Author Topic: Taxpayer could lose £8m over Lime Grove fiasco  (Read 13924 times)

Offline danrok

Re: Taxpayer could lose £8m over Lime Grove fiasco
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 03:38:31 AM »
It seems odd to me, that Ozouf would be getting right in to the centre of such a deal.  He is not a CEO!

I can't imagine that the Chancellor of the Exchequer would be directly involved in a deal to buy/lease premises for the Met.

They should be employing professionals to take care of these things, assigning them a budget, and letting them get on with it.  Promptly sacking them if them mess it up, with no pension pot, or pay-off.

Offline Sarah Ferguson

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 04:11:03 AM »
I am not prepared to comment on the hearings so far but I can confirm that the Corporate Services Scrutiny sub panel is undertaking an objective review of the evidence regarding Lime Grove and will report as soon as possible.

We will follow normal practice and make a statement to the Assembly at that time.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 04:31:21 AM »
Will you be able to cast any light on why a company, any company, would suddenly decide to gazump the tax-payer at the 11th hour for a property that has lain empty for a decade?

"Insider dealing"?

Offline Dundee

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 04:39:51 AM »
What an utter waste of time and money this review will be, this is just a property transaction gone wrong, nothing more or less. Plenty of other places to site the police, and I have to say there are better ones that Green Street.

The reason the States did not get the property is that they decided to re negotiate and offered less than independent valuations and added extra stipulations, that it was taken up by someone is just good business by those in charge of the deal. The States never committed themselves to purchase the property, if they were so much in need of it then why did they not seal the deal?

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
"What an utter waste of time and money this review will be, this is just a property transaction gone wrong, nothing more or less. Plenty of other places to site the police, and I have to say there are better ones that Green Street."

And they are?

Please don't say the old JCFG site

rs

one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 05:02:38 AM »
Property director ‘was not sacked’, says civil service

David Flowers

THE head of the States property department was not sacked but has decided ‘to leave his role’, according to a statement from Chief Minister’s office on Thursday.

Jersey’s top civil servant has confirmed that Jersey Property Holdings director David Flowers has left his job and will return to the UK. His departure comes midway through the investigation into the failure to seal the Lime Grove deal for a new police station on Green Street roundabout. Calls to Mr Flowers at JPH on Wednesday were unsuccessful and the JEP was told that he was ‘no longer with the company’.

And a Scrutiny hearing on Friday morning, at which he was due to give evidence about Lime Grove, was yesterday cancelled, and then reinstated, without any explanation.

Full story in Thursday’s JEP

Article posted on 8th September, 2011 - 4.18pm

Read more: http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/09/08/property-director-was-not-sacked-says-civil-service/#ixzz1XOBhYDSk

David Flowers is giving evidence tomorrow. He could have just walked away. Will Senator Ozouf survive this fiasco?

rs

Offline Fritz

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 05:11:32 AM »
I usually laugh at these stories.
 My laugh has started to become full-on hilarity, as in  the ,"Manic laughter of a madman".

The laughter of a tax-payer who foots the bill.

It,s not a funny laugh.

Offline danrok

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 05:47:43 AM »
Plenty of other places to site the police, and I have to say there are better ones that Green Street.

I think Ozouf would have been pretty quick to name all these other sites, if they existed.  As far as I know, he hasn't named one location.

I suspect their secret grand plan was to move everyone from Cyril Le Marquand House to the proposed new office blocks on Esplanade car park.  Then, refurbish C Le M House for the police.

But, no chance of the happening for a long time.

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »

Minister defends department over Lime Grove deal

Lime Grove, on the Green Street roundabout
TREASURY Minister Philip Ozouf has again defended his department’s handling of the failed purchase of the Lime Grove building in a Scrutiny hearing.

Before the Corporate Services Scrutiny Panel yesterday afternoon, the minister said that the way that the Treasury department handled the deal – which collapsed at the last minute after a finance firm took  the Green Street roundabout building from under the States’ noses – was the right way to proceed.

A bid was made for the site in March 2010 to build a new police station, and a subsequent States offer was accepted and contract terms drawn up before State Street signed a long-term lease for the building.

Senator Ozouf said: ‘Let’s be clear. We were trying to get the lowest price. That is what we do with States’ money.

‘We have not cost millions, we have saved millions. We need to find a replacement for Lime Grove and we will do so.
‘And we will save further millions on the feasibility study.’

The Senator said that he was considering writing a letter of apology to the Subscriptions
The Jersey Evening Post provides daily in-depth coverage of life in the Island. Subscribe here or find out about home deliveries service here. View a demo and subscribe to our online edition here.

ShareThisArticle filed under: News

ole razzy

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »
Ere you go shag. The lad that stepped down is blaming Ozouf for the deal collapsing. Says he took a foolish gamble and lost. A FOOLISH GAMBLE! OZOUF! Not may laughs down club 72 tonight. Think I'll try Tanned Guys instead. Speaking of which has that Flowers fella had a spray on?

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=496009

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »
Things not looking good for the Treasury Minister at the moment.

rs

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 12:09:09 AM »
Senator Ozouf said: ‘Let’s be clear. We were trying to get the lowest price. That is what we do with States’ money.

Well thats good, god only knows what we would have paid Ogley and the other one as a golden handshake if it wasnt for trying to get the lowest price!

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 12:33:40 AM »
It must also be said that Mr Flowers is unable to talk to the Media as when he signed his contract it came with a gagging clause. This doesn't stop Senator Ozouf appearing on CTV tonight.

I believe the good Senator has also alleged that one of the valuers was taken for lunch and had a £17 lunch brought for them - now where have we that sort of thing before?

rs

ole razzy

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 01:08:03 AM »
But doesn't he always top the ministerial expenses list?  ;)

Offline danrok

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 02:50:53 AM »
And more here:
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/09/10/police-station-move-blame-the-minister/

Well, I think he has laid it out very clearly.

Ozouf's story, on the other hand, simply reads like a lake of obfuscation to me.