. Quite rightly he complained but then said the increase was 80% whereas it is 300%.

For any betting men amongst you I suggest you go to Nev for a bit of arbitraging on the Gees Gees!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »
If a bookie cannot afford £100pw he,s not very good at his job.

debumblebee

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 04:28:05 AM »
In fairness the small betting shops are up against the big major players aka Hills & Ladbrokes who will take big players. But £5k for a licence is peanuts.

Offline Norman_Point

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »
You can also be barred from a Betting Shop for no reason which is similar to Star.

One (I used an impersonal word in case I am accused of trolling) can be barred from any commercial undertaking.  One enters such premises at the sole discretion of the owner or occupier, and not by any right.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:54:08 PM by Norman_Point »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 02:07:35 AM »
I,m barred from most Jersey Bookies.

My crime?

Winning too often.

I now have to pay people to place my bets.

Still works for me, till they start barring my staff.

Offline stoneface

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 02:32:37 AM »
Haha, Fritz, you should feel complimented!
"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it." - John Stuart Mill

Offline Fritz

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 02:41:52 AM »
"Complimented", doesn,t help when 5-10% of my income goes to paying staff that I could do without.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
Ben Shenton, Francis Le Gresley  or any  another heavy weight politician urgently  need to propose that GST is now NOT raised as the Treasury Minister Phillip Ozouf figures have now been proved to be spurilous.

The other slim possibility is like David Cameron, Phillip Ozouf is big enough to actually apologies and scrap, the increase himself.

What would boss Terry Le Suer say then, who actually cares after the mauling  of 37 vote to 11 not supporting Chief Minister Terry Le Suer in the States this week over the abuse inquiry.

JEP

THE official report on which the States based their decision to increase GST has been criticized by a Scrutiny panel.

The Treasury department’s 2010 Fiscal Strategy Review – which was used to justify the rise in GST from three per cent to five per cent from this June – has been labeled ‘too narrow’ and a ‘one-pronged attack’ by the Corporate
Services Scrutiny Panel.

www.thisisjersey.com/2011/03/03/gst-rise-basis-flawed/

BB
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:02:25 PM by boatyboy »