Author Topic: The best question yet  (Read 11009 times)

Offline Dundee

Re: The best question yet
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »
That's just what they don't want to be.
Why couldn't the AG have looked up about Harcourt :)

When did this become part of his remit?

Offline newmac

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
When did this become part of his remit?

He's gives legal advice to the chamber :)

Offline Dundee

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »
He's gives legal advice to the chamber :)

Exactly, he is not involved in the commercial dealings of a States quango.

Offline Xenth

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:30 PM »
It's interesting you mention that as when I questioned a local politician about it he said the reason for this was data security(!) I ask you what is more secure, a manilla envelope going through the whole postal network before ending up on the doormat of a house shared by several people or encrypting files to send to specific recipients?

Actually while we're on the topic, I don't suppose anyone has heard of the software PGP? It allows anyone to send an encrypted e-mail or file to anyone else using a "public key" i.e without needing to exchange passwords first. It's free and very simple to use - if the UK government had, they wouldn't have had to worry about losing all those CD's of personal data.

Sad to say I think even software as simple as that might be beyond some of them...

V.

Yup use PGP on  regular basis very good software and for the life of me i cant understand how or why the states haven't changed!!
"You don't pay taxes - they take taxes."
Chris Rock

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 11:58:47 PM »
Probably because PGP stands for "pretty good privacy" (http://cryptography.org/getpgp.htm), rather than "damned fine privacy" which any SOJ IT employee above the rank of keyboard jockey would expect, no doubt some States members like NPAA (no privacy at all) some would vote for IHYNFO software (I hope you never find out), other members may even go for CMA (cover my arse).
Whatcha reckon Hoss?
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

vlad1m1r

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »
Probably because PGP stands for "pretty good privacy" (http://cryptography.org/getpgp.htm), rather than "damned fine privacy" which any SOJ IT employee above the rank of keyboard jockey would expect, no doubt some States members like NPAA (no privacy at all) some would vote for IHYNFO software (I hope you never find out), other members may even go for CMA (cover my arse).
Whatcha reckon Hoss?

Isn't it astonishing how without costing them a penny they could use this - even if they misplaced a disc or laptop it would take over half the lifetime of the universe to break (roughly the time require to enact new laws in the island). Perhaps this is worth devoting a thread to in and of itself?

V.

rogueelement

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »
Slightly embarrassed observation here , myself and 2 others sat down and tried to recall the names of our 53 representatives.
We got up to 28 , although having reviewed the names we missed shenton , anyway , supposedly intelligent people with an interest,(obviously Vague) in Jersey politics , came up with only 28 sitting muppets out of 53.
So "best question yet" sit down and without reference to anything see how many you can think of , if like us you are as thick as 2 short planks you will be mid 20,s if you do not give a tinkers cuss 20 might tax you , if you can name , off the top of your head 30 or more , you need more medication and a lie down.
so what do we learn from this?
that anything above 28 is a waste of space?? I think so.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »
Good party game when the booze has gone!
I was intrigued by this Spart so I looked it up. Whell, stitch my old boots back on! There are SIXTY members of the States! I couldn't understand this so I counted again!

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/frame.asp
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »

The start of this thread, and very first posting. Is this why the child abuse victims even today are struggling for a clean and honest settlement, years later.

What has changed in the judicial structure from this old posting then and now ?

Quote:

THE BEST QUESTION YET.

Mr Tadier will ask in the States: "Will H.M Attorney General explain to members what steps he takes and has taken to ensure against any apparent conflict of
him being both the legal adviser to the Council of Ministers on child abuse matters, whilst at the same time being the person responsible for deciding whether or not to prosecute in such cases?"

He said: "This is not about Mr Bailhache as a person and one is certainly not questioning his integrity.

"There are, however, fundamental questions which need to be asked.

"For example, due to the dual nature of the position, the attorney general is, on the one hand, the person who decides whether or not to pursue cases in the historic child abuse inquiry and on the other hand the lawyer who advises the Council of Ministers on child abuse and presumably how they can minimise their liability with regards to future claims.

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2163.msg34975.html#msg34975