Author Topic: A strike of all public sector manual workers?  (Read 8123 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: A strike of all public sector manual workers?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »
The trouble is that private contractor will only do what the agreement states.  When a states worker goes to do a job and he sees something else needs doing he does it. He then reports back to his manager what he found and what he did to mend the fault. The private contractor would come back and report what he has seen and if you want it repaired then that will cost more because it is not in the contract. The states will end up paying more in the long run. Also i will state now that states workers do take a pride in their job and money just cannot buy that. A good example is the hospital cleaners they will do what ever the sister says. Private worker on his contract may not have clean under the bed or behind cupboard where as the hospital cleaner will otherwise they may just get the sack. Image sister running her finger over a curtain rail and having dust on her finger, tells the cleaner to clean all the rails. The private cleaner will not do it because it is not in their contract. If you want me to do it then it will be a new contract costing more.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:10:45 PM by Chevalier Blanc »

Online Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:44 PM »
These are worthy points you make, CB.

Does anybody know whether or not the hospital cleaning services will be affected by these proposed job cuts?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »
Like most other services it will be put out to tender.
Cheapest tender wins contract.
Private contractor cuts corners to maximise profit.

"Simples".

Online Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 11:06:51 PM »

Sadly, Jersey's Unite union isn't the best at getting its message across during industrial disputes ...

I wonder if one of them read my comments - they have just opened a Twitter account in the past few weeks! :o

https://twitter.com/@UniteJersey

Now all they have to do is learn how to write tweets that are relevant to the issues affecting their workers here in Jersey as well as being informative for the rest of us. For example, whatever happened to that petition on behalf of threatened TTS (Infrastructure) staff? How many signatures did they collect? Was it presented to the States? If they are still collecting signatures, when and where can the public sign it? Where is their Jersey HQ these days (the New Street office appeared to be empty and derelict when I last stopped outside it) and what are the opening hours?

These are all very basic questions that I shouldn't even need to ask and social media is the ideal platform for Unite to provide the answers.