Author Topic: The best question yet  (Read 11011 times)

debumblebee

The best question yet
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »
I just picked this up from the BBC Radio Jersey Website. Apologies if it has already been discussed

Questions for Jersey legal chief  

William Bailhache said he would reveal details behind his advice on cases
Jersey Attorney General William Bailhache is facing questions over an alleged conflict of interest.

The questions on Monday by Montfort Tadier follows Mr Bailhache's advice to police to drop 11 cases in the Jersey historic abuse inquiry.

Mr Bailhache is also legal adviser to the Council of Ministers.

Mr Bailhache said he intended to reveal the details behind the advice to drop the cases when there could be "no impact on potential prosecutions".

'Fundamental questions'

Mr Tadier will ask in the States: "Will H.M Attorney General explain to members what steps he takes and has taken to ensure against any apparent conflict of him being both the legal adviser to the Council of Ministers on child abuse matters, whilst at the same time being the person responsible for deciding whether or not to prosecute in such cases?"

He said: "This is not about Mr Bailhache as a person and one is certainly not questioning his integrity.

"There are, however, fundamental questions which need to be asked.

"For example, due to the dual nature of the position, the attorney general is, on the one hand, the person who decides whether or not to pursue cases in the historic child abuse inquiry and on the other hand the lawyer who advises the Council of Ministers on child abuse and presumably how they can minimise their liability with regards to future claims.

"I am not alone in being concerned about this overlap."

Claims of abuse in Jersey child care homes from the early 1960s to 1986 are being investigated by police.

Mr Bailhache is the brother of Sir Philip Bailhache who is standing down as bailiff on Thursday.

William Bailhache will become deputy bailiff in November, leaving his role as attorney general open to a new incumbent.

I know this question has been raised before but it's being better presented here than previously.

Offline ageofaquarius

Re: The best question yet
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 06:00:30 AM »
Very well presented Bb. I'm sure you're not alone about the whole scenario of how our COM works with the B brothers.

Offline Norman_Point

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
I think we have had enough of personality destruction of late

People who live in glass houses . . .

Offline Norman_Point

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »
Oh dear, Spartacus!

It appears you can dish out criticism, but you find it very difficult to take it - like all bullies.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:04:54 PM »
I just picked this up from the BBC Radio Jersey Website. Apologies if it has already been discussed

Questions for Jersey legal chief  

William Bailhache said he would reveal details behind his advice on cases
Jersey Attorney General William Bailhache is facing questions over an alleged conflict of interest.

The questions on Monday by Montfort Tadier follows Mr Bailhache's advice to police to drop 11 cases in the Jersey historic abuse inquiry.

That just about somes it up...

Thanks for putting it up

rs
Mr Bailhache is also legal adviser to the Council of Ministers.

Mr Bailhache said he intended to reveal the details behind the advice to drop the cases when there could be "no impact on potential prosecutions".

'Fundamental questions'

Mr Tadier will ask in the States: "Will H.M Attorney General explain to members what steps he takes and has taken to ensure against any apparent conflict of him being both the legal adviser to the Council of Ministers on child abuse matters, whilst at the same time being the person responsible for deciding whether or not to prosecute in such cases?"

He said: "This is not about Mr Bailhache as a person and one is certainly not questioning his integrity.

"There are, however, fundamental questions which need to be asked.

"For example, due to the dual nature of the position, the attorney general is, on the one hand, the person who decides whether or not to pursue cases in the historic child abuse inquiry and on the other hand the lawyer who advises the Council of Ministers on child abuse and presumably how they can minimise their liability with regards to future claims.

"I am not alone in being concerned about this overlap."

Claims of abuse in Jersey child care homes from the early 1960s to 1986 are being investigated by police.

Mr Bailhache is the brother of Sir Philip Bailhache who is standing down as bailiff on Thursday.

William Bailhache will become deputy bailiff in November, leaving his role as attorney general open to a new incumbent.

I know this question has been raised before but it's being better presented here than previously.

one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Durendal

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
Were you going to add something?

I think it went something like this ..

In a new directive from the CM at an extra-ordinary SOJ meeting held in secret last night in an otherwise sleepy hamlet of St Helier... all participants have been given cups of tea with nano thought gathering nodes in them which relay peoples thoughts directly onto a screen in Davros’s new glasses...
Monty:          Ooo, My Head! What a bender!
Philip:            Mmmm  a bender?
Alan:              Sheesh ! What a bender!
Terry:             Oh there’s  a Pidgeon, I wonder if Mikey’s made it? Coo Coo – have some grain .
Sarah:            Oh brother! Here we go!
Jimmy:          I’d like to bend Her!
Stuart:          Die you bastard!
Danny:          Hmm cannabis! Green grow the  rushes oh!
Ian:                I think Davros likes me.
Davros:        (Clicking sound) Taxtaxtaxtaxtax.....

