Author Topic: GST on online purchases!  (Read 851 times)

Offline Fritz

GST on online purchases!
« on: July 01, 2014, 03:38:54 AM »
So Ozouf wants to put GST on online purchases to help the retail sector!
He can piss right off.
This is the same retail sector that has made millions by ripping off Islanders for decades.
They held us to ransom because we were on an Island and had to buy from them.
The tide has turned.
Who actually believes we need a ,"High ST", apart from retailers themselves?
What we need is a big,proper, competetive shopping centre with adequate free parking.
"Simples".

Offline ageofaquarius

Re: GST on online purchases!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
Roll on Tesco's - although its bound to be more expensive that the UK. 

I like the idea of a Sunday street market trading that was in yesterday's jep - £20 a stall, would give small businesses the opportunity to sell their wares without the added expensive of opening the shop and pay staff.  Jersey could do with a decent farmers market - would make a change from car-booting on a Sunday.

GST on shopping the greedy gits won't stop me buying online, even with GST its still way cheaper on Amazon and a wider choice.  Recently bought a pair of rather fetching trews that would have cost £40 locally, I paid £20 delivered to the door.  Same with shoes, the choice over here is very average.

Not very imaginative of our leaders to say 'we're going to tax you more if you don't buy local' - what about doing something about the high rents in town shops - no wonder they have to charge so much just to pay the rent - mind you, they pay very little tax - the only shops that seem to be raking it in are coffee houses. 

Offline nlel

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Wasn't the reason why GST is not taken for items under £ 240 is because it would cost more to administrate every online purchase then to not?

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:28 PM »
Wasn't the reason why GST is not taken for items under £ 240 is because it would cost more to administrate every online purchase then to not?

I believe so.

Offline Little Bob

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:16 AM »
When GST was first introduced, there was a proposition to bring it in at 1.5% instead of the 3% planned.

The proposal was rejected because the treasury minister stated that not enough money would be raised by the tax to cover the costs of collecting it.

To collect it on all postal items would be so prohibitively expensive, GST would have to be massively increased along with other taxes just to cover the additional people, offices, warehousing, managers and directors to controll it.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:26:43 AM »
Call it GST,VAT or whatever you want.

Bottom line is we have a spend and tax government.
We have a lazy Civil Service, (Paid for by folk who actually work and produce something by the end of every working day).
Just look at all States Departments. There are about three to seven levels of management for every person actually working!!
Its the whole, "One guy digging a hole, whilst four supervisors/managers/safety supervisors/accountants etc all draw a far bigger salary than the guy digging the hole".
It gets worse. If it rains, the guy cant dig the hole and is sent home with no pay for the non-productive day. The,"Salaried staff", have to retreat to the office and drink coffee, twiddle there thumbs or chat to each other via FB etc to cover their 9-5 contract agreement.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
Tell you have bad the states have got. The beacon on the rocks by St.Brelade's Pier has been broken since the end of last year. When there was a Harbour Works Department that beacon would have been repaired within a month. Since TTS has taken over the Harbours Engineering they do not have the experts in their bosses to over see the work that was taken over by them. Most of the workers have now left that had all the skilled so now they look for outside firms to do the jobs but even they have not had that experience of working on buoy and beacons.
So even more money going out on something that was once done much cheaper and with the skills.
Who then is making the money I would like to know. Any ministers on any boards of these firms taking over states jobs?

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
  a good few years ago , what was millar and baird from guernsey .
 built a similar becon  on rocks by noirmont(  forgotten  the name of  the rock)
 i still have the photos  as i langed the  crew  and gear  on the rock  working  from a private local vessel.
  all paying local taxes  ect.
  from this experiance , it is noted  you need can do  workers  and quick workers as  working time can be short  before  its submerged again .
 the job at  st brelades   looks a  easy one .
 health and safety is also a stumbling block .
 any way  the gst  on online goods  is another shot in the foot for us   worker with little in our pockets these days.
  the world has changed , online is the way to go..
  i walked to town this morning  to get some food for  to night.
 and looked at the ten minute pick up point  outside the market, and decided that  that  free parking in town  for a hour  may get a few into town .
 also there is the factor that , if the goverment  up the tax on private imports , then we can choose not to spend at all .
 if its not  broke , why fix it.