Author Topic: Heated Debate...  (Read 5622 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
Heated Debate...
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:33:30 AM »
A number of users are starting to post 1 liners specifically aimed at one particular user as their opposition in a heated discussion. Please note that there is a personal message button on the next below the name of your antagonist that you should use instead of posting an argument in the forum.

This detracts from real debate and lessens the ability of the forum to be open to both sides. Those that are posting many posts per night in retaliation to specific posts should use this function once they have disagreed once on the forum, there is no point in continuing a discussion that receives no new valid input and I believe it would be appreciated by other forum users.  No names. yet.

Cousinbenson

Re: Heated Debate...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
I fully agree with Admin on this, a forum is to debate and discuss not to personally argue with others.

Mod-1

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »
I just want to remind people about heated debate.  There is no call for sarcasm and one liner attacks on people.

We know some subjects are more excitable than others, but please keep the debate formal.

Thanks 

Mod-1

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »
Another reminder on heated debate.  We know as the elections get closer that some people will have their supporters and some won't.

But please do not go down the line of personal attack away from policy.  This will only result in suspension.

Thanks.

mod5

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »
It seems that we have reached a little nadir (an extreme state of adversity; the lowest point of anything) with personal insults and repetition of the same points being played out on a daily (and nightly) basis. This does not serve the best interests of the forum, or facilitate informed political debate. I have been contacted by many posters in recent weeks from both sides of the camp who are finding it increasingly more difficult to make valuable contributions because they are put off by the animosity contained within certain threads. You are all intelligent and informed people and there is no need to slide into this form of retaliatory discourse. So re-read this thread from the start, re-familiarise yourself with the basic principles of the forum and elevate your political and cultural arguments above current levels.

This is not just your forum, it is for all the people of Jersey who have an active interest in the way our politicians goven.  Use it properly and it can be a very powerful tool but if treated badly if will always struggle to be the catalyst for change that many hope it can be.