Author Topic: Deputy Tadier gives speech to Cathedral protesters in London.  (Read 2510 times)

Offline boatyboy

Deputy Tadier gives speech to Cathedral protesters in London.
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »
This is an interesting turn of events. Does anyone think that the Very Rev Key should be speaking and influencing the states chamber and being paid twenty-four thousand pounds a year when he is clearly not elected. The Church of England does not need the money as it is sitting on a mere 4 billion pounds of shares etc.

The Rev Key needs to come out like his peers and tell us his thoughts on capitalism and as he is  being paid by the taxpayer when not elected by them. Is he a man of the church or a politician or just likes a quiet  life, without answering the real questions ? Ted Vibert wanted him removed.

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/show_details.asp?id_number=56

BBC

A Jersey politician addressed protesters outside St Paul's Cathedral in London on Saturday.
Deputy Montfort Tadier took part in a session on tax havens and secrecy jurisdictions organised by Occupy the London Stock Exchange.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-15822887

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
Re: Deputy Tadier gives speech to Cathedral protesters in London.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »
Well I am biased against the Dean being paid to sit in the States, not because of the person he is but purely on the grounds of religious views.

Sometimes one is in a position to see the 'other' side of a religious organisation, the one that often puts money before people.

I can't remember the last time I heard of a Dean of Jersey (not necessarily the present Dean) protesting on behalf of the poor of the island.  I can, though, remember a call for a new roof, a smart new wall or a pathway to be tarmacadamed!

£4B worth of shares eh?  Maybe they would be in a far better position to bail out European banks in the next round of disasters than the taxpayer at this rate!

Cali  ;)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline man in the street

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
 why not a member of the catholic church, a buddist and a muslim  and some one of the jewish faith.
 to be  fair these days , sorry  forgot the hindu's  .
 lets not forget the  vicar of all saints who allowed the park dwellers of the day to claim sanctuary and sit on the steps  of the church.
 anyone know when the voice of  the c of e  last spoke? can he vote ?

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
I would personally be very careful when allowing other faiths into the States Assembly.  Better to get rid of the one and hope the States Assembly develop a more modern approach to parliamentary business of governing.  You would not want to end up with a stoning in the square now would you.

INMHO, First of all I would do away with all religious influence.

I would like to see a more humanistic approach to governing with a direct link to human rights. 

I would like to see, over a period of time, all statute reviewed and revised, if needed, to bring them in line with human rights principles.

I would like to see an end to the red/black cloth, leggings, fur, ermine and feathers currently favoured by dignitaries.  They would look great in a museum.  Medals and chains of office would suffice to show if we were rubbing shoulders or watching a ceremony in which distinquised members of parliament or judiciary are officiating.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:24:11 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »

I agree with much of what you say Cali, is it not time that the influence of the Church through the Dean was removed from the States.

If this is not your view, then lets not show such discrimination. How about the leader of the well supported Masonic temple or the head of the Jewish community all having their say to our elected 51 politicians before they start debating the current agenda.

I am sure that Dean Key whom I have met, is an honourable and honest man. However the question must be asked what is he doing in the States and why is he being paid, he was never voted in and yet has influence over the assembly, in todays world that seems wrong to me ?

BB

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
 i am all for removing bias, religion leads to control, and we are in the year 2011.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »
Removing the Rev and religion from the states would mean change, a word that seems to scare most of our states members into counteracting it with the word tradition.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 01:32:54 AM »
ah , change  and the good clothier report, makes a good door stop or something to light the fire with.
 there seems to be as much chance of  change in my life time as peace  in my life time .

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
 the  morning service  on radio four this morning  comming from edingburgh,  as i  was  in bed  relaxing ,  noticed , the  vicar( or whatever) had altered the lords prayer,  to include the words
" forgive us our debt as we forgive  our debtors" i kid you not folks . it was towards the  end of the service , have no sound bite  time to give you  ,  for anyone to confirm this and  want  to here it for yourselves .
  i was amazed at this  , as i am not a church go-er. and  wondered if this  happened else where  in the  sunday service , say london ,  or st peters , st thomas.
 the occupy movement is not going to go away, the bankers  have taken us to where we are today, along with  goverment warmongers , under the  banner of democracy.
 the more unemployed you have the more people  are available to occupy or picket what you like .

( hugo chavez has asked  someone in london  for their 160 tons of gold  back)

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 12:16:41 AM »
:)