Author Topic: Brain of Britain  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Durendal

Brain of Britain
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
So sharp he should be Brain of Britain or should that be Brian of Britain!!!

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/01/21/recession-only-a-matter-of-time/

;D ;D ;D

Offline stoofa

Re: Brain of Britain
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Nothing like being ahead of the game is there.

The plus side is that we are better off than most places (at least in the short to medium term) to be honest. That bit of rhetoric has always been vaguely accurate at least.

Offline JungleDirector

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:42:44 PM »
There were warning signs of a global turn down in the Autumn of 2006.  Jersey has still not done too badly thanks to the finance industry.  New business is still coming in and existing clients are still paying their fees.

Perhaps the critics of the finance industry will now realise that Jersey relies upon it big time.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:52:28 PM »
If it collapsed big  time tomorrow morning jersey would survive. Just like when the big player leaves your footy team you survive..

You get on with it we would have too

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline JungleDirector

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
If finance collapsed tomorrow, the whole economy would be shattered and EVERYBODY would be in a mess from the banker to your man that cleans the toilets because money would no longer be circulating through the economy and we have no alternate avenue for revenue.

This is where we disagree.  Time 4 Changes Deputy Tadier is a supporter of ATTAC and this is an organisation that wants Jersey finance to go.

He has a lot to learn that boy.

Offline danrok

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:01 PM »
Perhaps the critics of the finance industry will now realise that Jersey relies upon it big time.

This is just your opinion, and relates to just one reality.

There are other islands all over the world which have no finance industry, yet people are living there happily.

Jersey does not rely upon it big time, it only relies on it to maintain the status quo.  Things would be different without it, and different does not mean worse.

Offline JungleDirector

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:56 PM »
It supplies over half our tax revenue end of.

Offline danrok

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »
"End of" = short sighted.

Offline JungleDirector

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »
I cannot argue tonight, I am just on my way out.  But it maybe worth listing the alternates to the finance industry.  Yes I agree that its income has proabably been too good over the years and has created massive inflation and the building trade to go into over-drive hence the high cost of housing etc.

But what alternates are there in Jersey?  Agriculture and horticulture are driven down by European competition.  Tourism has been driven down by basically cheaper and warmer places to go.  We have no diamond mines, there is no gold in St Peter's Valley etc etc.

What else could Jersey provide to bring money in?  I will leave it with you.

Offline newmac

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
If finance collapsed tomorrow, the whole economy would be shattered and EVERYBODY would be in a mess from the banker to your man that cleans the toilets because money would no longer be circulating through the economy and we have no alternate avenue for revenue.

This is where we disagree.  Time 4 Changes Deputy Tadier is a supporter of ATTAC and this is an organisation that wants Jersey finance to go.

He has a lot to learn that boy.

Here we go again Finance this Attac that, It gets boring after a while ::)

Quick question for you Define the finance industry and which part of it do you work in?

Offline danrok

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 07:43:27 PM »
I cannot argue tonight, I am just on my way out.  But it maybe worth listing the alternates to the finance industry.  Yes I agree that its income has proabably been too good over the years and has created massive inflation and the building trade to go into over-drive hence the high cost of housing etc.

But what alternates are there in Jersey?  Agriculture and horticulture are driven down by European competition.  Tourism has been driven down by basically cheaper and warmer places to go.  We have no diamond mines, there is no gold in St Peter's Valley etc etc.

I think your forgetting that there is a global banking problem, and that most likely all jobs in Jersey finance would no longer exist, had they not been bailed out.

We need to be thankful to the UK & US taxpayers, not financial companies, they are the ones who have been saddled with the banks' debts.

Finance does not provide food and shelter, it simply shunts money from one place to another.  You can't eat that.

Finance is totally dependent on industry, and every type of business which provides tangible goods and services.  Not the other way round!

ole razzy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »

Creative Industries, Grad and Post Grad Education, E-commerce, Fulfillment, Software Design.

There's never been much D in EDC.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 04:08:29 AM »
The rumour is that jobs will be going at RBC after the Mourant Trust takeover.

With regard to finance being safe the complacency of certain posters astounds me as we wll see cuts of 10% across the board as further faults are found in the financial system and as much wealth is found to be built on foundations of sand.

Fund managers are particularly vunerable at present.

Offline JungleDirector

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 09:04:53 AM »
Here we go again Finance this Attac that, It gets boring after a while ::)

Quick question for you Define the finance industry and which part of it do you work in?

Boring?  Yes just like hearing about Harper & Co day in day out.

Define the finance industry?  Give me a break. If you don't understand it don't comment about it.

Offline newmac

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »
Boring?  Yes just like hearing about Harper & Co day in day out.

Define the finance industry?  Give me a break. If you don't understand it don't comment about it.

I'm asking a reasonable question, but yet again you are unwilling to answer, suprise surprise.

OK let's make it easier what sector of the industry do you work in?