Author Topic: Reform and Constables  (Read 178 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Reform and Constables
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:55 PM »
No way should any body become a Constable unless he/she lives in the Parish they wish to serve. Also they must be British Citizen.
This island of ours has already gone far to British than Jersey way of life.
If Reform do not lookout they will not get re-elected.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Reform and Constables
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »
These Reform projets are coming thick and fast now as they aim for maximum airtime on BBC/ITV. You may not have realised it yet but in addition to today's debate on Constables, Tadier yesterday (Monday 15th) re-lodged his proposition that was heavily defeated a year ago to remove the British nationality requirement for Senators and Deputies. He is going to have to have to rely very heavily on the eastern European bloc vote following the announcement that the JEP are going to run a candidate against him in St Brelade.

So many of the statements he spews in this latest rehash proposition just come across like a stream of consciousness that bear little resemblance to reality. Here are some extracts. Please don't titter at the back as this guy is serious:

We live in a modern, globalised world and, increasingly, in a cosmopolitan and outward-looking Island. We teach our children that merit, ability, hard work and values are more important than what you look like, where you were born and whether you are rich or poor .

For me, community is more important than some dated sense of empire.  ::)

There should be as few barriers as possible to public office. There is already one sufficiently high bar: that of gaining the approval of the electorate. They should be the ones to choose who gets elected, irrespective of nationality.

Arguments will be made about what is done elsewhere, and whilst it is true that many countries have some kind of restriction of qualification – whether it be birth, citizenship, European nationality or Commonwealth Membership – others have none.
But I am not concerned about what others do. I am more concerned about what we do, and that what we do is right.
I ask members to support this proposition and to send a strong message out that we want a truly diverse Assembly – of the people, for the people – and that we are a modern, cosmopolitan and forward-thinking Island; not just in business, but in our political set-up too.

And it goes on ... and on .. and on...

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/assemblypropositions/2018/p.3-2018.pdf

Some brief comments:

Re 'community' - what community does he mean? The community where he regularly attends Parish Assemblies even though there is no evidence he actually pays rates or has ever lived there (i.e. St Helier); the one that you see him on telly representing all the time (St Brelade) or the one where he now finally admits he is actually living (St Clement). Presumably this means he'll now be interfering in the local politics of 3 different parishes. So much for unique communities!

Tadier talks about as few barriers as possible to public office but he has never opposed the current situation - thought to be unique in the western world - where candidates for our legislature have to make a public declaration (reported in the local newspaper) of whether they have ever been convicted at any time of a long list of criminal offences, overriding both international Data Protection principles and the Rehabilitation of Offenders legislation. If that doesn't put off people from some backgrounds from standing for office then I don't know what would. He also watched the Pitmans get automatically removed from the States 4 years ago due to completely outdated laws relating to the length of time before a Jersey bankruptcy is discharged and the disqualification from public office conditions yet he has not, to my knowledge, ever lobbied for those laws to be brought into line with the rest of Europe.

I also recall that I lobbied on this site for years to overturn the automatic ban on prisoners voting in elections - Tadier sat silent on that one in case it lost him any precious votes. What a principled reformist he is!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:54:35 AM »
I actually agree that anyone living in Jersey should be allowed to stand for public office.
In quite simple terms,"No Taxation without Representation".
If folk are to be denied the right to stand for election, they should also be exempt from paying tax.
Same goes for folk denied equal rights regarding housing.

"Simples".

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »
No way should any body become a Constable unless he/she lives in the Parish they wish to serve. Also they must be British Citizen.
This island of ours has already gone far to British than Jersey way of life.
If Reform do not lookout they will not get re-elected.

Thankfully, Tadier's proposal was lost today but watch both TV News bulletins tonight to see if he gets what he really wants - the publicity. He was given airtime by Clare Burton (formerly of the govt. and Reform-supporting BBC) on last night's ITV bulletin and Ryan at the BBC will be doing all he can to get him on Auntie tonight.

Any responsible person would now respect the will of the House and drop the subject but instead the matter will have to be re-debated all over again on 20th February because he insists that the House votes again on his failed proposition of 12 months ago to drop the British nationality requirement on Senators and Deputies. [Memo to Clare Burton: do another camera interview with 'Monty' about British nationality on 20th Feb.]

Straight after the States breaks up and he completes his media interviews for the day, this St Clement resident will then head to the Town Hall for 7pm to try to get one of his Reform patsies elected onto the St Helier Roads Committee - such a busy life, eh?

Online boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:10:15 PM »
While Jerry I - do not agree - with everything the rather left wing Reform Jersey spout, I feel if you live in the island, are a qualified resident you have every right to stand for election. Reform Jersey also try and hold to account the executive, ie the Council of Ministers. Certainly there are many deputies and Constables who do not. I think you are correct about the waste of space Mike Jackson and Steve what's his name the present waste of space Constable. It was a set up and hope a new,decent and credible candidate stands in St Brelades. I like Tadier but again do not agree with all his policies which as I am not his clone, is understandable. My view is based on many things including, research, motions presented, attendance, thought and whether the politician has a brown nose like Paul Routier for example.

You keep knocking reform, actually so have I on certain issues, but in different places but let us know who you think deserves re-election to the states come May. Who actually is worth voting for that actually does work for the people and not swanning all over the planet staying in five star hotels ?

BB.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:15:56 AM by boatyboy »