Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Referendum
« Last post by Chevalier Blanc on Yesterday at 03:47:56 PM »
Well as long as bailhache does not have anything to do with writing the question on the referendum then it should be a straight forward question.
Do you want the bailiff to be the speaker in the states?    yes/no.
Knowing bailhache he will try anything he can to word it so the answer is YES.
Just look at the last referendum that he put his fingers in. what a right cockup that was. It was worded so that the answer B would always win.
If the bailiff does lose his place in the chamber, will he have to take a pay cut or freeze his pay?  I mean the states are looking at all salaries to save money so it would only be right for him to get a lower wage or freeze it!
A Better Jersey / Re: The coming election
« Last post by Fritz on Yesterday at 12:41:03 AM »
I think that once he got the road outside his own house tidied up a couple of years ago he lost all interest in DFI position.
A Better Jersey / Re: The coming election
« Last post by Jerry Gosselin on November 17, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Is it really true or fake news about Eddie Noel?

I was half asleep early this morning and listening to the local news headlines. The top stories had finished and they were just reading the pointless flim flam and I thought I heard the voice say Eddie Noel was stepping down next year and gave some reason why he was doing it. The story was over in about 5 seconds like it was nothing important. I thought: "Did I really just hear that?" and decided that as I was so tired, I couldn't have heard it correctly.

Then I get up and check the news and there was nothing about it on most media sites, but the BBC site (which announced the story this morning on the radio) had this very understated article, with a tweet from Noel apparently confirming it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-jersey-41932003?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a0eb6a6e4b0572901471e31%26Jersey%20minister%20'stepping%20down'%26&ns_fee=0#post_5a0eb6a6e4b0572901471e31

I am still very cautious. After all, the world wrote off Mugabe this week and he was shown conducting public duties in Zimbabwe today. My fear is that he just means stepping down as a Minister but he'll maintain his unopposed seat for life in St Lawrence.

If he subsequently confirms he's leaving the States then it is truly one of the best news stories for the island this year, particularly for those few employees at DFI whose jobs have not yet been siphoned off on the quiet to private companies. The public have suffered his regime of neglect too. I know a car park in town where the signs on the tarmac have not been painted for so many years that unknowing drivers (usually tourists) have been seen driving in by the exit and vice versa. Cars also park in the motorbike spaces because the sign on the tarmac stating that it is reserved for motorbikes is now completely unreadable. Another driver who arrives home late each night when this car park is full, has taken to parking in a place where he is not supposed to, sometimes restricting the access of pedestrians and other car users. The area is painted with lines making it clear that you can't park there, but once again the paint is so worn away that it seems the police have decided not to ticket this guy overnight in case he brings up the unclear signage in court as a defence.

Anyway thanks for all this, Eddie Noel. You certainly made a difference to Jersey which will linger on for years.

Now please f#*k off and never return!
General Discussion / Re: DATA PROTECTION
« Last post by boatyboy on November 12, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »

Shortport as published in the public domain by Ex Deputy Trevor Pitman

Stuart Syvret and the notorious Data Protection ‘secret court case’ scam

Here, should any readers not be aware, four Establishment proxies (there was actually meant to be five but one refused to go along with the ruse having been written to by Data Protection asking him to come in and join them) including one middle-aged, internet troll and convicted petty criminal we shall call for the sake of humour and upsetting his sense of deluded importance, Boozy D’ Eathreat were provided with the better part of £500,000 of our taxpayers’ money by the Data Protection Commissioner’s Office. These monies being to cover ‘legal advice’ costs to take former Senator Syvret to court and prosecute him regarding material on his internet blog.

The actual cost of the whole scam in fact ran in to millions as I know firsthand from one of those involved in the process. However, what really needs to be focussed on for the purposes of this particular post is that Mr D’ Eathreat was allowed access to this taxpayer’s money despite the fact that what Stuart Syvret had actually written about him being an abusive and cowardly cyber bully was demonstrably true. As at least nine other complainants to the police I am now aware of can confirm. Imagine that, readers – in Jersey such is the break down of law and order that you can now actually be taken to court for telling the truth! All our judiciary need to do to succeed is simply ban you from providing the evidence or calling any witnesses.

