Author Topic: Jurats  (Read 12034 times)

Offline Jersey Spud

Re: Jurats
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »
So there's no point in having a Judge in court over here if he only voices the decision of others :-\

Not quite  :D

Whilst the Jurats are Judges of "fact", the Bailiff and his Deputy are Judges of "law", as far as I am aware. In other words, they are there to resolve the legal issues. 

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 01:16:25 AM »
From just readin some of these posts, do people think much of Jurats?  You get the impression that they are a bit like free masons.

Offline danrok

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 01:20:40 AM »
I can recall Liddiard's dental surgery, and the horrors within.

Looked something like this:

:'(

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 09:41:33 AM »
You get the impression that they are a bit like free masons.

Why is that JTM? Jurats are lay-judges in our Courts, undertaking a voluntary role to which they are elected by both Lawyers and Politicians. What's that got to do with free-masonary?

Offline The Rev Peter Sarkey

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »
Judge ye not as ye who could be judged!
"That's not in the effing good book!"

Offline Darius

• Justice for Jersey
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 01:36:53 AM »
On the Contrary the jurats replace a jury in the majority of cases; then they generally tend to be ex- senior civil servants means that they tend to play along with the establishment line.

Only in assizes trials (such as for rape, murder etc.) does Jersey employ juries of 12 peers.

Normally two persons are nominated and a person always loses the first vote (which is made only by the legal profession) and then is elected second time. A notable exception is former St Clement Constable Stan Le Cornu who was elected at the first attempt.

Their role is as judge of fact and it is they who decide guilt or innocence and also decide the sentence subject to the direction of the judge.

Other roles are:

1) To supervise the counts at elections
2) To adjudicate on appeals at election booths
3) To act as the Board of Visitors at HMP La Moye as a direct appeal for prisoners to the Court
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:39:49 AM by Darius »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 01:01:27 AM »

Have Jurats reached there sell by date ?

A comment by proud Jerseyman on the subjects of juries.

February 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hear hear Sir!

One hardly thinks it is right and proper for such momentuous decisions to be left to the caprices of the ‘great unwashed’.
Even when they are of otherwise good character such individuals invariably lack the nuanced understanding of the pressures facing the great and the good among us.

For example, if a leading financier were facing charges, all it would take is one ‘rotten apple’ on a jury to exploit prevalent misconceptions about the workings of the finance industry to render proceeding as little more than a show trial, or some ghastly Cultural Revolution style public denunciation of bourgeois tendencies.
Egalitarian notions as universal jury service have no place in Jersey equity and should, one posits, be ‘set aside’ forthwith.
Certainly if one were stand before the Royal Court one would expect to be judged by one’s peers. And these do not, one hastens to add, include individuals who may live on some ghastly housing estate.

Proud Jerseyman

Report abuse

Sharp Report-Jersey

?February 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm?

Fabulous as ever PJ?

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

Have Jurats reached there sell by date ?

A comment by proud Jerseyman on the subjects of juries.

The writer of this c**p seems to think of himself as a great satiricist but he doesn't understand the point of satire at all, if you ask me. I would say first and foremost it has got to make you laugh but this doesn't. He has probably spent too long watching the likes of The Two Johns on Rory Bremner and thinks he can mimic them. He probably also thinks his comments are making some hugely significant, biting social commentary- well think again!

The style of 'humour', if you can really sink to call it that, reminds me a bit of Stuart Syvret before his downfall.  ::) Not that I'm saying that it is Syvret of course, but there are similarities in the mentality.  Doesn't deserve to be copied and pasted anywhere. Best ignored.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 06:00:10 PM »

I agree Jerry in parts of what you say, but hey this might not be my particular thread of humour, but I can see some relevance or should that be irony in it.

Regarding Syvret, he is rarely the humour writer, but normally right in his facts and take on child care failings  in states departments and other issues, thats if you have bothered to read his blog. The thread is Jurats elected by their own learned friends and one defended a pedophile. I take it you are happy with the  judicial set up ?

Have a good day.

BB