Author Topic: Deputy Tadier and alternative taxation measures  (Read 5231 times)

Offline Pomme de terre

Deputy Tadier and alternative taxation measures
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:36:10 AM »
OK, I'm about to take a big risk and could end up sounding like the JTMBee here. I feel dirty already...

Deputy Tadier was interviewed by CTV on Weds 03/06/09, its 5 mins into the 03/06 report at http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_channelreports/.

He makes two schoolboy errors. First, on the subject of a land development tax, he states that a green field could be worth £30,000 without planning permission, but with planning permission then maybe £3million....or erm hang a minute, or maybe £30 million....!!

Now come on Monty, you look as if you're making it up as you're going along. Those figures are just stupid. There isn't a field in Jersey worth £30 million. There's probably not that many worth £3million. This is just rubbish, he's damaging his credibility IMHO.

He also mentions Inheritance Tax. What he and the JDA do not understand is that imposing inheritance tax would signal the immediate death knell for much of our finance industry. Ipso facto, it ain't gonna happen. (God, I now sound like David Brent). He also has the temerity to say that inheritance tax has "an element of redistribution" about it. Well, I have the temerity to say that it has "an element of stealing" about it. Grrrr...

Come on Monty, the States isn't a 6th form debating society. Why don't you get fully clued up on the facts (by talking to people who work in the industry) rather than shooting from the hip like this. You're doing yourself no favours dude.

Rant over, feel dirty, must go for a shower...

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
Re: Deputy Tadier and alternative taxation measures
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:28:48 AM »
Well posted PDT,

I cannot get my head round the anomoly of the dis-association of the curbing of expenditure in the SOJ, and job culling. We read every day in the rag of new initiatives which require new people to do new and unnecessary jobs. They need new offices, housing, schooling for their kids and vehicles to runaround in.

TLS will gleefully smile at Monty for this as he would have scored a bull. "don't deal with the problem, get more tax to flow into the SOJ income stream and the problem will go away" This is the chant-mantle of the TLS way of thinking.

Sorry folks to mention it, but the soon (hopefully) to retire-on-a-stupidly-overgenerous pension CM said the SAME (sorry Alvin) thing about GST. His unchallenged words in defense of the intro of this tax-by-stealth were "The alternative, is unthinkable".

I believe that he meant by these words that "The alternative, of doing my job properly and cutting out deadwood, reducing these bl**dy stupid salaries that SOJ dept leaders have got, bringing them in line with the real world,and slashing the horrendous wastefulness which as a highly qualified accountant I recognise, and as now the CM I have a responsability to control WIE, is unthinkable. As the saying goes "even Dick bl**dy Turpin wore a mask!"

Monty needs caning for this, Any proponent of similar ideas should be sacked immediately. There should be a wastefulness clause (which actually happens to be written in the SOJ-HOD green book of guidelines) in every SOJ employee contract with instant dismissal repercussions for offenders, regardless of status. This would stop them in their tracks.

PDT, take that shower, I feel grubby too.
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Ruddler

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
Thought Monty came out in the States today as a good old fashioned tax and spend redistributionist Attac man.  An honourable position no doubt but not one I particularly remember him leading on at Communicare hustings (apologies if I missed the bit where you said you were for higher taxes and statist redistributive policies Mont).  Sorry, my taxes already went up a whole lot (my take home pay fell this year for the first time since I started work!) and what we need is less government not more spending.

He was still using the £30 million schtick in the States this afternoon, he may be a linguist but maths might have been his weaker subject!

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »
Agree with all that Ruddler dude.

Can someone point out the £30million field on Google Maps please? I'll get up there with my metal detector, there's sure to be a pot of gold, rainbow or no rainbow.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.218494,-2.116241&spn=0.136568,0.362549&t=h&z=12

Given that prime waterfront land for high yielding flats was sold by Les Pas Holdings for £10million, I frankly think he's lost his marbles.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:21:18 PM by Pomme de terre »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »
Pomme de terre

Given that prime waterfront land for high yielding flats was sold by Les Pas Holdings for £10million

Do you actually believe that figure to be accurate?

Way off the mark mate.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
Pomme de terre

Given that prime waterfront land for high yielding flats was sold by Les Pas Holdings for £10million

Do you actually believe that figure to be accurate?

Way off the mark mate.

Tell me more Fritzy

Offline Fritz

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
The 10 million figure was plucked out of the air to put the case to bed. The actual deal involved a helluva lot more.
IE: States,(tax-payers), picking up the tab for excavating the whole site back to its original level.
Dandara,(with the help of Freddie Cohen), got this cost more than doubled by deciding to excavate a further storey, (aprox 3m), for another level of car park.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »
Ah-hah, I'd forgotten about that. Haven't taken a stroll down the waterfront for a while, must do so.

Regardless, I still maintain there aren't any thirty million quid green fields. Not unless someone has struck oil at Hougue Bie.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
300 units =30million field. Easily.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »
Fritzy, show me the field on google maps where you could get 300 houses.

Offline danrok

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »
I can guarantee that this field would be worth £30m or so, with permission...
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=49.231881,-2.035523&spn=0.00316,0.008261&z=18

The one on the east side of the private valley, with views to France.

Space there for 6 to 8 luxury homes worth £8m to £10m each.

Offline danrok

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 12:04:11 AM »
Here's one, just near by:
http://search.knightfrank.com/cho080423

You could fit that property, in to that field 6 to 8 times, no problem.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 12:16:16 AM »
Hey Danrok, looks like the old Bistro Frere. Stunning site, for sure.

My point is that when my six numbers come up on the lottery and I want to splurge £5-10million on a gaff, I don't want any of you oiks within a million miles of my field, ok?  ;)

You might be able to fit 6 to 8 megahouses in, but you wouldn't want to.

Hey, I'm enjoying this - fantasy housebuilding and "get orf my land!" all in one go.

debumblebee

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »
I will go slightly against the grain on this one and say there is nothing wrong with 'suggesting' alternate taxes.

But when it comes from somebody who sleeps off hangovers in the states chambers, is an open member of ATTAC and has been shot down in flames already 6 months into the job on a number of occassions by just looking at the voting records, maybe, just maybe, he should lend his worthless ideas to somebody more worthy in the States to voice off.  Mind you I doubt anybody would take that on lol  :-*
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:58:31 PM by debumblebee »

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 11:51:01 PM »
And your evidence for him "sleeping off a hangover" is where...? He denied it on CTV.

What's that noise? The thud of the writ hitting the Bee's doormat.