Author Topic: Back to work success?  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Fritz

Back to work success?
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:09:59 AM »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Back to work success?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:17:40 AM »
Thanks for bringing this Daily Mirror report to my attention, Fritz. Yes, unfortunately the same anti-benefit claimant atmosphere has infected staff at Jersey's Social Security Department. Any jobseeker who dares to stand up to them is brutally dealt with. I am intending to use the new F.O.I. Law as a weapon against them- in the coming weeks and months I will be asking questions that even Southern & Co are too shy to ask the Minister in the States. I fully expect them to use all means to stop me getting the information I want. I also expect Emma Martins to back them up if I have to go as far as appealing. She and her pathetic patsy, Paul Vane, have always covered for them in matters relating to serious breaches of data protection so I see no reason why she won't do the same when it comes to F.O.I. appeals. I have already lodged my first request and I know the SS top brass will have spent a lot of time this week (at the taxpayer's expense) trying to invent the best excuse for turning down my request.

On a separate matter, can I just express my total solidarity with the slain journalists of Charlie Hebdo. An estimated 35,000 people are on the streets of Paris tonight, many of them displaying the following message, which I hereby repeat:

Je suis Charlie

Offline man in the street

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:38:06 PM »
 here's  a question  for  the social  security department .
  why does  a  woman  who was  on a red card with her first husband  and of pensionable age (  the  woman )
 have to prove  that her first husband  who  went to Australia.
  is dead to claim his  part of the pension  that she would  have if he was in jersey and they were still married.
 or is the  social  telling porkies  again?
   we know  where husband  number two is  and he is alive , so as  she is now married to me ,  has being short changed  by  social .  your  input  would be welcome   jerry.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:09:57 AM »
Whats most worrying with the SS,is that they import senior managers etc from the UK,(As do most States departments), on mega-bucks salaries. They are then allowed to implement UK,(Brussels), rules and standards on everything with no regard whatsoever for the ,"Local", situation.
Jersey has simply become a little town in the south of England, and all government departments simply comply with whatever rules are passed down.
Jersey,(Imported and highly paid), civil servants just do as they are told from above and our Amateur politicians just nod and agree for fear of looking a bit ,"Backward".
 Thank feck I,m getting old and wont have to worry about it for too long.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
here's  a question  for  the social  security department .
  why does  a  woman  who was  on a red card with her first husband  and of pensionable age (  the  woman )
 have to prove  that her first husband  who  went to Australia.
  is dead to claim his  part of the pension  that she would  have if he was in jersey and they were still married.
 or is the  social  telling porkies  again?
   we know  where husband  number two is  and he is alive , so as  she is now married to me ,  has being short changed  by  social .  your  input  would be welcome   jerry.

It's not easy to attempt a reliable answer with this level of information, man in the street. However, I should point out that your query concerns pension entitlement which is completely separate from income support entitlement. Unlike the income support side, pensions staff do not possess the wide-ranging and secret discretionary powers to kick people off benefits if they choose to. In effect, the pensions side is the law-abiding side of the Department whereas the income support side is the reverse. In effect, they are two different departments and claimants are treated completely differently. It is only a matter of time, IMHO, before this split is formalised and you will have one department to visit for contributory benefits, where you will generally be treated quickly, politely and lawfully, and another for means-tested benefits where, as now, you will be given the worst treatment possible and made to queue up for hours (already happening).

I therefore make the initial assumption that staff had some justification for what they did. There is too much I don't know here. Did your wife divorce her first husband or did he die while they were still legally married and if so, did she claim survivor's benefit before she reached pensionable age? Is she actually receiving a pension now? Did she marry you before or after starting to receive a pension? This is all very complex but I am presuming that the pensions staff acted correctly at this stage because they would have been in possession of all of the facts, which I'm not.

Message to the website administrator: I'm sure I'm not the only person to notice how difficult it is to compose messages since the changes. I only get to view what I have written in its correct context once I press 'preview'. The alignment needs to be adjusted inwards, or something like that!

Online boatyboy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:28:16 AM »

Hi Jerry, I use a macbookair and since the update last week have experienced no diffence at all. being a poor speller if its going to be a little long I normally use word and then spellcheck when finished cut and paste it up. I get rid of cookies and cache everyother day. It might be an idea if you try that, if you have not done so.

Is anyone else having problems ?

BB

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
thanks jerry.
 i  my get the wife  to pm  you if you dont  mind.
 on another note .
  there is  a income  support calculator  online somewhere .
  that when  used at  home ,  by a mate of mine  , bears  no relevance   to the   bit of  paper   with  rates on   passed to  you  by the person  behind  the desk ,  and was told  the online  version  is wrong .
 the online  version  is  the higher amount.
  the  guy  works   has  two  kids  and is  trying   to  live like  the  rest of us ,  but its  a total  struggle now  to get  ahead .
  as  wages  are   flat   and  falling  as prices  rise .

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 04:30:21 AM »
I can't even find this income support calculator to begin with. It didn't show up on a quick Google search anyway. Deputy Southern has been pushing them to introduce this for at least four years, probably a lot longer, going back to the time when Gorst was Social Security Minister. In 2011, Gorst rejected the idea to have one available online on the basis that it would be:

... a complicated and expensive task which would need to be justified in light of its target audience of about 10,000 adult Income Support claimants.

http://www.gov.je/Government/PlanningPerformance/Pages/MinisterialDecisions.aspx?showreport=yes&docid=a8b8e00da7b0a946af4c988538a06acb_MDs2013

Then Le Gresley became Social Security Minister and Southern kept asking questions about it. On 24th September 2013, Southern was told in the States:

Good progress has been made on creating a web-based Income Support calculator. The
Department is working closely with the gov.je website team and an external supplier to produce a
calculator that will be accessible on a variety of different digital devices. A technical upgrade is
currently in progress on the gov.je website and it is anticipated that the calculator will be
available shortly after the upgrade has been successfully launched.

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/AssemblyQuestions/2013/Deputy%20Southern%20to%20SS%20re%20Publication%20of%20a%20claimant%20friendly%20version%20of%20Income%20support%20calculator.pdf

Sixteen months later and have they done this upgrade yet and can anybody tell me where this calculator is?  >:(

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:35:10 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 12:37:03 AM »
Its probably down the side of the sofa cushion. ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:51 AM »
 i will ask  my mate where he found  the calculator.
  it  may of being  removed  after the  chat over  the desk in social  regarding  the help he requires.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 04:49:05 AM »
i found  the calculator for income support.
i used income support calculator. gov .je,  then looked  on a  right hand side tool  bar .
  which  said  income support  calculator .
 there is  a questionnaire .
 at the end  ,  it gives you a figure . of what you should get.