Author Topic: Sean Power - States Member!  (Read 45846 times)

Offline Sean Power

Re: Sean Power - States Member!
« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2010, 03:01:41 AM »

All,

I do enjoy this  PJ forum. I do log on usually early morning and then a couple of times a day.  PJ is a good steady gauge of life in Jersey. The other blogs seem to polarise opinion.

I do also watch the other blogs.

However, apart from the occasional post here, I have learned to stay well out of blogs and blog postings.

Sean

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #301 on: September 28, 2010, 04:36:06 AM »
I wouldn't say the local blogs tend to polarise opinion; I'm not sure how widespread they are as an effective medium for opinion, although for putting information in the public domain, they can be as good as, if not better than newspapers, because they can put a lot of data out without worrying about whether it will get people to buy papers (or keep viewers or listeners). But as opinion setters, the blog count of Stuart Syvret's blog did not turn into as many votes (and likewise popularity at hustings often doesn't translate well into votes).

Local bloggers have their own definite opinions, and some do tend to be fairly narrow in their range, although Voice has highlighted some more general social issues from time to time, but most of the issues are related to Haut de la Garenne, and child protection issues in Jersey - not that that is a bad thing in itself, but there are other things one can blog about.

Of course when matters descend to name calling and trading insults (and there is still too much of that), it doesn't advance any debate or discussion. If that's what Sean means by "polarising", I'd heartily concur with him.

But part of writing a blog is to present opinions and arguments, otherwise why write? Newspapers own blogs (such as the Guardian) present that kind of thing as well. The question is not really whether one is writing from a point of view - everyone has a point of view, whether it is implicit or explicit - but whether one decides to appeal to a readership largely of people who agree with you, or engage with the wider world.

Personally, when someone like Senator Shenton comes out with a statement

Philosophy, like sociology and psychology, is one of those degrees that people do when they're not quite sure what vocation they want to follow. It's a fun-time 4 years, open to stoners, egocentrics and those that love the sound of their own voice, who will finish the course even more confused at what they want to do in life and probably end up working at a convenience store.

I think he has already decided to polarise opinion, and is playing to the public gallery and it is entirely as fair to critique him on a blog, as it is to write a letter to the JEP (as someone did).

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:40:59 AM by tonytheprof »

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #302 on: September 28, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »
Hi Sean

A couple of points

"However, apart from the occasional post here, I have learned to stay well out of blogs and blog postings."

Is that because you got interviewed by the cops regarding that leaked email on the F Blog ?

Have been checking your voting on Hansard, and my i say, what a fine speech you gave regarding the £400,000 for Finance.

I was wandering how that alliance has been getting on since you got the booze tax dropped, you know, how you Hilton and some others were putting heads above the parapet and fighting the fight.

I believe everyone should be made to read Hansard ( then they would know why we are ****ed )

Sean, i,m not sure where you and the rest of your right wingers are taking us, but, i guess we will be finding out very soon.

not even a free milk for the Kids

That tells me we are seriously skint or morally ****ed

rs

one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #303 on: September 28, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »
I'm not sure that "left wing" or "right wing" are necessarily suitable for assessing Deputies in a Jersey context. Senators are islandwide, and so the voting on Senatorial elections tends to be on islandwide issues. It is possible to see a "left wing" or "right wing" on issues (although boundaries are not as rigid as perhaps in the UK in the 1980s Thatcher / Foot period)

With regard to Deputies, there are both islandwide and parochial issues, and while island wide issues can be labeled "right wing" or "left wing", parochial issues almost invariable are not; they are centred on parishioners concerns, such as problems with parking, traffic lights, litter, housing developments etc - and in my experience of "election watching", parish issues almost always trump island issues when it comes to the vote. When he took his eye off the ball, Alister Layzell was ejected from St Aubin, Jerry Dorey tried to place the incinerator within his own district and was removed. Jacqui Hilton consistently addresses local concerns and tops the poll. Where there is more poverty and associated problems, the JDA (or former JDA) will do well, not because of ideology, but because they are addressing the town residents concerns - the bedsit land of overcrowded rooms etc.

My late partner Annie often suggested that to bring terms like "left wing" or "right wing" to Jersey and the whole class conflict model of the UK over is to engage in trying to make Jersey fit a UK pattern, and could be a sort of "cultural imperialism".

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #304 on: September 28, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
Tony

Don't complicate things

Sean is a straight right winger, now i,m not saying thats good or bad, we are where we are. Was batting for the COM before being in the COM  and now is a loyal supporter.

They have one vote in the states on island wide issues

There speeches are mostly a joke and vote with the COM

Look on Hansard check the Voting on the business plan

Sean, when in Ireland what side off the fence was your politics ?

rs

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #305 on: September 28, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »
I'm not complicating things. In Jersey, there's always a difference between island issues and local issues; sometimes there is an overlap, sometimes there is none.

Whether right or left wing in UK terms, Deputies always tend to what might be called "the left" with regard to Parish issues, i.e, they tend to defend their parish's position over against the more centralised planning of the States.

