Author Topic: Jersey Senator Alan Breckon is charged with assault  (Read 3664 times)

Offline danrok

Jersey Senator Alan Breckon is charged with assault
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »
A Jersey politician has appeared in the Magistrates' Court charged with grave and criminal assault.

Senator Alan Breckon, 59, is alleged to have assaulted Suzette Haze on 31 March 2011 at a house in St Brelade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-18198755

Charged, but not yet tried, so perhaps be careful with any comments.

Offline boatyboy

Re: Jersey Senator Alan Breckon is charged with assault
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »

No comments allowed on there  but in case you want to use freedom of speech now the trial is over.

JEP

Sentor Alan Breckon has been found not guilty of committing a grave and criminal assault on a woman at his home in April.

An Assize jury took almost four hours to return their verdict after a trial lasting three days.

The long-serving Senator (59) had denied committing the assault on his former assistant Susette Hase after inviting her to dinner, during which, the court heard, between three and five bottles of wine were drunk.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2012/10/26/senator-foundnot-guilty-of-grave-assault/

bb

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
Was always going to be doubtful if the only witnesses were the accuser and the accused, both drunk.
No Jury in the land could honestly convict someone in such circumstances.
I think the Jury should have the third option of ,"Not Proven", (Still used in Scotland), which basically means. "We think you may be guilty, but there is insufficient evidence to prove beyond doubt".

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:17:06 AM »
I agree it sounds like there was not enough evidence to prove beyond doubt.

But, I don't buy the blackmail story.  Who the hell falls over drunk, wakes up and decides to use their injuries as an excuse to blackmail their friend?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »
I agree it sounds like there was not enough evidence to prove beyond doubt.

But, I don't buy the blackmail story.  Who the hell falls over drunk, wakes up and decides to use their injuries as an excuse to blackmail their friend?

She owed, "Her friend",(No fool like an old fool), quite a few quid and might have seen the episode as an  opportunity to clear her slate.

Offline wakey

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »
I am reliably informed that the jury's decision was 9 "guilty" and 3 "not  guilty".

In Jersey the decision must be at least 10 "guilty"  of the 12, or a "not guilty" verdict will result.

This procedure seems very flawed to me.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:49:42 PM »

Fair comment wakey, however this makes Breckon look like he is still guilty, it would be reassuring if you would check the court transcripts and put them in the public domain on here or else where.

I actually am not bothered much either way, as long as justice is done and fair, but for the sake of being safe your jury voting figures will be recorded.

bb

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:19:13 AM »
We can only go by what was written. She said he beat her up, he said she did. She admits having a drinking problem and he helped her out financially. The whole sorry story would have not got out of the magistrates court had it been Joe average.