Author Topic: JEP- is it worth buying ?  (Read 59674 times)

Offline Fritz

Re: JEP- is it worth buying ?
« Reply #360 on: March 04, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »
And sticking ,"Freebie", magazines between the pages to make the rag seem thicker when you pick it up.
JEP basically consists of :
Front page ,"Scoop", that you probably already heard about whilst at work.
Couple of pages of columnists opinions/anecdotes on trivial subjects.
TV listings.(TV will tell you itself whats on, days and even weeks in advance).
Crossword. (Not usually the main attraction when buying a NEWS paper).
Local sport reports, (Which, if you were interested in any particular one, you would already know).
"Hatches,Matches,Dispatches. (As sports reports).

A roll of Andrex would be a better buy. (Its ,"Quilted").

Offline shortport

« Reply #361 on: March 04, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
The 'news' part of the JEP is actually a front for the fact that it is just a paper for property sales.
There are more pages dedicated to estate agents than any actual news,unless  of course there is a story about dogs or dogs poo,which they usually drag out for several pages.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
I've noticed that the JEP website has now introduced video adverts that play automatically from the moment you first visit a particular web page and apparently can't be stopped because there is no 'X' button to press. I can only see an 'X' button to turn the sound off but not to stop the actual video from playing. These are really annoying and will stoke further resentment against the company in the same way that CNN's overuse of a similar technology has provoked much debate on forums as to how to stop these unsolicited videos from playing. CNN's technology defeats Adobe Flash by using HTML5 so turning off Flash Player doesn't work. My initial suspicion is that the JEP's new adverts overcome the switching off of Flash Player in a similar (or the same) way as CNN, making it a nice little revenue earner for this fading newspaper.

One of the problems for me is that I use different devices and browsers to access these websites and a potential solution for one browser may not work on another browser, so it potentially wastes a huge amount of my time trying to find solutions for different browsers by browsing technical forums - time that I simply can't justify.

Here is an example of a JEP web page that I viewed today using the Safari browser where an advert for BUPA automatically played without my consent:

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/business/2017/03/08/states-approve-new-bank-resolution-law/

Comments welcome on what other people think and on potential solutions to stop these videos playing. I've recently downloaded some software for my Firefox browser which claims to stop CNN videos playing but I'm not yet able to say whether or not it has been a complete success. The videos may no longer play but I'm not yet convinced that the software has actually stopped them from continuing to download large amounts of data anyway in the background while I'm on a particular page. I don't yet know whether this software has had any effect stopping the JEP adverts from running because they appear to be placed sporadically and randomly on some JEP web pages but not on others, making it difficult to know whether any video has actually been prevented from starting.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:40:25 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #363 on: March 09, 2017, 12:16:57 AM »
JEP is no different to a freebie magazine nowadays. (Except the price).

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #364 on: March 21, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
Why does jep online still have ancient news on the top line - its so amateur - the very least they could do is keep it updated.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #365 on: July 22, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
The interview on line by Stuart Syvret reported by the JEP has been removed. Some people may say this is typical of the JEP " the forth estate " protecting the Jersey way of acting as the Governments mouth piece to suppress information from the public and outside world. A few days ago you could read the Syvret interview here:

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/features/2017/07/17/stuart-syvret-interview-a-systemic-decades-long-betrayal-of-the-innocents/

However for foreign readers and those that are interested in what the ex Minister for Health including childrens services has revealed it is still available here:

http://photopol.com/pics2/syvret_p1_interview_jep_080717.jpg

Is the one and only local paper worth buying when it again appears to protect the Government by removing critical articles ?

bb

Offline shortport

« Reply #366 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
The harm caused to individuals in this island by its reporting or non reporting and social management should have an independent inquiry of its own.Who is it at the JEP who pulls the strings?It must be the same person/people that have had control for decades.Get rid of those people and we might get some decent content out of our only newspaper.