Author Topic: FREE milk for primary school children will end this year  (Read 4758 times)

Jason the Maverick

FREE milk for primary school children will end this year and the money will be used to fund the finance industry's bid for new business from the Far East, it is claimed.

According to a proposal tabled this week by Deputy Geoff Southern, the £200,000 that had been funding the free school milk will be diverted to new initiatives to bring new business to the Island from India and China.

Economic Development Minister Philip Ozouf announced on Thursday that around £400,000 from departmental budgets would be used to appoint permanent representatives for Jersey in both countries.

However, Deputy Southern is now going to appeal directly to the States to safeguard school milk for another year and is looking for support for £180,000 to again give youngsters free milk.

He wants the House to request Senator Ozouf to put the money back into the Economic Development business plan for 2009.

Now I always believed free milk at primary schools was something that came from the 2nd world war for health benefits.  So is free milk really necessary nowadays?

Davros Le Sueur

Re: FREE milk for primary school children will end this year
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »
FREE milk for primary school children will end this year and the money will be used to fund the finance industry's bid for new business from the Far East, it is claimed.

According to a proposal tabled this week by Deputy Geoff Southern, the £200,000 that had been funding the free school milk will be diverted to new initiatives to bring new business to the Island from India and China.

Economic Development Minister Philip Ozouf announced on Thursday that around £400,000 from departmental budgets would be used to appoint permanent representatives for Jersey in both countries.

However, Deputy Southern is now going to appeal directly to the States to safeguard school milk for another year and is looking for support for £180,000 to again give youngsters free milk.

He wants the House to request Senator Ozouf to put the money back into the Economic Development business plan for 2009.

Now I always believed free milk at primary schools was something that came from the 2nd world war for health benefits.  So is free milk really necessary nowadays?

Fairly typical of the States.
Naturally this will hit those who can physicaly least afford it.
Never mind at least we can get trade from humanitarian China and fund GST 28's Ozouf on his 'holidays'.  >:( >:(>:(

Offline Bea

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »

i would say yes .Important to protect bones and teeth of developing children .Milk is pretty expensive over here .Our dental services cost exhorbitant amounts .Even though there is a dental facility provided for young children,many say it is pretty inadequate.
I wonder if any research has ever been done on dental health here.?It is beyond the budget of many even to just go for a check up and clean.If you need major work ,you need a bank loan to get it done I wonder how the state of our teeth compare with other European countries? Poland has one of the best dental services.Wonder what our Polish community think of our system,would be interesting to find out.?

Offline Deputy Dawg

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »

In the UK people have cereal breakfast with milk usually once a day, some more. In Jersey, the milk is so expensive that it is not used in the same way as the UK and those on limited money tend to provide other options for breakfast, thus the only major source of calcium is removed if you remove the free milk. The only way that they can legitimately stop free milk in schools is to remove the milk monopoly or reduce the price to a level that will encourage parents to foster milk use and cereals in the mornings.

I don't care personally if it is Jersey milk or UK milk, once it has been soaking in corn flakes for a couple of minutes, they taste the same, so why not the same price? If Guernsey can provide milk to their people cheaply, why can't Jersey?

Offline Bea

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
In the UK people have cereal breakfast with milk usually once a day, some more. In Jersey, the milk is so expensive that it is not used in the same way as the UK and those on limited money tend to provide other options for breakfast, thus the only major source of calcium is removed if you remove the free milk. The only way that they can legitimately stop free milk in schools is to remove the milk monopoly or reduce the price to a level that will encourage parents to foster milk use and cereals in the mornings.

I don't care personally if it is Jersey milk or UK milk, once it has been soaking in corn flakes for a couple of minutes, they taste the same, so why not the same price? If Guernsey can provide milk to their people cheaply, why can't Jersey?
I have noticed when staying with relatives on mainland,how much they use a  day compared to us .The kids come home from school and have a glass, maybe another one with dinner.
Here we tend to say "Go easy on the milk" as if it is a luxury commodity .
To make a milky coffee here is a treat

Offline Bea

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
Fairly typical of the States.
Naturally this will hit those who can physicaly least afford it.
Never mind at least we can get trade from humanitarian China and fund GST 28's Ozouf on his 'holidays'.  >:( >:(>:(
Will be interesting to see how the voting goes on that one .Perhaps with all the uproar of taxing food ,and how the pblic have reacted to that one .We might have some members who have seen the errors of their ways ?

Offline Deputy Dawg

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
I have noticed when staying with relatives on mainland,how much they use a  day compared to us .The kids come home from school and have a glass, maybe another one with dinner.
Here we tend to say "Go easy on the milk" as if it is a luxury commodity .
To make a milky coffee here is a treat

I think in Jersey milk IS a luxury item.

Petrol is taxed at about 65% is dug out of a well in war torn under developed countries, is pumped hundreds of miles to the coast then shipped thousands of miles to refineries where it undergoes chemical changes one of which produces petrol, which is then shipped hundreds or thousands of miles, delivered to a collecting area before being pumped into lorries and then delivered to petrol stations for you to stick in the car.

Milk on the other hand comes out of a cow in Jersey! AND COST MORE THAN PETROL.