To be continued.....
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

ole razzy

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:44:31 PM »
Leaving the B brothers out of it for a moment , I think we have had enough of personality destruction of late, upto and including that of Syvret.

Far from it. I think there's far more we should be doing to hold up to ridicule every States member who comes over all pompous and self aggrandising. Problem is that at the moment there's really is very little happening of political consequence (outside of the HDLG / Care leavres / Oligarchy oppression issue) to spark ones imagination into life. I'm seriously thinking about spending some time in the gallery of the States Chamber so I can write up a parliamentary sketch. Problem is that fella from the paper that does it always sounds like he's totally and utterly bored. Somebody needs to re-package and wheel out a freshly media trained Jimmy Perchard.  Either that or convince Mike Vibert to run again as Deputy in St. Brelade no 2. Maybe I'll pop in to Touzel's on my way to the States Chamber and buy some grain to feed the pidgeons in the square.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »
Far from it. I think there's far more we should be doing to hold up to ridicule every States member who comes over all pompous and self aggrandising. Problem is that at the moment there's really is very little happening of political consequence (outside of the HDLG / Care leavres / Oligarchy oppression issue) to spark ones imagination into life. I'm seriously thinking about spending some time in the gallery of the States Chamber so I can write up a parliamentary sketch. Problem is that fella from the paper that does it always sounds like he's totally and utterly bored. Somebody needs to re-package and wheel out a freshly media trained Jimmy Perchard.  Either that or convince Mike Vibert to run again as Deputy in St. Brelade no 2. Maybe I'll pop in to Touzel's on my way to the States Chamber and buy some grain to feed the pidgeons in the square.

Ole Razzy

You must have spent too much time in the sticks as Touzels was rebranded as Animal Kingdom some years hence.

ole razzy

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
Really? I never knew. And that might also explain why when I go into Birds the Baker's and ask for a custard slice they look at me all funny.

Sticks - nope never seen them. My JDA passport prevents me from leaving the people's republic of St. Helier no 2. Something to do with iron curtains. At least they'd match with my front door.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
Really? I never knew. And that might also explain why when I go into Birds the Baker's and ask for a custard slice they look at me all funny.

Sticks - nope never seen them. My JDA passport prevents me from leaving the people's republic of St. Helier no 2. Something to do with iron curtains. At least they'd match with my front door.

I used to love Bird's the Bakers.

The Tenessee Pancake House with un PC Minstrel outside

The Yankee Catastrophe

The Sunshine Bakery

The Golden Egg

Good times mind you there was nothing on the box before 16:00 and after 23:00 and Sundays were so boring

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:10:08 PM »
How abaht Le Brun's eh at 4.0 am in Brahton Rrroad? Could always get some hot crrrrassants eh! Just to soak up the spesh!!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

debumblebee

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 06:17:56 PM »
The only problem with a question like this is that he has had around 5 days to think of a constructive answer.  Had it been a question without notice than that it may have shaken him.

The answer will still be interesting though.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »
Readers of the only true democratic open voice for Jersey is Planetjersey, designed and maintained by IT guru Adrian Walsh. All other bloggs including Stuart Syvrets are edited first but not PJ.

So a fact you may not be aware of is, the major group of the internet are the retired. Two reasons they have the time and family are spread accross the world.

The other users of the internet and lap tops  etc etc are us. Its just the way.

You are probably not going to believe what I have just found. I cannot believe it, ok its late

-----------------------------------------------------------

On the Bridget Broadcasting Charterbreakers radio the other morning was an interesting mention of Montfort Tadier being denied the chance to speak in the States because his speech was on his laptop.

Despite there being nothing in Standing Orders banning such a thing, and the AG using a laptop in the chamber, our unelected Speaker took it upon himself to deny an elected representative his chance to speak!

No mention of this outrage on the TV news of course!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

If the poster is right then nothing in standing orders stops a politician putting in his pennysworth from the back of a napkin, a piece of typed a4 or a lap top. What the hell going on when a young politician is stopped from representing his views and electorate using a laptop to read from.

Why ?

Boatyboy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:25:05 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Dundee

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »
The answer is more to do with the physical and historical properties of the chamber. I think this issue may have been discussed when the chamber was refurbished some years ago.

Of course there is also the human rights of the people sitting next to Deputy Tadier who may not want someone tapping away on their PC. It is a distraction as are blackberries, I think neither should be allowed in the chamber, members do have the option of going out of the chamber to access the the internet.

As for the AG being an unelected member what has that got to do with the issue! Given the complexity of our legal system there is good reason why he should have a PC especially as he is regularly consulted on legal issues and their interpretation, that he sites in a area where he is not so close to others may have some relevance.