Author Topic: Economic Development Minister: Senator Philip Ozouf  (Read 29001 times)

Jason the Maverick

Re: Economic Development Minister: Senator Philip Ozouf
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »
It may be a good time to remind everybody that Planet Jersey is not affiliated with any Politician or Party.

You are free to speak your feelings!

Chief Minister

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »
Puts tax on poor people whilst enjoying wealth.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:32:39 AM by JTM »

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 01:49:58 AM »
When I say you are free to give us your feelings, can we avoid personal insults please!

Wealthy?  There are a lot of people with money in Jersey I am afraid! 

What I would say though, is that there appears to be are a lot of States members who do not understand the plight of the poor in Jersey.  We can tell this from a lot of the media statements.

I really think it is shameful that we will be taxing food next month and it makes you start to wonder where this Island will be heading in the years to come.

This damage to the Island, even with the tourism industry is probably going to actully lose us a lot of money, so this 3% will be rising pretty quickly.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 02:34:05 AM by JTM »

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
At least he is kean to encorage the finance industry.

Offline Tory Boy

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »
I have always liked him, always on the TV and works a lot harder than Southern.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »
Well he is involved in economic development and I know his job is not only a tough one but requires a lot of hours.  Geoff Southern on the other hand spends most of his time attacking over Ministers work.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:39:51 AM by JTM »

Davros Le Sueur

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 10:19:51 AM »
IMHO, he is one of the main people who perpetrates the culture of greed and selfishness in this island.
I do not think he is a bad person, just misguided.
He was born in to a wealthy family and has never had to scrimp and save.
Lucky him, but that unfortunately that does not give him a true understanding of those on the breadline. :(

Maybe he should do some charity work with the homeless and disadvantaged?

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
I think you could say the same for a lot of Ministers.  Is this a vested interest club for the wealthy?

Well the tax or lack of on boat fuel suggests something maybe wrong. ???

Davros Le Sueur

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 10:25:34 AM »
Well he is involved in economic development and I know his job is not only a tough one but requires a lot of hours.  Geoff Southern on the other hand spends most of his time attacking over Ministers work.

If nobody spoke against the Ministers they would just walk all over us even more.
Like Ozouf, Southern is also a decent man. He was my teacher at Hautlieu and a very hard working and dedicated one. You may not agree with his polices, but he does speak from his heart.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »
He has wasted a lot of money though.  £500,000 on the JT debacle?  Sorry cannot agree with that one.

Offline danrok

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »
The Economic Development Minister is backing a new business venture to bring Ferraris, Aston Martins and other machines worth millions to the Island.

What a fine idea, all those expensive cars could be stored on all the spare land we have, which no one wants due to all the cheap housing we have.  ::)

So, now keeping pointless machines warm, safe and dry takes priority over people.

I hope some young reprobate sets fire to them.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
Senator Philip Ozouf is a very intelligent, hardworking even clever member of the states whom sadly with his skills could have been almost as popular as Stuart Syvret.

Its seems reasonable to me that when the financial institutions are holding ( last figure I saw ) £240 billion of funds on this island and even in these times their recent profits are reasonably healthy in the troubled financial world. We should be pleased that the top banking experts based here are doing well and providing income for themselves and Jerseys' tax revenue. The fact that more than 65% of Jerseys' income is derived from the finance industry is in no way their fault. It is the fault of small-minded Government policy who care not, about a balanced working diverse happy economy. Some of our states members are the exception and have a deeper vision may I add. For the record I do not work in finance. 

Where has the young Senator gone wrong? He thinks he is the ultimate financial salesman for Jersey, Further more he set up a Government shop using hardworking peoples taxes to showcase the finance sector. As if they cannot afford to promote themselves. Actually they even have offices blocks around the world Senator Qzouf. If there is a market for them do you really believe they are sitting at home watching Emmerdale or Friends on TV.

How utterly ridiculous and disjointed. So another case of Government can do it better than people who work, and are knowledgeable professionals in their chosen subject.

What's worse is that this is not the first time, If my memory serves me well, a reception was put on in Saudi Arabia to bring in extra business and another showcase to get super-yachts to register here. It cannot be that successful if the Senator has to go around raiding education's and other budgets. Sorry kids no milk for you we need the money to pay for the next group of agents to work for Jersey Finance in India and China.

Should a few bank advisors be invited to travel, they would be silly to turn the invitation down, why finance another showcase or office when you can get a misguided Senator from a  misguided Government to do it for you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:43:43 PM by boatyboy »

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »
"Jersey Enterprise has announced a series of events to mark their new international partnership with India’s business investment network.

The partnership has been formed with the Indian Angel Network, who bring together successful entrepreneurs and company chief executives to address the lack of funding faced by business start-ups in the subcontinent.

Senator Philip Ozouf, speaking when the partnership was formed, said: ‘It means that the Indian Angel Network will provide Jersey businesses with direct access to a group of high-net-worth investors, as well as providing a range of business opportunities that will help the Island increase its visibility in Indian markets.’

Senator Ozouf led a delegation to India in February, which included representatives from Jersey Finance Ltd, Economic Development and the Chief Minister’s department".

This sounds good, because there could be a lot of business opportunities in this emerging market.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 09:26:21 AM »
Update to post 26 above should read Jersey is holding £246 Billion in funds on this island.

latest figure from the JEP.last week June 2008.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
The Finance industry is good for Jersey as a major employer and contributor to the tax revenue. It would be prudent for Jerseys government to put in place a framework that would encourage other business to grow over time so we are not so reliant on just one industry.

Now Minister Senator Phillip Ozouf. As mentioned in post 26 above, is hard working and intelligent, but is facing a no confidence vote along with the other Ministers.

Latest news is the shop called Jersey Finance ( set up to showcase our expertise in finance and banking ) having voted £1,000,000 pounds they get from the public purse have also been given another £500,000 buy the taxpayer to fund employment of a new project manager £110,000 pounds per year, house car maybe? The rest of the money, about £390,000 goes to fund agents in China and India. Signed over by Senator Ozouf. To be fair one has to invest to reap the rewards. So what small percentage is the Jersey taxpayer contributing compared to the wealthy international banks and financial institutions working here holding £246 billion on deposit. According to the JEP and they may have got the figure wrong, Jersey taxpayer £1.5 million Financial institutions £410,000. Is spending this money in the best interest of the taxpayer?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:45:52 AM by boatyboy »