Author Topic: Deputy Tadier gets to the truth, public employee blocks emails.  (Read 2446 times)

Offline boatyboy

Deputy Tadier gets to the truth, public employee blocks emails.
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:55:28 AM »

Of course any person wishing to block an email from a sender can do so.
What happens in the small island of Jersey when a concerned constituent, who also  runs a popular blog,  sends emails to his elected representatives, asks reasonable questions, and groups his email to inform the rest of the States members so they can be informed and updated.

A civil servant decides to block the whole Jersey Government email system  so none of the politicians can receive his emails, - he is blocked.

The unbelievable undemocratic illegal story, is on the link below.

Dear Deputy Tadier,

In response to your questions,

The request to block Mr Sorder was made by the then Deputy Director of ISD.

http://ricosorda.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/rico-sorda-citizen-journalist-blocked.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:36:42 AM by boatyboy »

Offline man in the street

Re: Deputy Tadier gets to the truth, public employee blocks emails.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
north korean flag anyone?

Offline shortport

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 01:46:15 AM »
who was the Deputy Director of ISD.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 02:10:45 AM »
......and who was the politician who made the request? A public servant elected to act for, be answerable to, and paid for by the electorate.

Leaves a very bad taste, especially as knowing Rico as I do, he would never be abusive. Forceful maybe, but he is entitled to answers if he has valid concerns. We need to find out which politican took the easy way out and the 'offending' e-mail to be produced.

North Korea indeed.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 02:12:07 AM »
Good question short port, also who was the politician who complained or was it a judicial member pulling the plug, actually Rico Sorda is asking a lot of questions but will the msm ? If not why not.

There is a bad smell about this  :-\

BB

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 04:18:06 AM »
All I ever ask for is answers. It really is that simple.

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 05:40:06 AM »
I can't find any States Department with the initials 'ISD' -does anyone know what that is? It sounds like Rico had no idea he had been blocked. That's very bad. At least if he had received an e-mail informing him that it had not been delivered then he would know there was a problem. I bet there are a few of us, myself included, who have read this and started wondering if this might possibly explain why we haven't received replies to e-mails that we've sent to States Members in the past. However, on the balance of probabilities, I tend to believe that in my case at least, those States Members have received my communications but were just too lazy to reply!  >:(

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
 if  you  find  that    you  are  blocked   from  passing  comment ,   or  asking   questions ,   then   you know  you  are on  the  right  track .
 no?

Offline Tosh

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »
I can't find any States Department with the initials 'ISD' -does anyone know what that is? It sounds like Rico had no idea he had been blocked. That's very bad. At least if he had received an e-mail informing him that it had not been delivered then he would know there was a problem. I bet there are a few of us, myself included, who have read this and started wondering if this might possibly explain why we haven't received replies to e-mails that we've sent to States Members in the past. However, on the balance of probabilities, I tend to believe that in my case at least, those States Members have received my communications but were just too lazy to reply!  >:(

Information Services Dept

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
Now read Rico's follow-up article on this matter dated 23rd November, if you haven't already:

http://ricosorda.blogspot.com/2013/11/rico-sorda-blocked-on-govje-finds.html

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »

Very interesting Jerry, Rico has handled the situation in an honourable way, but there are still questions outstanding.

When a person sends an email, and it does not arrive [ maybe through a typo by the sender or another reason ] the email service normally sends a message like unable to deliver. As Rico mail was blocked it does appear strange that the system did not confirm that his mail had been blocked, by not arriving to the person intended. This I feel is wrong and should be addressed if it hasn't been already.

The second point is what is the rules regarding blocking by a states employed IT worker ( director or otherwise ) at the request of one States member ?

It would be helpful, but unlikely to come to the surface, for list containing email addresses not allowed to access states members through gov.je. I tend to use their personal email addresses when communicating. It would be interesting if Deputy Tadier would lodge a question asking the number of email addresses blocked by the department and finding out exactly how the blocking of emails now works by the States IT department.

There will always be cranks in life, that need blocking, even to States members but the number targeted would be interesting.

BB

Offline Fritz

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:25:05 AM »
I would be very interested to know who decides on blocking emails to the ivory towers.

In the past I have found that it has always been more effective to ,"Top-down", any grievance with government departments. IE: Email the minister in charge, and let them pass it down for action rather than hope that a desk-jockey at ground level can pass the problem upward for action.

You are always more likely to get a result if the boss gets complaints and passes them down.
Is there now a new department to stop the, "Top-down", method?

Very worrying if there is.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 06:37:13 AM »

You are always more likely to get a result if the boss gets complaints and passes them down.
Is there now a new department to stop the, "Top-down", method?

I don't necessarily agree. The conceitedness of today's ministers means that they are likely to ignore your e-mail unless you are bringing to their attention something that they clearly must action. Even then, they will very often just forward it on to a civil servant and it is the civil servant who eventually replies, not the minister. In many cases I would actually prefer to contact a civil servant directly, particularly for answers to queries, because many of them will respond fully and promptly, whereas you will just get a deliberately ignorant political answer from a minister if you dare to suggest that a departmental policy needs changing.

The problem is that you can no longer easily find the direct e-mail addresses of the administrators that you want to contact. It is like a state secret, highly-guarded. I wonder if they'll give out any lists of internal e-mail addresses to someone who requests it under the new Freedom of Information law, when that is eventually introduced in just over a year's time? I very much doubt it though- I bet there will be loads of exemption clauses included in the Jersey law (most probably under ministerial Orders) to stop any really useful information getting out. I bet Francis Le Gresley MBE is lobbying like crazy to make sure that Social Security's internal policies and procedures remain top secret after the FOI comes in. I know why!  ;)   :-X

Offline Fritz

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 11:54:46 PM »
Fact is,(In real life private sector). If the boss gets a bit of grief it gets passed down the line for immediate action.
If you go the ,"Bottom up", route, dont hold your breath waiting for a response.

"Simples".

Offline gladiator

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 01:02:02 AM »
Agreed Fritz,

In private business the chairman / women or top honcho, has probably had to work extremely hard to get to the number one spot, and will have more time and interest in a customer / business who has a experienced a problem with his / her company. Not always of course but normally.

Regarding the States I wrote to Gorst when he was boss at Social Security, due to not getting an answer to the ridiculous earnings they assumed I had earned.

He never bothered to answer, but an executive did was put in charge of my query and it got sorted.

On a the same subject, I have never understood why people do not phone up or write and if no answer make an appointment to see States members who are just like us human beings, and normally very approachable. When having serious problems with a states department, a well documented appeal to a states member can work absolute wonders, as it has for me on more than four occasions.