Author Topic: So TLS is the new Chief Minister  (Read 15662 times)

cyrillem

Re: So TLS is the new Chief Minister
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »
So because you are ANTI-establishment - you therefore dissmiss the 12,000+ who voted for TLS......

Billy

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
JTM...sorry Cyrillem works in finance so what do you think?? ;D

TLS got voted in so we are stuck with him for now.

That statement should say it all about what I think.

cyrillem

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »
I like the establishments conservatism but there are issues which need addressing - like the secrecy, and no I don't work in the Finance industry. And that isn't really an educated guess seeing as upwards of 70% of Jersey work there...

Offline moot

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »
I like the establishments conservatism but there are issues which need addressing - like the secrecy, and no I don't work in the Finance industry. And that isn't really an educated guess seeing as upwards of 70% of Jersey work there...

The present establishment is far too cosy and detached from the real people in Jersey. People like McClean and Ozouf are far too comfortable to be able to make decisions which will effect most ordinary people on the island. This applies especially to the coming years when things will get real tough
These people need a kicks up their backside often and it helps when people here on PJ keep them on their toes and apply constructive criticism, preferably with humour as we all are going to need a laugh in the near future.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
The present establishment is far too cosy and detached from the real people in Jersey. People like McClean and Ozouf are far too comfortable to be able to make decisions which will effect most ordinary people on the island. This applies especially to the coming years when things will get real tough
These people need a kicks up their backside often and it helps when people here on PJ keep them on their toes and apply constructive criticism, preferably with humour as we all are going to need a laugh in the near future.

We need the middle ground for us to be represented in a better way. It was good that there was a  choice for CM, but having read Hansard, I am afraid that I would have had to vote for TLS. I had hoped either Simon or RLH would have put their name forward, but that is history. Scruitiny should be stronger now and I think there is a genuine will to work with them going forward. If not in 12 months we could see a vote of no confidence.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
So because you are ANTI-establishment - you therefore dissmiss the 12,000+ who voted for TLS......
Don't get too dizzy with all your SPIN. TLS had 9,976 in 2005 whilst AB had 10,273 in 2008. GIVING an extra 2,000 votes is something we would expect from "others" and as you don't work in finance, you should now better than to work on the figures!

fryertucker

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
TLS was always the favorite to get the job.  I think people have to accept that he now has the job and I don't like the idea as much as other people.

But when it came to experience and stability, like the Senators elections, the voters swayed away from the 'unknown' and went for the 'devil they knew' if you like.

If this went to an Island wide vote I still believe TLS would have got in.  I am of the opinion that the people who actually hate him being CM are not representive of the majority of Islanders and the voter turn out showed that.

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »
Tetras.

I have to disagree with you. I firmly believe if TLS was to face the electorate, he would have got voted in. The poor and working class predominantly don't vote, it is almost exclusively the priviliged who vote. Unless "the peasants" are mobilised people like Terry (GST28) Le Sueur, Phillip (GST28) Ozouf and Alan (GST28) Maclean are always going to be ruling us, the senatorial elections showed us that.

I don't so much blame the candidate any more, it is the people who are on the electoral roll that don't get off their arse and use their vote. Not only the people who don't vote but the complete ignorance of those that do (not all). I have been to hustings where somebody uses their question to ask what fu--en football team the candidates support!!, vote for a candidate because of the colour tie they are wearing, vote for them because they go to church and have absolutely no clue about how any of the candidates have voted in the States, no clue how many propositions or amendments the candidate have taken to the States.

For this I blame our (IMO) local media, they do everything they can to keep us ignorant of what's happening in our States and spinning a load of old sh1te instead of informing us in an impartial way.

As things stand I strongly believe if TLS and Stuart Syvret were to go to the public polls for cheif minister TLS would get in on a landslide!! That's how desperate things are.

