Author Topic: So TLS is the new Chief Minister  (Read 15959 times)

Offline en830

So TLS is the new Chief Minister
« on: December 08, 2008, 01:23:30 PM »
What ramifications do you think this will have in the island ?
You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Offline newmac

Re: So TLS is the new Chief Minister
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
More taxes, more uncontrolled Government spending, higher population.

I personally can't think of any positives

Offline Jerseyite

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »
More taxes, more uncontrolled Government spending, higher population.

I personally can't think of any positives

We're doomed!  >:(

Offline Linda Corby

• Linda Corby
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
Congrats to TLS, but if  this vote had been taken by the people of the island on a referendum TLS wouldn't have won and it would have been AB for new Chief Minister. Proved by Time for change organized Peoples vote.

Now lets see if we can guess who the new Ministers will be?

I just hope TLS has the common sense not to give Senator Terry Le Main a ministerial position as he is too much of a loose canon and shows total disrespect for the ministerial sytem.

I personally could work with any of the other States Members establishment or otherwise, but TLM is such a rude obnoxious man that I just couldn't put up with his childish bully boy tactics, and the fact that he doesn't know when to apologize or shut his mouth, working with TLM who has the manners of a hog in a muddy hollow is not something I would envy any States Member including TLS.

http://lcorby.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/senator-terry-le-main-a-jersey-channel-islands-minister-spits-out-the-dummy/

I thought AB's idea of having JM & PO as joint ministers for the housing department was an excellent one, as this would give good balance.

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
It all depends on how his rhetoric of consensus politics turns out in practice.

It may turn out very well, or it may turn out to be like Margaret Thatcher's quotation of Francis of Assisi ("Where there is discord, may I bring peace"!!!)

Early days at the moment.

However, I suspect that if Terry had been the Chief Minister pressed to comment on Haut de La Garenne, the word "shafted" would not have passed his lips. There will certainly be a change in "tone".

Offline Linda Corby

• Linda Corby
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »
It all depends on how his rhetoric of consensus politics turns out in practice.

It may turn out very well, or it may turn out to be like Margaret Thatcher's quotation of Francis of Assisi ("Where there is discord, may I bring peace"!!!)

Early days at the moment.

However, I suspect that if Terry had been the Chief Minister pressed to comment on Haut de La Garenne, the word "shafted" would not have passed his lips. There will certainly be a change in "tone".

I see where you are coming from. I just hope TLS starts listening to the people of the island, that Time for change vote result of 468 vote for AB and 86 votes for TLS, must surely tell him something? 

It would be nice if he could unify the States Members, good politicians should be able to agree to differ and get on with the job amicably, and they should not be allowed to be rude to each other or the general public

Offline !CaveMan

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »

Ye Tax man commeth!
looks like we will be keepin Get Stu**Terry then  >:(
but i still like this video well most of it, especially the booing at the end,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awOye_ILkUc

:'(

Offline danrok

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »
Congrats to TLS, but if  this vote had been taken by the people of the island on a referendum TLS wouldn't have won and it would have been AB for new Chief Minister. Proved by Time for change organized Peoples vote.

A poll on CTV's website is currently showing that 67% of the public think that they made the wrong decision.  A popular man, he is not.

Offline newmac

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »
And he'll have 2 more members of staff in the Chief Ministers department wih salaries of up to £200,000 each >:(

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:32:27 PM »
 I  have just seen fred cohen down  the waterfront with a shovel & hard hat...looks like the sunken road is underway oh well...

Hang on to your seatbelts its going to be one hell of a ride..

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline J-Guy

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
Well done and good luck to Senator Le Sueur. I have no doubt that he has the necessary experience to lead Jersey, but I worry about the Island’s future policy direction and the likelihood that we are in for 3 more years of the same.

I hope that he truly supports consensus government over the next few years and relies less on spin and more on open and transparent government, unlike his predecessor. I also hope that we are able to see electoral reform, which these elections demonstrated is vital.

I have concerns about our reliance on the finance industry, unnecessary spending, the waterfront, immigration and the effect of continued development on the countryside and our infrastructure, amongst many other issues. To be honest, nothing I heard today allayed my fears and I really doubt that there will be any notable change in the direction of government.

Offline newmac

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
So after all his talk of a more representative government he wants the same people to carry on as Ministers. The most alarming to me is Le Main to carry on as housing Minister.

http://www.jerseyinsight.com/news_1.aspx?id=0:11710&news=2:1394

Perhaps Sarah, Sean, Stuart or any of the other States Members who visit this forum could give us there view.

Offline more

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
 Well thats a good start For T.Le.Sueur to let us know that verylittle is going to change. The two extra joining his department at 200,000 must have been put in place before his election.As Finance Minister he could'nt control the millions spent   by departments  on trips which included numbers of civil servants. Work out over the last 3 years how much has been spent?. And more to come on Harcourt project,and Incinerator. If his record as Finance Minister is any thing to go by.Which amounts to a runaway horse, his handling of money was long out of control.Already two more now joining at such a cost. The cost of spin doctors still continues. No one can predict the out come of how Jersey will be in another 3 yrs , Its lunacy to believe every thing will remain the the same without cutting our coats according to the cloth now.Reducing the spending of taxpayers money. The possible risk is even greater that the Island could go (bust)  bankrupt, within the next 3 to 5 years. Time now,  Whatever is seen moneywise going thu the States to be passed  we will see and hear more of (Contre )in members votes from sitting and new elected members in their efforts, Hopefully preventing further disaster. Is there any truth in Harcourt further dealings being in trouble in the Bahamas. Anyone like to check this out'?

cyrillem

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
The Time4Change poll means nothing. It was a VERY small poll in relation to the island and the only people who voted would have been those determined to vote Breckon and prove that TLS was not wanted. I imagine that in places like St John's and Trinity where TLS would have a stronghold, could not be bothered, for want of a better term, or could not reach the poll, making it null and void.

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »
If you want to know how the votes lined up, then according to my spreadsheet (based on manifestos and the way sitting members vote), I think it was probably.

For Terry Le Sueur (36):

Ian Le Marquand
Alan Maclean
Paul Routier
Philip Ozouf
Sarah Ferguson
Terry Le Sueur
Terry Le Main
Freddie Cohen
Ben Shenton
James Perchard
Angela Jeune