Author Topic: Ozouf's jolly to the UAE  (Read 4088 times)

Offline danrok

Ozouf's jolly to the UAE
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »
Senator Ozouf said: " Boosting Jersey business and creating jobs is the key priority of the Council of Ministers and joint efforts to forge diplomatic and commercial relationships that support growth are our focus this year.

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/displayarticle.asp?id=499173

So, prepare yourselves for his boost to business and jobs, when he returns.

Let's wait and see what really happens...

Offline GeeGee

Re: Ozouf's jolly to the UAE
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
As per usual a load of bull poo from our esteemed Treasury Minister.

No doubt we are paying for this jolly. Shame it is not a one way ticket.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:32 AM »
I am guessing this boost is aimed towards the finance sector only. I can't think of any other sector that will benefit, certainly not the online gambling sector that we have already missed out on when it is Dubai he is visiting. I cant imagine him going to a mainly Muslim place and saying we are hoping to get into the gambling online industry that I missed out on ten years ago.

I get the impression he sees himself as the main man when it comes to our finance industry and that he has to prove no matter the cost that he is right when in fact it is slowly (or fastly) being shown that his all the eggs in one basket approach is flawed beyond any quick remedy that he may hope for.

The sad thing to me is that he is not some old fogey that you might forgive for being stuck in their ways but he is young enough that he should have the foresight to acknowledge that the future should be a more diverse economy. He is so infatuated with finance that his infatuation is now causing job seekers to have no recourse for a chance in another industry after they have lost their jobs in finance.

A blinkered old fool or a young fogey? Whatever is the case the man is constantly clutching at straws to uphold his over inflated ego and his infatuation with the finance industry.

I actually think he sees himself as the bank manager of Jersey and that all his clients, us, should take him out to lunch show him off as our personal bank manager and then pick up the tab as a measure of how grateful we are to him.

Offline shortport

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:06:24 AM »
I don't think sending a homosexual to an Arab country is a particularly good move.They probably wonder what on earth this strange little man is doing there

Offline danrok

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:23:36 AM »
The UAE Federal Penal Code, Article 354 states “whoever commits rape on a female or sodomy with a male shall be punishable by death”.

ole razzy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »
I don't think sending a homosexual to an Arab country is a particularly good move.They probably wonder what on earth this strange little man is doing there

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:10:25 PM by ole razzy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
Well what i have heard about the Arab race is that practice homosexuality. So that may explain the reason of him going there.

ole razzy

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »
Well what i have heard about the Arab race is that practice homosexuality. So that may explain the reason of him going there.

:o LOL!!!!!

Lovin a bit of the old chevvy on a friday evening.

Ding don(g).

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:37:28 AM »

Have you never heard the old Arab saying."A woman for duty, a boy for pleasure"?
This planned jolly suggests Ozouf has.

Offline moot

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »
I wonder if they will mistake him for a Jersey cow and milk for all he's worth ?

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
I can't believe that any of the above posters believe it is acceptable or funny or anything in this day and age to even remark on someone's sexual preferences, whatever they might be. The crassness of it is not even worth pointing out in detail and it's probably a breach of the forum's rules on personal comments.

In addition, the reference to Arabs is just plain racist.

Offline danrok

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:57:57 AM »
Everyone has their own ideas on what is funny.  What may be unacceptable to you, will be perfectly acceptable to others.

Perhaps, you would prefer to live in a world where everyone keeps their mouths shut, in case they offend you?

As Stephen Fry put it "You're offended, so ******* what?".

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 01:40:30 AM »
Everyone has their own ideas on what is funny.  What may be unacceptable to you, will be perfectly acceptable to others.

Perhaps, you would prefer to live in a world where everyone keeps their mouths shut, in case they offend you?

As Stephen Fry put it "You're offended, so ******* what?".

Of course, but as a result of social change and the gradual advance of more humane and kinder attitudes, certain attitudes and forms of speech become publicly unacceptable, which is a good thing.

It is no longer funny, for example, to make the kind of racist jokes that used to be on mainstream TV comedy only 30 years ago, and if you did you would probably never work again. It's the same for sexist and homophobic humour - it has just gone beyond the pale and most people just wince when they hear it.

Regardless of the fact that extreme forms of racial and homophobic abuse are just plain illegal - a few people on Twitter have just been jailed for making racist comments against Stan Colleymore and Fabrice Muamba.

As Stephen Fry has also said, on Twitter: Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

"@uglytruth33 I'm offended by all kinds of things. Mostly stupidity. Being offended isn't a moral position it's a whine."

I actually like offensive humour, when it is funny and when it is not bullying easy targets who happen to have been on the receiving end of lots of other kinds of bullying for decades or centuries. I like Frankie Boyle, I like Stuart Lee, Franka Zappa, Lenny Bruce. But they're not stupid.

Offline shortport

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:27 AM »
As far as i am aware homophobia is not illegal,nor is any other form of phobia.What most posters are pointing out is not racist at all,it is merely pointing out a fact that many Arab countries have very strict laws against homosexuals.By your reasoning maybe we should not be doing business with these countries at all because of their anti homosexual laws.

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 02:29:28 AM »
As far as i am aware homophobia is not illegal,nor is any other form of phobia.What most posters are pointing out is not racist at all,it is merely pointing out a fact that many Arab countries have very strict laws against homosexuals.By your reasoning maybe we should not be doing business with these countries at all because of their anti homosexual laws.

Depends on whether it is threatening or not. If it is, it comes under the definition of 'hate speech' under UK law - I don't know about Jersey.

"Hate speech laws in the United Kingdom are found in several statutes. Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation is forbidden.Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

But that is not the really the point:

"Well what i have heard about the Arab race is that practice homosexuality. So that may explain the reason of him going there."

That is an insult based on the person's sexuality.

Personally, I wouldn't do business in UAE or Saudi Arabia, or Bahrain, and similar places, because of their laws and records on human rights. I'm not sure the Jersey government should be schmoozing them either, but that is another argument.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:04:35 AM by Rob Kent »