It's not so much the quality of the candidate as the quantity of the voter.
An alternative to Jersey's State Media

fryertucker

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
His PR skills have over the past 18 months been appalling though:

Did he not come out with quotes similar to the following:

- "If you cannot afford to buy a house here you may have to leave"; and "it doesn't matter if 100,000 sign an anti-GST petition I want it in anyway".

Comments along these lines from 'ANY' politicion can only create resentment and anger.  Couple these comments with his age, maybe I would need to think again as to whether he would have got in if the Island had got a say in who is to be CM????

Offline moot

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »
His PR skills have over the past 18 months been appalling though:
Did he not come out with quotes similar to the following:
- "If you cannot afford to buy a house here you may have to leave"; and "it doesn't matter if 100,000 sign an anti-GST petition I want it in anyway".
Comments along these lines from 'ANY' politicion can only create resentment and anger.  Couple these comments with his age, maybe I would need to think again as to whether he would have got in if the Island had got a say in who is to be CM????

And how about : It would be immoral to take more tax of the 11K Residents" ?

Online Fritz

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
I think he actually meant , "Impossible". LOL.

fryertucker

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »
It would be impossible because they are nailed to legal contract with the tax man.  If they managed to over turn these 'special contracts' 1.1.k's could just pack their bags and leave.  Plenty of other offsore places would take them and if anything they are now cheaper and warmer than Jersey.

Online Fritz

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »
I wouldn,t miss them. And they would free up lots of land to house normal tax-payers.

Offline moot

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 07:30:51 PM »
It would be impossible because they are nailed to legal contract with the tax man.  If they managed to over turn these 'special contracts' 1.1.k's could just pack their bags and leave.  Plenty of other offsore places would take them and if anything they are now cheaper and warmer than Jersey.
JEP 12-09-08
FORCING 1(1)K residents to pay more tax would be immoral, according to the Treasury Minister.
In an e-mail to all States Members, Senator Terry Le Sueur released figures of the amount of tax paid by some of the wealthiest people in Jersey after facing criticism of the system in the States this week. There are currently 149 high-net-worth immigrants in the Island but despite there being more of them now than in 2004, they are paying less tax overall.
Senator Le Sueur said that 1(1)K residents paid £8 million tax in 2006 compared to £10.7 million in 2004 but warned that to change the conditions of their residencies would place the States on ‘dangerous ground, legally as well as morally’ if they tried to ‘unpick’ arrangements.
But Deputy Geoff Southern, who raised the issue in the States, said at the time that he was shocked by the figures and accused 1(1)K residents of ‘not paying their way’.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could understand him using the term "impossible and legally" but there is no way it is immoral. These are very murky waters and these people seem to be able to do what they want in the island. What about the guy who lives on the edge of St Brelade's bay and had walls built and all sorts, Loads of rubbish was dumped into the sea. A bit of noise in the media and then nothing. He got away with it
Money talks too much here. Terry Le Main has said the 11k'S are going through a rigorous vetting procedure and" we only take the best " That truly is a great laugh
They simply are not paying their way. I heard of a 11K who lives part of the year in Spain and part in Jersey. He rents out several properties here and wants payments in cash only. Why would he need to do this when his tax was set in a legal agreement
The 11k story stinks and the government is afraid to tackle the issue.
We pay more - They should pay more. Simple !

fryertucker

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:14 PM »
It is just another stupid statement to the media.  I wonder how many more media gaffs we will get in 2009.  I don't blame anybody for getting angry.

He could have simply said to the media, it may be difficult because 1.1.k's and the tax man are bound by legal contract.

I was listening to the phone-in this lunchtime and somebody was rightly pointing out the States of Jersey pay-roll of £100's of millions.  This is where all our GST is going.  Also pointed out 8 levels of management at the hospital.

I only hope the new treasurer starts looking at these over paid civil servants when he attempts to deliver his pledge at cutting states spending.  Which Ozouf said last week.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:39:56 PM by fryertucker »