So if, to take an example, the Housing Minister decided to plonk lots of housing estates or luxury homes in St Brelade's (which most locals think already has more than its fair share of housing), that would certainly be  a mark against them when it came to elections.

Now a Senator can cheerfully ask for massive rezoning in already built up areas or greenfield sites (as Freddie Cohen and Carolyn Labey have pointed out), and do so with impunity as far as facing local opposition as long as voters in other parishes support their actions. Equally, by opposing uneccesary development (unless you are a builder!), the local Deputy and Constable, while on opposite sides of the fence with regard to islandwide measures (GST for example), will often sit on the same side with regard to protecting their parish interests. Grouville and St Lawrence are two examples of this.

In the UK, local issues don't feature very highly in elections; parties and mandates do for MPs. But in Jersey, I would argue that local issues often dominate in deciding who is to be a Deputy or Constable.

As a local Deputy, Mike Vibert fought against a golf course and for a country park and won a lot of local support, which help boost him in the Senatorials. Now a golf course is in a way very much for the establishment at play, for a privileged few, the country park is for everyone to enjoy.

Do the Parish Deputies get stuck in with the Battle of Flowers? What has your Deputy done for your Parish? Have they opposed (like Jacqui Hilton) the encroachment of building on fields? How they helped with Parish events? Are they good on getting back to you if you have a problem? (If I emailed former Constable Max De La Haye, he was in touch within 24 hours) What are they doing about parking problems? Residents parking permits (like Simon Crowcroft)? Do Constables try to keep a tight control over spending (and keep rates down - extremely popular with voters!)? What is being done for the elderly in the Parish? Safety on roads? Support for local farm shops and farmers? Large houses on sites close to St Brelade's beach? Do they take the Parish point of view where it conflicts with the Island one?

These are the issues which concern Parishioners - and a Deputy or Constable who does a lot in this respect gets more votes on that basis rather than on Island issues, which, quite honestly, mostly tend to bore the proverbial man on the Clapham omnibus except where they are hit by them.

But as the population at large are nearly all not effected by the same cutbacks, only smaller subgroups, there is rarely as strong a protest vote on Island issues as there is on Parish issues. Daphne Minihane protests rightly on behalf of pensions (with many recently shown by the survey on the poverty line), but pensioners don't make up even 20% of the island wide vote, so they can often be ignored. Ditto the mentally or physically handicapped and their carers when support services or funding is reduced etc.

rogueelement

« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »
Tony

Don't complicate things

Sean is a straight right winger, now i,m not saying thats good or bad, we are where we are. Was batting for the COM before being in the COM  and now is a loyal supporter.

They have one vote in the states on island wide issues

There speeches are mostly a joke and vote with the COM

Look on Hansard check the Voting on the business plan

Sean, when in Ireland what side off the fence was your politics ?

rs

In your very humble opinion of course !
JHC rico , have a day off !

Offline satellit

« Reply #307 on: September 30, 2010, 02:41:50 AM »
In your very humble opinion of course !
JHC rico , have a day off !

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #308 on: October 02, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
Hi Sean

A couple of points

"However, apart from the occasional post here, I have learned to stay well out of blogs and blog postings."

Is that because you got interviewed by the cops regarding that leaked email on the F Blog ?

Have been checking your voting on Hansard, and my i say, what a fine speech you gave regarding the £400,000 for Finance.

I was wandering how that alliance has been getting on since you got the booze tax dropped, you know, how you Hilton and some others were putting heads above the parapet and fighting the fight.

I believe everyone should be made to read Hansard ( then they would know why we are Roseed )

Sean, i,m not sure where you and the rest of your right wingers are taking us, but, i guess we will be finding out very soon.

not even a free milk for the Kids

That tells me we are seriously skint or morally Roseed

rs

Hi Sean

I asked how you and the Hilton alliance was getting on in the chamber? you know taking the fight to them heads above the parapet kind of thing

No chance you voted against all those amendments concerning the Children of Jersey

I think i might have had a post removed

rs

ole razzy

« Reply #309 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
Under new house rules linking to local, national and international online news sites and blogs is permitted.

To read the press statement concerning Sean Power's resignation go to http://ricosorda.blogspot.com

Linking to offensive material is still very much a no no!

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #310 on: February 02, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
However, apart from the occasional post here, I have learned to stay well out of blogs and blog postings.

Sean

Priceless. ::)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #311 on: February 02, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »
Priceless. ::)

All,

I do enjoy this  PJ forum. I do log on usually early morning and then a couple of times a day.  PJ is a good steady gauge of life in Jersey. The other blogs seem to polarise opinion.

I do also watch the other blogs.

Sean

Dammit!!!! You beat me to it!!!!!!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2011, 09:00:51 PM »
Now Sean Power has been removed (rather like a cousin - once removed),
Will Operation Rectangle be know as Operation Triangle?
I think we ought to know!!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »
Would that be an obtuse or acute triangle then?

Definition of:

acute: Keenly perceptive or discerning.

obtuse:  Lacking quickness of perception or intellect. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:25:35 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

ole razzy

« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
He is no doubt a polygon. But a polygon of virtue?