Author Topic: Deputy wants double decker buses back (despite drop in tourism).  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Chop Suey

• Threadster. Planet Jersey Promotional Group.
Deputy wants double decker buses back (despite drop in tourism).
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »
http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline%5Fjerseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=450448

Double-decker buses could make a return to Jersey's roads. They were last used locally 40 years ago.

The idea is being pushed by St Brelade Deputy Montfort Tadier. He says they'd ideal for the airport service to ease over-crowding.

Deputy Tadier is also suggesting keeping the bus terminal open longer at night; the intoduction of Oyster Card-style electronic ticketing and a free bus day.

Any thoughts about this bizaar proposal?  Does the recession together with a drop in tourism merit any consideration to this?

Offline Fritz

Re: Deputy wants double decker buses back (despite drop in tourism).
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »
Would double-deckers fit in the new depot?

Offline Chop Suey

• Threadster. Planet Jersey Promotional Group.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
I agree, and who is going to pay for these buses when Connex already gets millions from the tax payer?  This is why I placed this under stupid states ideas, but others may think differently?

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
Not a bad idea really, it will go well with our "two-tier" ministry!!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
We could reintroduce Bus conductors as well to provide chirpy repartee for the tourists.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »
And, "Conductresses", for the drivers to play with when they are skiving.

Then we could have inspectors to keep an eye on the drivers.(Five years residence required).

The kids could have rolls of bus tickets to play with, and extra street-cleaners to pick up the mess.

We could have, "Smokers upstairs signs".(made locally).

Job creation on the rock, Rocks.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:46:55 AM »
Sitting up stairs in the front going down St. Brelade's hill bloody scared i can tell you if a driver called Frank something forgot last name he was known for a very fast driver until a man throw himself under the bus wheels at La Haule and Frank was the driver never the same again. The man tried to drown himself the week before by filling his pockets with big stones and jumping off St. Aubin's Pier Head he was saved that time but being dragged under the wheels of a bus for about 20ft you do not survive.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »
long time since i was on a double decker, i  dont think they will fit under the front of the bus station , there is quite a bit of headroom out the back.
 what about the underpass will they fit under that?
 if we want tourists back , i would guess that we would need to cut prices off anything to do with tourism by 25%. 

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
Need a PM ? ;)
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
" This man is not for turning "

Ok 50p sparty im in can i be incharge of data protection  ;D ;D ;D

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

ole razzy

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »
Sparty old boy - I'd like you to nominate me for the role of Assistant Minister for Culture. If successfull you will be honored by name for the new national gallery, an institute of contemporary art, a swinging jazz club, a cinema of erotica, a world class dedicated live music venue for the top touring artistes, large scale public art initiatives and a 200ft golden statue of a naked Freddie Cohen on the waterfront with an automated 40ft erection made of emerald that goes up and down with the tide. This is my manifesto to you. (We can of course appoint our own developers to ensure the pockets of our cultural revolution are lined with ermine).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:04:53 PM by ole razzy »

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
Strange that you should say that , in fact my government in waiting proposes to give all states employees a 25% wage increase , with a similar uplifting of 25%to 28% on gst . This may cause some hardship amongst the little people but I am obviously just thinking in terms of votes. The Servile Serpents do vote and the little people do not.I therefore predict a landslide victory for my party at the next elections. Anyone wishing to join the Spartacus party may send me a cheque for as much as they consider a seat in the house is worth. I can make no promises but the gravy train will riding high and living it large!

I don't suppose there will be a job for an oh so humble cretin?
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline man in the street

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 02:54:02 AM »
sparty, i hope the gravy train will be derailled in 2010 and hope that the ordinary people, plus the disenchanted ,do turn out to vote.and razzy rekindles ,the odeon into, at least a temporary cinema of erotica,this will give new meaning to going to the flicks.
sadly cali you may not get a job, as you know only too well what goes on ,  and are not suitable to be a servile servant, you wont get a cheap home and relocation package, when you float off into sunset with your generous pension, topped up by the little man.
 with rico in charge of data protection i would hope , that with the help of  a i.t boffin , would place a worm in the whole system and up load all data onto the net for the world to see, whilst jersey slumbers over a weekend.

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 04:07:40 PM »
it needs to honour the Spartan ethic
Like leaving babies out in the wood or hills to ensure they are strong/lucky enough to be Spartans? Natural selection is one thing, but deliberately forcing it is another altogether.

P.S. what's wrong with the Corinthians and their ethics?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:13:59 AM by Mark Forskitt »

ole razzy

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
P.S. what's wrong with the Corinthians and their ethics?

Nothing at all. Fine fellows all. But wouldn't that come within the Assistant Minister with special responsibility for Sport's portfolio?

OK here's my revised top 10 ways to increase tourism in Jersey.

1) As maninthestreet has already said - turn the Odeon into a 'cinema of erotica'.
2) Bring in 3 'world class' lap dancing clubs (one for each of the large urban parishes)
3) Legalise soft drugs and introduce state run 'coffee shops'.
4) Legalise prostitution and abolish the gambling laws
5) Abolish tax on cigarettes and alcohol and allow 24 hour shopping 7 days a week.
6) Elect Larry Flint as Deputy Chief Minister (to ensure continuity) with a mandate to build the biggest nightclubs in europe.
7) Establish a rolling programme of themed festivals aimed at promoting our new cultural identity across europe- such as "Le fete d'Erotica", "La Fete de Cannabis" and "Le Fete de Tabac" etc - but there must a new one every month. Of the current crop CAMRA can stay and the BOF but only on the proviso its transformed into a 'Pride March'.
8) Knock down all the older hotels and build some nice clean cheap hotels. European's especially love that kinda thing. Think Ibis.
9) Buy Flybe (ditch their current branding and go back to calling it 'Jersey Eurpoean') and put on year round low cost daily flights to every european capital. So long as they can run on biofuel as its important nowadays to show your green creditials.
10) Ditch the golden banana for a golden dildo on a rainbow background.

I'm tellin ya - it would work! Life would, of course, be very different. Not much would get done. But hey - does anything get done now?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:38:42 PM by ole razzy »