Author Topic: Failed attempt to control population  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
Failed attempt to control population
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/06/04/members-agree-to-let-the-population-rise/

If Daniel was so keen to stop any more people, he could always vote with his feet! After all if you read his personal blurb, he "came" to the Island, like a good many others!!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline stoneface

Re: Failed attempt to control population
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
He's alright, Jack. He's in, so raise the drawbridge!

Reminds me of all the home owners eager to stop any more being built.
"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it." - John Stuart Mill

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »
I say lets build build build

Come on lets all do it ,,drive around those beautiful parishes man there are loads of green fields st.john,st.mary,st ouen, trinity st.martin loads so lets build build build...

And when those ****stables come out shouting and screaming check there voting records they backed it or is st.helier on its way to being one huge ghetto ..

Housing estates is the way to go and the first one should be next to cohens house some nice fields up there

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Dundee

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »
Most if not all of the Island is of immigrant descent if you go back enough.

Perhaps some appreciation should be given to those who have come to the Island and value and try to maintain its quality features.

The world crisis is over population so any measures to increase the Island population will only be to the detriment to Island in the long term it will not resolve anything other than create more long term problems to the infrastructure that is already struggling to reach accepted standards.

Offline Lieve

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:34:56 PM »
Well, my husband and I are already doing OUR bit to get the population in Jersey down: we are getting the flock out of here! Less than a month to go and Jersey will be -4. I can't wait !

Offline stoneface

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
Most if not all of the Island is of immigrant descent if you go back enough.

If you go back far enough, we're all immigrant africans.

The idea that any given grouping of homo sapiens has a special right to any particular bit of dirt is pretty silly, really.
"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it." - John Stuart Mill

Offline danrok

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »
I'd suspect that we do need some immigrants, just to keep the population at it's current level.

Also, adult immigrants also have the advantage of being able to work on day one, unlike locally born children who cost a lot of money before they start putting something back.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:20:50 AM »
I'd suspect that we do need some immigrants, just to keep the population at it's current level.

Also, adult immigrants also have the advantage of being able to work on day one, unlike locally born children who cost a lot of money before they start putting something back.

And to keep the gene pool clean!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 07:44:26 AM »
Gordon Brown

"And to keep the gene pool clean"

I often wonder if this was the real
reason for the introduction of, "Quallies"?

Breed with a local if you want a decent home.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »
Fritzy, I couldn't have put it more succinctly, A lesson learnt from an A Hilter, former Jackboot salesman, on genetic modification of the race. I suspect that during the occupation that incest was inlawed and kept on the books as some kind of cruel joke!

Ahhh The Jersey way!!

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
Well, my husband and I are already doing OUR bit to get the population in Jersey down: we are getting the flock out of here! Less than a month to go and Jersey will be -4. I can't wait !

Sorry to see you go.  I wish you "Bon Voyage" and a better life where you are moving to.

I am sure if the recession (Are there green shoots on the horizon?) had not hit so hard you may not have had such a bad experience in Jersey.  Please don't go away thinking all the inhabitants are plebs though. 

Cali

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Ruddler

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
Yes I was surprised at how many "new arrivals" in the States were trying to pull the ladder up behind them.  Geoff Southern, Big Dan, Judy Martin, Alan Breckon, Mike Higgins, Debbie de Sousa - all voted in favour of Dan's proposition to keep the population the same as now (How?  Selective culling?).  It's a bit baffling.  I accept immigration is unfortunately needed, we can't go back and to stop dead in the water, like a shark, means drowning and sinking!  Although I don't know what the solution is, I suspect that if the recession is as bad as predicted, enough people will go "home" that population growth might be the least of our worries!

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »
Did anyone notice that the Polish people are more willing to go back to Poland because their government is making an effort to give them jobs for a decent wage. Whereas in Jersey instead of giving people a decent wage we (not me) would rather look to the next place where we can get cheap labor, no questions asked, Romania is next i believe.

It annoyed me in the JEP the other day that three people robbed a shop and they were according to the JEP latvians or lithuanians (i think), now I would be interested to know if these people had previous convictions in their home countries and if so why were they not refused entry to Jersey. I can probably answer it myself in that we welcome anyone as long as they are either cheap labor or rich.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:27:52 PM by imacrappaud »

Offline Nellie Macon

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
Lieve - so sorry it hasn't worked out for you over here. Best wishes from the family for your future wherever you go.

Offline danrok

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »
Did anyone notice that the Polish people are more willing to go back to Poland because their government is making an effort to give them jobs for a decent wage. Whereas in Jersey instead of giving people a decent wage we (not me) would rather look to the next place where we can get cheap labor, no questions asked, Romania is next i believe.

It annoyed me in the JEP the other day that three people robbed a shop and they were according to the JEP latvians or lithuanians (i think), now I would be interested to know if these people had previous convictions in their home countries and if so why were they not refused entry to Jersey. I can probably answer it myself in that we welcome anyone as long as they are either cheap labor or rich.

The States of Jersey are currently researching and carrying out humanzee experiments, in an old shed at Howard Davis Farm.  These human-chimp hybrids will work for free, and can simply be shot if caught stealing booze from Stampers.