Author Topic: Rumour is Murray Norton to Stand  (Read 7189 times)

Offline en830

Rumour is Murray Norton to Stand
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »
There's a rumour going around that Murray Norton maybe considering standing for deputy in St Aubin later this year. This would pitch him against current Deputy Angela Jeune, Margret Holland Prior and possibly Mr Allotment :- Jeff Hathaway

He would certainly get the popular vote, and looking at the other candidates, should in theory walk it. But would he be a good choice ????
You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Offline man in the street

Re: Rumour is Murray Norton to Stand
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
shame we do not have have the no vote.
 in my eye this d list celeb,  will only follow  the establishment.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
Don't rate him much as a DJ, but he has got a successful cafe in St Aubin so a good business man, which is what counts.

Offline David Rotherham

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »
Ex-broadcasters always do well in elections, just because people feel that they know them.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »
Well he does have an interest in the parking problem in St.Aubin. Maybe he just wants to make sure he can do something about it or at least be in the know of what may be going to happen in that area. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say if he stands.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »
 trouble is  they  promice  the  earth and  deliver very little , you have to get the others on your side to get anywhere.
 let look at  our celebs  of the past , lazell,  did what??
 de faye , cost us taxpayers dear.
 i would like to see , employment for all, and 50/50 homes some cheap some for the high end  of the market.
 and vote  for the good of the island in general  be you rich or poor .
 of cource  i can offer nothing , as the others refuse to listen .
 and  i used to think the constables in the states was a good old jersey thing , but now a days  have swung the other way to a resounding no.
 they are voted in by a handfull of people , and now end up in charge of multi million pound things .   

Offline dreamboat

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
Murray - one foot in the other foot out.  Thankfully not standing.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: [Rumour is] Murray Norton to Stand
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:48:31 AM »
It turns out that the rumour was correct  :( - he just delayed the decision by 3 years:

http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2014/08/press-release-from-murray-norton.html

Altogether now - one, two, three....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45L4bAyHHQE

Won't we all be so honoured to have such a hugely-respected  ::) local employer sitting in the legislature and picking up £50k+ for doing so?

http://www.jerseylaw.je/Judgments/JET/Documents/Display.aspx?url=2014/2014-04-03-Brailescu-158-2013.htm

In particular, read paragraph 21 of the judgment above:

21.  The Tribunal recognises that the parties have the freedom to contract with each other as they think fit and that staff leaving without provision of due notice causes inconvenience to an employer. However in this case the period of notice was in excess of the minimum guide lines prescribed by Article 56(2) of the Law and required a junior chef, who had only worked for an employer for 17 weeks, to provide a payment equal to 4 weeks’ pay by way of notice. The Respondent would have been aware that it was possible to find a replacement chef in less than 4 weeks and it was apparent from the evidence that the Applicant was indeed replaced within 24 hours, even at peak season, and at minimal additional cost. The Tribunal finds that the notice clause in the Contract of Employment was not a genuine pre-estimate of loss by the Respondent and was simply oppressive.  :o  For these reasons the Tribunal finds that the notice period clause in the Contract of Employment is a penalty clause and therefore unenforceable. Accordingly the Tribunal makes no Award of damages for breach of contract to the Respondent.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:02:32 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 02:39:07 AM »
Maybe the TTS chaos in St Aubin has swayed his thinking.
Try to run a business in a turbulent unpredictable market. Or pick up a guaranteed package of £100k per year.
Only need a couple of hundred votes to get a ticket on the gravy train.

Decisions, Decisions.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »
Well I think Deputy Young is doing a very good job indeed. He will get my vote again.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 05:09:59 PM »
Maybe the TTS chaos in St Aubin has swayed his thinking.
Try to run a business in a turbulent unpredictable market. Or pick up a guaranteed package of £100k per year.
Only need a couple of hundred votes to get a ticket on the gravy train.

Decisions, Decisions.

200 Votes Why ?

This is exactly why people should vote as there are over 46,000 working adults on Jersey add to that number the retired and the teenagers that may not work but still have a vote and the figure rises considerably. Remember not so far back, when ex deputy and paid up establishment member, Ben Fox had a recount, and won by just one vote !

As sad as it may sound, I use my vote for three reasons. Firstly because it is a positive thing to do - in trying to make Jersey a better and fairer place by having good political leadership. Second because I would feel a hypocrite, jotting down my political opinions and thoughts ( for what they are worth ) if I did not bother.

Thirdly because it is the only time every few years, that you and I have real power to kick out the egotistical, wasters that care not a jot about the good people of Jersey and their quality of life ( hospital waiting times etc ) but far more about their own self interest agendas.
Are you really stupid enough to not realise,  that the dissatisfaction, the electoral unbalanced by parish voting system, the malaise and apathy are built in to a sick system, so people give up and don't bother to vote.

Come to think of it, that is another good reason to vote, don't let the bas****ds grind you down.

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:13:14 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »
Well Deputy Young is going to stand for Senator in October. I will be very sad to lose him as my Deputy.
A. Jeune will be standing again for the district No 1. So that means at the moment Murry and Jeune are the only oners to put their names forward to become my Deputy.
I do not want either of them! 
I hope Young gets in as a Senator because he is not an establishment member and fights for the local people.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 05:05:04 PM »
The new owner of Murrays Café at St. Aubin distances himself from the unpopular Government hatstand of a politician who formerly owned the establishment. This extract from a JEP article dated 27th October 2015:

Custodio Gomes, joint owner of Anatole Enterprise Ltd, said that the restaurant’s Facebook page had received numerous comments from customers who thought the Deputy was still running the business.

Some have vowed not to visit the café again because of their feelings towards the politician, and others called for the business to change its name after the new owners told them the Deputy was not connected to the company.

Mr Gomes said: ‘I have been trying to tell them that we took over and we left the name the same but I don’t think the message has got across. Murray’s has got nothing to do with Murray Norton.

‘The comments people have posted are really horrible and they said, “We are not coming back because you are taking from the elderly”.

'We need to raise awareness that he is no longer the owner.’

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2015/10/27/dont-blame-us-for-deputys-politics-say-murrays-owners/

I didn't know he'd sold it either. It is good that the new owners have clarified this because Norton hardly had the shiniest reputation when it came to the retention of his employees and that might have been another factor inhibiting some people from going there. Good luck to Mr. Gomes with his new business.

Now anybody interested in buying a business off Peter Mac?  :D

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »
Well o surprise therev with people thinking it was still Murray. Just goes to show what the people think of murray. He will not get in next time because he has shown his true colours and gone back on everything he said when he stood on the election platform.
Total waste of space unless you are up gorst and co ass.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 01:49:58 AM »
He is exactly the type of person that our elected leaders encourage - a money grabbing selfish self made man with no integrity and with as much depth of a puddle of pee.  Nothing personal but the guy is a toad.