Author Topic: Vote for or against town park - 2010  (Read 1227 times)

Offline david4pj

Vote for or against town park - 2010
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
THE STATES assembled on Friday
25th September 2009, at 09.30 a.m. under
the Presidency of
Mr. Michael Nelson de la Haye,
Greffier of the States.

Draft Annual Business Plan 2010 P.117/2009

THE STATES, having resumed consideration of the Draft Annual Business Plan 2010, adopted an
amendment of Deputy Geoffrey Peter Southern of St. Helier that in paragraph (d) after the words
“withdrawn from the consolidated fund”, there should be inserted the words – “except that the following item shall be added to Table D under the heading ‘Major Equipment, Building and Civil Engineering Works’ –

STATES MINUTES 25th September 2009

T&TS  Town Park, Gas Place Proposed allocation £10,000,000

with an increase in the amount to be withdrawn from the consolidated fund from £34,587,000 to

£44,587,000”.

Members present voted as follows –

POUR: 23                                                                    CONTRE: 22                              ABSTAIN: 0

Senator S. Syvret                                                          Senator T.A. Le Sueur
Senator B.E. Shenton                                                    Senator P.F. Routier
Senator J.L. Perchard                                                    Senator P.F.C. Ozouf
Senator A. Breckon                                                       Senator T.J. Le Main
Senator A.J.D. Maclean                                                Senator S.C. Ferguson
Senator B.I. Le Marquand                                            Connétable of Trinity
Connétable of St. Helier                                               Connétable of St. Brelade
Connétable of St. John                                                  Connétable of St. Clement
Connétable of St. Lawrence                                          Connétable of St. Peter
Deputy of St. Martin                                                     Deputy R.C. Duhamel (S)
Deputy R.G. Le Hérissier (S)                                       Deputy J.B. Fox (H)
Deputy G.P. Southern (H)                                             Deputy of St. Ouen
Deputy of Grouville                                                      Deputy of St. Peter
Deputy J.A. Hilton (H)                                                  Deputy J.A.N. Le Fondré (L)
Deputy P.V.F. Le Claire                                                Deputy of Trinity
Deputy S. Pitman (H)                                                    Deputy S.S.P.A. Power (B)
Deputy M. Tadier (B)                                                    Deputy K.C. Lewis (S)
Deputy of St. Mary                                                        Deputy I.J. Gorst (C)
Deputy T.M. Pitman (H)                                               Deputy A.E. Jeune (B)
Deputy M.R. Higgins (H)                                              Deputy A.T. Dupré (C)
Deputy A.K.F. Green (H)                                              Deputy E.J. Noel (L)
Deputy D. De Sousa (H)                                                Deputy T.A. Vallois (S)
Deputy J.M. Maçon (S)

In accordance with Standing Order 106(1)(b) the Connétable of St. Saviour and the Deputy of St. John  declared an interest and withdrew from the Chamber for the duration of the debate.

Offline !CaveMan

Dead end of town Now!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:57:28 PM »
its causing me to shut up shop after 30 years trading as there is nowhere to park now and if my customers do park in the road they are getting £60 fines so they dont come anymore,
so I have found it to be a bad idea and only people walking will be able to visit it anyway,
it will end up with drunks and druggies in it and  vagabonds like the park near the hospital.
in my opinion.
so i vote against it, its going to be to big for this area, even the doctors cant get there parking as folk have to wait in ther cars outside in fear of being booked by the crazy mafia wardens like tony of st helier.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:00:34 PM by !CaveMan »

Offline boatyboy

Re: Vote for or against town park - 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
Caveman.

The original plan was to have a car park with a park above. To every Man Women and their dog this was so obviously common sense.  It is a large residential area with little private parking,  and  you only had to look at the amount of vehicles using the car park before they started working on the park, to realise how essential parking is.

Sadly the people in the states that do not understand this, have probably parking for several cars outside their splendid houses with the open aspect countryside views.  I have always said take away the privileged parking of states members for a month to enable them to see at first hand the reality of the parking problem in town.

The next best option is to take away their seat in the big house at the elections, and then when they come to town they will have to que and pay or be booked like every one else. Only half a job done, it should have so obviously been park and under ground parking.

From David Warr, president, Jersey Chamber of Commerce.

I HAVE to agree wholeheartedly with Guy de Faye’s excellent letter (JEP, 28 June).
The new Millennium Park will be a wonderful community facility in the heart of St Helier. However, its ongoing maintenance will place a significant burden on the purse of the States for generations to come, and that means us as taxpayers.

As Mr de Faye points out, there is an excellent opportunity to generate sufficient income from this site to not only minimize the cost of maintaining this facility, but also to add a real asset to the Island as a whole.
An underground car park would benefit local businesses providing vital services in this area. It would provide shopper parking, it would provide overnight parking for residents and, during the day, spaces for commuter parking – a guaranteed income stream with minimum risk.
If reducing the burden of the States is going to make any headway, opportunities like this have to be grasped with both hands. This could be a great example of the private sector working hand in hand with the States delivering a facility that neither would be fully able to deliver on their own.
I, like Mr De Faye, urge the members of the States to do right by our community and get this parking facility built. If we don’t start to take up these once in a lifetime opportunities, don’t be surprised to see further GST creep. Someone has to pay the bills, and that someone is, increasingly, you and me.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/07/05/the-states-will-need-this-source-of-revenue/

Boatyboy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:43:31 PM by boatyboy »