Scroll down

http://thebaldtruthjersey.blogspot.co.uk

All credit to Tev. Pitman.

bb
« Last post by shortport on November 12, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
Jersey " Life changing and data protected up to the hilt with a court case held in secret to prove it " but still could not stop the Paradise Papers and the petition against tax havens.
What court case is this referring to?
« Last post by boatyboy on November 12, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
A little snippet from Channel on Line in case you missed it. Could the difference in new legislation be the real reason that Guernsey wants it's own Data Commisioner ? If not why split the roll ?

Quote:

Credit: States of Guernsey

The Data Protection Commissioner for Jersey and Guernsey is to stand down.

Emma Martins will leave the job next March after six years in the role.

Following her resignation, Guernsey's government have decided to create a post specific to the island's needs.

It comes ahead of the introduction of new law on Data Protection which comes into force in May 2018. Currently there are some differences between Jersey and Guernsey's draft legislation.

End.

Jersey " Life changing and data protected up to the hilt with a court case held in secret to prove it " but still could not stop the Paradise Papers and the petition against tax havens.

791,017 have signed. Let's get to 1,000,000

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/paradise_papers_loc/?dl

Article Source:

http://www.itv.com/news/channel/2017-11-09/channel-islands-data-protection-commissioner-to-step-down/

BB

Local Media Reporting / Re: BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.
« Last post by Jerry Gosselin on November 10, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
I have to report this as it is a blatant example of a BBC Jersey 'journalist' (I use the term very loosely) using sly, underhand tactics to make sure that the public could not adversely comment on a news article in which he had allowed Deputy Sam Mezec to claim that he was the subject of a "targeted campaign" by an "organised group" after a Freedom of Information request revealed that Mezec had 3 complaints against him upheld by PPC in November 2015 and was asked to remove some posts from Facebook.

First - the underhand tactics:

It is usual procedure for the BBC to tweet a link to a local news report like this but despite very careful searching on two of the BBC Jersey twitter pages, I cannot find any mention of this article about Mezec. Conveniently, this prevents anyone posting adverse comments about Mezec on Twitter. The report itself contains a link on the BBC Local Live web page enabling a Twitter user to re-tweet it to their followers. However, the very long length of the re-tweet link effectively inhibits any Twitter user from posting anything other than very short comments about it when they initially re-tweet it. Here is the re-tweet link so you can see for yourself the problem:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-jersey-41861397?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a044af7e4b02d7b3a1c882a%26Deputy%20says%20upheld%20complaints%20%27part%20of%20an%20intimidation%20attempt%27%26&ns_fee=0#post_5a044af7e4b02d7b3a1c882a via @BBCNews

I also note that the report hasn't been published on BBC Jersey's Facebook page either. Even more unusually, the report hasn't been mentioned by Reform Jersey on its own Twitter page. If it had, Twitter users could then have commented on it.

Now about the 'journalist' who wrote the report, Ryan Morrison. In the past he has posted tweets on his own Twitter page which have openly supported some Reform Jersey policies, such as the ill-fated Mezec-Lewis electoral reform proposals, which is hardly encouraging from an impartiality perspective.

Second- the report itself:

The really objectionable thing about the structure of this report is that it appears to seek to create a casual link between, on the one hand, Mezec's claims that he has been the target of this mysterious organised group which he has reported to the police, and on the other hand, "a series of similarly worded requests for information on prominent opposition politicians including Deputy Judy Martin and Deputy Mike Higgins" (quoting Ryan Morrison's report).

Morrison goes on to say:

The questions in the FoI request, from an anonymous source, asked about how many propositions and amendments they had brought, whether they were successful, and if they referred to their own parishes.

The main problem with this lazy attempt at linkage is that Freedom of Information requests are supposed to be anonymous.  ::) Therefore all requests are from 'an anonymous source', whether they're asking questions that annoy Mezec and Morrison or not! If the subject of a request (in this case, Mezec) was capable of finding out who posted the request then then this would be a serious breach of confidentiality by the FOI Unit.

