Author Topic: Shona Pitman against more money for States Members.  (Read 2618 times)

Offline boatyboy

Shona Pitman against more money for States Members.
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »

St Helier Deputy Shona Pitman wants to freeze States members allowances.

From next year it has being suggested they get an extra £350, bringing their annual allowance up to £4,000.

Instead Deputy Pitman thinks members should make savings by sharing office space.

She is asking the States to investigate how this could be done.

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=495802

I was under the impression we…………. all…………….had to tighten our belts and yet the states members are collectively being paid £17,500 more. Not really on is it. The amount may not be large but it is the intent and the leading from the front which is the issue here.

How much did the latest trip by a handful of civil servants to China cost plus the total cost of Freddie and Phillips none signing trip  ? Still we are not told, probably just lost in a budget somewhere.

IMO Shona Pitman is correct

Offline man in the street

Re: Shona Pitman against more money for States Members.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »
lead by example ,   i feel the same way, our states members , should not get any more money in any shape of form.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »
They should pay for parking, lunches etc out of their salaries the same as the rest of us.

Offline Bentos

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:09:50 AM »

Perhaps if the Pitman's had chosen not to take their pay rise she might have more credibility

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 01:54:10 AM »
More?

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:17 AM »
She has the right idea, don't think her colleagues will agree with her though.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
Now that states members get payed it is because it is now a job.
No more honorary members as in the past. New members see it as a job. So in which case they should come under the umbrella like the rest of the population and yes pay for their parking, lunch etc etc just like the rest of us.
We employ them so we must have to know that they are doing the job in a correct way, so there must be a committee or something like that looking at what they are doing to make sure that we are getting value for money. There must be total transparency in everything they do.
Maybe the question should be asked on the election meetings around the Parishes about what the candidates think about paying their own way just like everybody else.

Offline LindaCorby

• Jersey Rights
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:34:40 AM »
She has the right idea, don't think her colleagues will agree with her though.

As you know I am standing for Senator and Deputy Shona Pitman kindly proposed me, if you would like you would like to read her proposal speech you will find it on  this link [url]http://www.jerseyrights.com/?p=41url]

If I was lucky enough to be elected I for one would back this idea, there is too much greed going on, if one person has to tighten their belt then everyone should have to.

Maybe you should ask all those standing for election this question at the hustings?  ;)

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »
Glad you are standing Linda.  I wish you every success.  I am not sure how many people I am able to vote for yet  but I have three people on my list and you and Mark Forskitt are on my 'vote for' list.

Cali :)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline LindaCorby

• Jersey Rights
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Glad you are standing Linda.  I wish you every success.  I am not sure how many people I am able to vote for yet  but I have three people on my list and you and Mark Forskitt are on my 'vote for' list.

Cali :)
Thank you  Calimachon, I will not let you down if lucky enough to be elected :)

Offline Voice of Reason

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 03:30:30 AM »
This is a logical step, and naturally one we will likely all favour... However, have to remain sceptical that this has recently come to the forefront. Deputy Pitman has had years to put forward this proposition ... Why now? Does one need to ask the question?