Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
A Better Jersey / Re: The coming election
« Last post by Jerry Gosselin on Yesterday at 09:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the pointers Jerry.
What it looks like to, is that unless you are on low income and have little or no savings, there is no across the board child benefit entitlement?

£9,137 in savings is hardly little or no savings! It's even more than that for couples and pensioners. The States have gradually been increasing the income disregard over the past decade (strongly encouraged by Southern and Reform Jersey). Each increase has the effect of entitling more households for Income Support who are actually working in quite well-paid jobs with respectable savings and maybe paying income tax as well. Obviously this is being funded by cuts in benefits to those in more desperate need much further down the income scale.

The longer this continues, the more chance you'll have of getting benefit... but on the down side you'll probably have to trip over more homeless people in shop doorways on your way to work. We will eventually get to the stage where States Members themselves will be entitled to means-tested benefits. When that happens, they'll have to split the Income Support section into two, creating a new 'queue-less' exclusive service for the privileged claimants with nice sofas, free coffee / 4G wi-fi, no threat of sanctions and advisers who don't blatantly lie to you about the law, while the remainder are moved to a separate town backwater location which the media will never bother to visit (and the advisers continue to blatantly lie to you about the law as they do now!).
General Discussion / Tap water
« Last post by shortport on Yesterday at 06:44:28 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on drinking Jersey's tap water.As we have some of the highest nitrate levels in the world in our water,are they in our tap water or can they be removed by a filter jug.It might be that our mains tap water is completely acceptable.The reason i'm asking is because I want to to stop buying bottled water to reduce the amount of plastic waste,i'm just a bit concerned about what comes out the tap.Has there been any independent tests done on our tap water?Any opinions?
« Last post by Fritz on Yesterday at 05:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the pointers Jerry.
What it looks like to, is that unless you are on low income and have little or no savings, there is no across the board child benefit entitlement?
« Last post by Jerry Gosselin on Yesterday at 09:44:07 AM »
I,m a single parent.(And have been for the past ten years).
No States department, Tax office or S.S, have ever informed me of any benefit I may be due.
Does this only apply to unemployed?

Rule No. 1: They never come to you to offer you money - you have to go to them!

No, it is an in-work benefit so you don't have to be unemployed.

Entitlement is based around the total value of components that your household would be entitled to receive minus your income. Here is an example that I have copied from page 38 of the Income Support Policy Guidelines 2016 (version 4.0):

Sarah and Andrew lived in a rented flat with their baby. They are entitled to
components for
Two adults
One child
Household
Housing – rented two-bedroom flat.
The components add up to £539.53 (per week)
Their calculated income (weekly earnings, net of disregard) is £300 a week
They receive £539.53 - £300 Income Support benefit = £239.53 a week

They also take into account your savings / capital. A single adult aged under 65 can have £9,137 disregarded before it begins to affect their Income Support.

In working out your weekly employment earnings, they deduct your 6% Social Security contributions and then disregard 25% of the figure net of SS contributions to come to the net amount of earnings that is taken into account. This net amount (£300 per week in the example above) is then deducted from the total value of the components your household is entitled to receive (£539.53 per week in the example above).

If you are renting, the accommodation needs to be appropriate to your needs, e.g. a couple with no children renting a two-bedroom flat would presumably only receive the housing component up to the value of a one-bedroom flat unless there were valid medical reasons why they both needed to sleep separately.

The current maximum housing component for a one-bedroom flat in the private sector is £200.13 per week. If you are paying more than that then you would only receive £200.13 per week and would have to cover the excess yourself (but different situation if you rent from a social housing landlord like Andium).

The rates of Income Support are here:

https://www.gov.je/Benefits/IncomeSupport/Pages/Rates.aspx

There is an online calculator which you can complete and submit in order to get an idea of how much you may be entitled to:

https://www.gov.je/Benefits/IncomeSupport/Pages/IncomeSupportCalculator.aspx

As I have probably pointed out before on this website, Social Security's arbitrary policy of only paying a single person's housing component up to the value of a bedsit (whereas for nearly two decades before Income Support a single person could receive rebate for up to a one-bedroom flat) has probably played a major part in forcing more single people onto the streets and into temporary accommodation. This is because bedsits were (rightly) going out of fashion a decade ago and weren't being built any more - and certainly not by the States. Moreover, a lot of bedsits in the island are traditionally leased to those without quallies, hence those rents are higher. Now you are getting young locals having to compete with newcomers for a limited supply of over-priced bedsits because of this retrograde benefits policy, which has created a new demand for small, cramped accommodation that our parents and grandparents fought so hard to eliminate. It would also seem that a single person living in a one-bedroom flat and who is receiving the Housing component up to the value of a one bedroom flat (because they already occupied that one bedroom flat before the new rules were introduced) and who was then evicted from that accommodation because of a sanction would presumably no longer be entitled to receive that one bedroom component if some time later they wanted to try for another one bedroom flat after a period of homelessness or temporary accommodation. It would seem they would then be caught by the new rules and would only receive the subsidy up to the value of a bedsit. I am not certain on this because I don't know of any real cases but that is my belief of what would happen. Therefore a person who may have lived in one-bedroom accommodation for decades but suddenly falls on hard times, possibly because of the Breach 3 sanction, may face having to live in either temporary accommodation or bedsits for the rest of their lives, unless they can somehow qualify for social housing (but unlikely if they're single).

There is nobody in the States - least of all Reform Jersey - who have ever made an issue of this unfair treatment of single people on Income Support or campaigned to have this Income Support policy reversed. No Minister has ever been held to account. It's just a disgrace. Who on earth are these people supposed to vote for in May that might actually help them?
General Discussion / Re: New hospital
« Last post by Fritz on January 20, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
I know exactly the episode you are talking about and got my information directly, "From the horse,s mouth", (Developer involved). I cannot prove, (And have no intention of trying to because it doesn,t really bother me), this as fact. Its just the way things happened and corruption in politics was common knowledge.
Difference then was that politicians were less corruptible because they were independently wealthy.
Nowadays, being on fixed salaries, "career politicians", are more vulnerable to external sources boosting their income.
« Last post by boatyboy on January 20, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »

Yes I spoke with a politician that knows all about the delivery of a new Mercedes years ago.

However the politician involved has long gone. Besides this story which appears very well known, needs proof from someone of standing employed by the States or a member of Government. Not going to happen is it ?

BB
« Last post by boatyboy on January 20, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »

Good question Fritz - Jerry is more switched on regarding benefits and how social security work.

I personally know of a hard working Portugese married couple, both employed,paid all their taxes etc, who received child benefit for their daughter for years. This is going back a decade, it may be worth checking with social security but well worth doing some research in my opinion. I am pretty sure there exists a " child benefit " payable per child.

BB.
« Last post by Fritz on January 20, 2018, 02:14:36 AM »
I,m a single parent.(And have been for the past ten years).
No States department, Tax office or S.S, have ever informed me of any benefit I may be due.
Does this only apply to unemployed?
« Last post by Chevalier Blanc on January 19, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
When the new states members come in May, then they might just go back and take it away again. Anything to get votes.
« Last post by Fritz on January 19, 2018, 02:53:19 AM »
Quite a few of our previous leaders were bought for less than a couple of pints and an occasional lunch, (With the odd new car thrown in on certain lucrative projects by private developers). These were unpaid, already well off, hobby politicians who buzzed on their own egos. How corruptible are our current crop who rely, solely, on their position in government for income?
All the quiet ones come to mind.
How many paid States Members do we have now who do, or say, the square root of nothing but still draw a salary?
Old cliche, "Its the quiet ones you should be wary of".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10