Presuming that the FOI Unit has not committed such a serious breach in this case, how on earth would Mezec be able to prove that the person who posted this request is connected to the mysterious organised group that he claims has been targeting him? The answer is that he can't and Morrison should therefore not have crafted his biased report in such a way as to give the impression that a link exists between the two.

It is also not stated what became of Mezec's complaints to the police. Did the complaints have enough substance for charges to be brought against anyone? If no charges were brought then that rather weakens Mezec's case.

Finally, the FOI Law contains an exemption allowing a request to be identified as part of a campaign. Therefore whether or not these series of FOI requests about backbenchers are coming from the same individual (or group of individuals), the States already has the means of not answering them if it suspects they are part of a campaign. So far the FOI Unit has not raised this exemption in respect of these requests about various backbenchers. This rather weakens the implication in Morrison's report that the requests are linked to the earlier 'targeted campaign' that Mezec complained about.

Nobody should be intimidated from making any FOI request because of a perceived fear that they might later be reported to the police by a politician who might be embarrassed by the response to that request. If anyone wants to ask for details about the political history of any backbench politician then they should be perfectly free to do so, in the same way that they are equally free to ask for similar details about the 40+ government supporters in the Assembly. If Mezec can't accept this level of public enquiry about him then he needs to take up a different profession.

World News / Re: Jersey and the Paradise Papers
« Last post by gladiator on November 10, 2017, 04:15:56 AM »
MILLIONS FLOCK TO JERSEY AFTER ISLAND OFFICIALLY DECLARED ‘PARADISE’

Hordes of British holidaymakers have cancelled planned excursions to the Caribbean, Maldives and Fiji after a report has branded the island of Jersey ‘paradise’, despite a long run of Trip Adviser reviews to the contrary.

The island’s new status was revealed in the so-called Paradise Papers, a comprehensive list of the destinations most favoured by the rich and famous, which put Jersey alongside Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and the Isle of Man. The report described the island as ‘the best kept secret of the super-rich’, and ‘ideal for a last-minute diversion, attracting such luminaries as Bono, the Duke of Westminster and the Queen’.

Read more on:

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2017/11/08/millions-flock-to-jersey-after-island-officially-declared-paradise/

;)
« Last post by gladiator on November 08, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
Whilst the Chiefminister Ian Gorst is enjoying himself in the Middle East obviously for the greater good for Jersey, there are more negative revelation in the world news about his island Jersey.

Revealed: As MPs condemn global tax avoidance after the Paradise Papers leak records show their own pension pot has £6m in a Jersey property fund and £6m in Apple, Amazon and Google

The Parliamentary Contributory Pension Fund - which overall was worth £621million in March 2016 - has four property funds, only three of which are UK-based, the Financial Times revealed.
The fourth fund is the Jersey-based BlackRock UK Property Fund and is worth £6.6million.

In 2016 it sold a £14.5m stake in another offshore fund, the Luxembourg-based Morgan Stanley Global Property Fund.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5057513/MPs-pension-fund-invests-6m-Jersey-property-fund.html#ixzz4xp5H8t86

Another evidence of the self-interest of London to keep a good relationship to Jersey.
« Last post by boatyboy on November 08, 2017, 04:13:56 AM »

To be fair let the blacklist also contain Delaware, and the many other low tax regimes. The way the EU feels about the UK at the moment who knows. Certainly the Paradise Papers will not help little Jersey.

The  Express ( Indian )

The island of Jersey, a few kilometres off the coast of France, was where the latest reports said Apple shifted much of its offshore wealth when Ireland changed its laws under pressure from the EU. “It is important that this list comes out (…) in 2017, it must be credible and up to the challenge,” said EU Economics Affairs Commissioner Pierre Moscovici, who is leading the blacklist effort.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/paradise-papers-european-union-pushes-for-first-ever-blacklist-of-tax-havens-4926829/

BB
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10