Author Topic: Senator Paul Routier turn for a jolly  (Read 2724 times)

Offline danrok

Senator Paul Routier turn for a jolly
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:34 AM »
Routier is to travel to the other side of the globe to lay a wreath.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-18280148

Exactly what connection he has to the Falklands/Falklands War is a mystery to me, and presumably the cost of this penguin spotting trip will be paid for by the taxpayer.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Senator Paul Routier turn for a jolly
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »
Here's something that is just as useful as Paul Routier MBE:

http://mugs.mugbug.co.uk/500/hmb.cadburys_teapot_chocolate.left.jpg

... only a lot less expensive  ;D

Offline man in the street

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »
Back in the day when jersey had money coming out of it's ears, we gave cash to falklanders to build some homes ,I believe .                             

So  it now becomes very clear that we have failed to help our own, to get affordable housing , but can give it to folk on the otherside of the world ,  the gift to falklanders was. Because , jersey was occupied  by the germans .

No need to go there to honour. Those who fell in the conflict, we have a perfectly good cenotaph outside the town hall

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
Jersey donated £5m to the Falklands.  Quite a large sum of money back in ~1982.  We couldn't afford to be so generous today.

I don't have any major issue with that.  Although, I believe their economy has done will since the end of the Falklands War, perhaps they can send some cash our way when the oil starts flowing?

Offline man in the street

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:50:31 AM »
 hope he returns with a list of jobs for those of us who want to leave, for a brighter future.
 i bet they  do not just let any one in down there .

Offline Dundee

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
hope he returns with a list of jobs for those of us who want to leave, for a brighter future.
 i bet they  do not just let any one in down there .

I think the weather and conditions there may be not as good as Jersey, mind you considering the weather we have at the moment perhaps its not a bad idea. The Island and the UK have made money through their lucrative fishing grounds which they have sold off to foreign vessels, and now interests in oil and gas are rising which will keep the economy ticking over.