Author Topic: Electronic voting  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
Electronic voting
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
Since election information comes under the remit of the Judicial Greffier, I though I would post here.

The British Computer Society membership circa 70,000 shows the way.

"Electoral Reform Services is administering the voting for the BCS 2011 Annual General Meeting (AGM) and the Election of Council Members.

Please read the following instructions before casting your vote.

To vote on the AGM Resolutions, you can either:
- appoint a proxy via the internet or post, or
- attend the AGM in person
The appointment of a proxy via internet or post to vote on Resolutions must be received by 2pm (GMT) Tuesday 15 March to be valid.

Voting in the Election of Council Members is by internet or by post. The closing date is 2pm (GMT) on Monday 14 March.

You will shortly receive a voting pack through the post. Electronic versions of the documents in the voting pack can be found by using the URL below:

http://www.votebyinternet.com/bcs11

To vote by internet you will need to enter the following two-part security code:

Security Code part one:  ********

Security Code part two:  *****

The voting site is open 24 hours a day.

Yours sincerely

Electoral Reform Services"

While I am on the topic, I wonder if any consideration has been given to the organisation of hustings under the new (almost) all elected same day in a general election style? 

http://st-ouennais.livejournal.com/122895.html
http://www.gov.je/Government/NonexecLegal/JudicialGreffe/Pages/index.aspx

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
Re: Electronic voting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
This was copied from the UNA-UK Hustings Guide on:

http://www.una.org.uk/parliament/pdf/UNA%20Hustings2010%20WEB%20FINAL.pdf

Re: UK General election 2010

Who to invite?

You are not obliged by law to invite all candidates to a hustings but in the interests of
freedom of speech and impartiality, it should be encouraged. However, consideration should
be given to the following factors:
• If there are a large number of candidates standing in your constituency, it may be wise to
invite only the candidates representing the main political parties, otherwise the meeting
could become unmanageable and time for questions limited.
• The impact that the participation of extremist candidates may have on the meeting,
such as discouraging other candidates from attending, or the potential for disruption
during the meeting.
If a candidate refuses or is unable to attend, you may wish to offer them the opportunity to
provide a short statement to be read out at the beginning of the meeting.

_____

As we don't have party politics we can't obviously just invite the major parties to hustings events, so unless someone declines to attend we have them all at one sitting.   
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

rogueelement

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
Register online with a password and it is nearly very simple to make electronic voting work.However, this would lead to a lack of guidance for the elderly to be sat down and asked to sign certain forms which might permit votes for certain parties which otherwise would end up having zero representation in the states. Hopefully with most of that party having resigned , we can look forward to straight forward gerrymandering and public apathy to hold sway.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »
 no to electronic voting , that clod geoge bush appered to be re elcted due to this , mind you  if you are counting the papers who is to say that some do not go amiss , its all do to trust in the goverment. in the past , i have seen people returned year after year,  and i did not mean le main or syvert.
 if you assist someone with a form  you can be fined.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
Great idea to vote on line but i would not trust the system. Anything electronic is very easy to recalculate to what you want. Where the slip of paper is used there is somebody checking the counting so it is reliable.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:31 AM »
Great idea to vote on line but i would not trust the system. Anything electronic is very easy to recalculate to what you want. Where the slip of paper is used there is somebody checking the counting so it is reliable.

Are you sure about that?
Any smudge, mark or wrinkle on the paper can be construed as, "Spoil,t".
All depends on the opinion of the paper counters.