Author Topic: PJ Downtime.  (Read 3526 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
PJ Downtime.
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:02:15 AM »
Hi to all PJ readers and posters.

During the last weekend you may have seen that Planet Jersey went offline for a day or three depending on which DNS server you go through and some of the post made at that time may have vanished. This was due to a server error and necessitated  a move to a new server with a different IP address and newer name servers and was not planned. My apologies to anyone effected.

There are however a couple of things that have been fixed that I didn't know about. One of them was the posting of complaints or reporting of posts not coming through to the team since the last move. This has now been fixed and will in fact copy the report to all moderators to ensure that it does get received. My apologies again to anyone who left a message that way and thought we were ignoring them. PM's to moderators will have got through as normal.

We will be adding a few extra niceties to the site this month (JULY) which should enhance your visit to the site. Please feel free to submit items that you would like to see that we currently don't provide or additions to the site that you believe would enhance the experience for our visitors.

GATTACA

Re: PJ Downtime.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:45:20 PM »
We are moving servers again.

Please note that there is a possibility of lost posts over the next 12 hours or so as both servers will be online. If you post to the old one it may not show up when we update (depends on the backups etc).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards

Gattaca

GATTACA

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:20:09 PM »
Dear Users,

Please note that the database will be restored tonight, that means that any posts you put on this forum will be overwritten by the older servers log. If you post between now and the morning, the data will likely be lost.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:52:36 AM »
Many of you have not been able to access the old server due to the fact that the IP address for that server was being blocked by the name servers accessed by many in Jersey (no names of the company involved, but if you couldn't see us, you use it).

We were however able to access the site as we use the DNS servers from OpenDNS.com which allowed us to take the information from there and place it on a new server which has a single IP address and so cannot be linked to any other sites that may be listed on spam lists (though PJ wasn't)

In order for you the visitor to be able to view this and other sites that some may believe you should not see or read, I urge you all to change your DNS servers to point to OpenDNS.com which will allow you access to all those sites that you didn't know you were prevented from seeing.

You only need to add the name server IP's of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 for it to work, though for the parents among you, you can purchase for $9.95 a deluxe access which will allow you to moderate what your child can access and also keep up to a year’s logs of the sites you or your family access. There is also a free version which is limited to just 2 weeks of logs but still provides most of the functionality. There are instructions on the site in the knowledge base under the support tag with walk through guides to add the DNS numbers to your operating system or modem/router.

I would urge you all to change as soon as possible.

http://www.opendns.com/support/kb/  choose platforms, or routers and modems